Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with scheduled departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried using scheduled departure for the first time last week. We had planned to leave for a long trip Saturday morning at 8 AM. So Friday evening I plugged it in, set it charge to 100%, departing Saturday morning at 8 AM. (So I had to check the box that includes weekends). When I left the car, it was NOT charging -- the car was already at 75%, so I assume this was normal and that it would probably start charging around 6 AM to top it off to 100% (I have a Tesla wall charger)

I woke up early (around 6 AM), and to my surprise, the car was already charged to 100%. Why was it already fully charged? Who knows what time overnight it charged to 100%.

Is this how it's supposed to work? Did I do something wrong?

Also, is there an option in the app to do this? I couldn't find it. Also seems like there should be a way to set a one-time departure, rather than having to select weekdays/weekends, and then having to deactivate those settings afterwards.

It's how it's supposed to work because it's a dumb feature. If you read closely, it says it will finish charging by no later than 6AM no matter what time you pick, then it will wake back up before your 8AM departure to warm up the cabin. Tesla for some reasons assumes every place in the world has time of use rates that are expensive after 6AM.

This scheduling charging has been broken from day 1. It charges when it thinks electricity rates are low (that is in California). which is I think from 10pm to 6am. In my state it always same rate day or night yet Tesla seems to can't add an option whether overwrite that night /day rates rule.

Reactions: Rothgarr
Has anyone tried Apple automation?

ECD06DD1-FADB-441A-A94A-E08F954AC043.png
5BD75CB3-7062-4232-BC8E-4A0FD00BE83B.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rothgarr
New owner here. Tried this function last night and found the same issue, charged to 6am. That meant my battery was sitting at 100% for 4 hours before departure.

I've got a home control system called Vera. I use it for many things around the home and discovered they have an extension for the Tesla. Now I can set the charging to charge to any level at any time (I know how many MPH I can get from my charger). I can also set the cabin to go to any temp at any time. So it works, not as elegant as going through the Tesla App would be, but until they fix this issue, it's all I got.

Tesla - are you listening??? Is there somewhere like a suggestion box we can send suggestions to? I wouldn't need a response....