Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh, most people will tell you this is one of the best features of the car. It works most of the time for most people and when it doesn’t, toggling Bluetooth or reestablishing the phone as a key fixes nearly all issues.

Everything outside of that is an edge case for a great feature IMO.
And yet I was replying to a post from someone who said it hasn't worked for them on more than one occasion. It is still careless of Tesla to leave the effectiveness of their car keys to a constantly changing device they have no control over. What makes it a "great feature" for you though? Is it that you don't have to carry a small key fob in your pocket?

Tesla both offers a keyfob for a reasonable price (compared to other car manufacturers in this space, try pricing a BMW or Mercedes keyfob for sticker shock), for people who want one, and a keycard for those who dont want, or cant use their phone.

Using the phone allows people to have "one less thing" they have to carry around, because your average tesla owner in 2021 IS going to have some sort of smartphone. Most people want to carry less stuff, not more, and having the phone be able to be a key means that a family can easily have additional drivers in the home, if they want to, without losing "their" key.

TL ; DR ... if people want a keyfob, they can buy one for a reasonable price, so this doesnt have to be an "either / or" situation.
I know, I bought a key fob for my M3P and I got two for free with my Model X.

In fact the phone means you have to carry a phone and the key card unless you want to risk not being able to get into your car in the event of a bad phone update, battery death or loss. The keyfob is less likely to break but if you lose it you probably already have a backup with you. Your phone.

For me also, the phone key means I have to have my phone in my pocket even if jumping out of the car and into shop for five minutes or I leave the car unlocked, I get that some people HAVE to have their phone with them all the time but I prefer lighter pockets when I can get them.

Before my M3P fob arrived I found myself carrying a largish phone around in my pocket far more than I usually do but then as you say, you have the choice to pay for the more sensible option these days:) Mind you, it took Tesla a long time to be pushed into providing a keyfob for the Model 3 in the first place.

Eh, most people will tell you this is one of the best features of the car. It works most of the time for most people and when it doesn’t, toggling Bluetooth or reestablishing the phone as a key fixes nearly all issues.

Everything outside of that is an edge case for a great feature IMO.
Agreed. It's been 'set it and forget it' for over a year now. Very rarely do I need to restart the app and I can't remember the last time I've had to mess with bluetooth. It's a godsend.

Reactions: BeeGood
And yet I was replying to a post from someone who said it hasn't worked for them on more than one occasion. It is still careless of Tesla to leave the effectiveness of their car keys to a constantly changing device they have no control over. What makes it a "great feature" for you though? Is it that you don't have to carry a small key fob in your pocket?

You would be hard pressed to find more than a dozen posts like that to reply to. Again, for the majority of people, it works fine with the occasional (easily fixed) hiccup.

I’m failing to understand what is careless here. You can still use a key fob and key card combination. The phone just gives us a third option. They don’t force you to use it. It’s simply a higher tech version of the key fob that allows me to not have an additional something in my pocket (or something to misplace/forget).

Last edited:
You would be hard pressed to find more than a dozen posts like that to reply to. Again, for the majority of people, it works fine with the occasional (easily fixed) hiccup.

I’m failing to understand what is careless here. You can still use a key fob and key card combination. The phone just gives us a third option. They don’t force you to use it. It’s simply a higher tech version of the key fob that allows me to not have an additional something in my pocket (or something to misplace/forget).
When the model 3 first came out, the phone and key card were the only options. It took a lot of community push back to persuade Tesla to make the fob so I'll wager there were more than a dozen people who had issues. That said it IS a great option to have and its great that people like it.

I have absolutely nothing against the phone card except that it is another example of bad Tesla design given it was the only option. Strangely though, if they had released the Model 3 with a fob and the ability to use a phone then it would be a great feature rather than a dumb design.