Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with Reverse/autopilot cancel on the stalk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why not just leave a safe amount of space in front of you? Sure people might cut in, but who cares?
You must not drive the 405 or the 10 freeways for 2 hrs in bumper to bumper traffic every morning and night... it's miserable. I do often try to leave space and leave TACC but at times it becomes impossible, you will just get shoved out of the lane (especially when trying to merge)

I played with this last night. In auto pilot, a car stopped on front of me, then my car came to a stop, then tested...

1) a) with no peddles pressed, lift stalk up (half or all the way). AP cancels. b) Lift again. nothing happens because brake is not pressed.

2) a) press brake. AP cancels. b) lift stalk up (half or all the way). Nothing happens. c) lift stalk up again (all the way). ONLY now will it go into reverse.

I thought it was easier to accidentally go into reverse, as it happened to me once but I guess You really have to want to back up.

Using auto shift under 5 MPH, from F to R is another story.

I have to agree with the OP: the controls on the stalk violate a simple design rule: the same motion on the same control should never have two different effects. The downward tap will put you into Drive if you are stopped and in Park, but it will turn on TACC (and potentially accelerate you immediately) if you are stopped but in Drive. So if you are stopped at a traffic light or, more reasonably, a railroad crossing, and think you are in Park and hit the stalk to go into Drive, all of a sudden you are turning on TACC and can suddenly find yourself accelerating forward. (When I read about people swearing that they were trying to park and their car suddenly accelerated, I wonder if they didn't make this mistake). I also find myself pushing down the stalk when it starts to rain (because in my Subaru that turns on the wipers), and all of a sudden I am accelerating forward because I turned on TACC.
I think that as a minimum the controls should make specific sounds (audible feedback) when they turn on TACC and when they turn on auto-steer, so you don't have to look at the screen to see if they took effect or not.

Reactions: polyphonic54
I have to agree with the OP: the controls on the stalk violate a simple design rule: the same motion on the same control should never have two different effects. The downward tap will put you into Drive if you are stopped and in Park, but it will turn on TACC (and potentially accelerate you immediately) if you are stopped but in Drive. So if you are stopped at a traffic light or, more reasonably, a railroad crossing, and think you are in Park and hit the stalk to go into Drive, all of a sudden you are turning on TACC and can suddenly find yourself accelerating forward. (When I read about people swearing that they were trying to park and their car suddenly accelerated, I wonder if they didn't make this mistake). I also find myself pushing down the stalk when it starts to rain (because in my Subaru that turns on the wipers), and all of a sudden I am accelerating forward because I turned on TACC.
I think that as a minimum the controls should make specific sounds (audible feedback) when they turn on TACC and when they turn on auto-steer, so you don't have to look at the screen to see if they took effect or not.
But they aren't the same: down and up each have two positions - before and after the detent. I look at this similar to a single/double click on a mouse. It's the same button and motion, but it does two different things

Single click (not past the detent down/up): Engage/Disengage TACC/Autopilot
Double click (all the way down/up): Change Gears