Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with sunroof and trunk in cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
For the last month or so I've been having an issue with my sunroof and trunk.

Trunk: If I press the button to open the trunk, it's almost as if it swelled or the weather strip is sticky (I checked, it's not). It tries to open, and then stops as if it met resistance. At this point the trunk is technically popped, but won't open unless I manually lift (can get annoying as it sometimes beeps incessantly and tries to open and close itself)

The other issue is that the sunroof seems to stick as well -- or at least the software thinks it does. If I tell it to open 100% (from the screen), it will open to a seemingly random point and stop. I can eventually get it to open, but usually only after a bit of back and forth.

I have video of the latter (ignore my chatterbox and the crappy resizing tinypic did):

Video - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting

This video was taken after messing with it for a while, so the end is me trying to get it to happen again without much luck.

I could see if maybe after a car wash with some remaining water that got frozen in the crevices... But I wouldn't think it would be a recurring problem after you broke through the ice.... Yeah, service center should be able to adjust those.

-m

Long story: My motor started to go bad in my trunk. It raised and lowered very slowly and made a sound that was labored like it was struggling. They swapped it out and it has been much more quiet and fast too. Wonder if your motor could be starting to give and the cold/frozen seals aren't helping
Short story: service center :)

My sunroof has an issue as well. I figured it was the cold. When I press to open mine, most of the time the screen resets itself to vent. I usually have to push up on the glass to help it "break free." It's seems like it sticks. This is mine vented.
image.jpg
Not really a big issue since its been kinda cold. I was going to wait until spring to contact Tesla.

You probably meant Darren, but for me, it's not yet a big enough issue to bother with. As good as Tesla is with the pickup and drop off, it still is a process. Unless it starts to impede my daily use, I'll wait until January when I have a trip planned.

I'd really suggest you deal with it sooner rather than later:
1) It could completely fail
2) The sooner Tesla sees this type of failure, the sooner they can invest in making sure this doesn't happen in other cars. (which may be a repeat issue for you, if they put another failure prone part in your car).

I'd really suggest you deal with it sooner rather than later:
1) It could completely fail
2) The sooner Tesla sees this type of failure, the sooner they can invest in making sure this doesn't happen in other cars. (which may be a repeat issue for you, if they put another failure prone part in your car).

I will, but I don't think it's THAT dire.

It's winter, I don't open my sunroof much (only did it this time because my won wanted to feel the rain come down). The trunk still opens, I just need to manually lift it. We're not talking a wobbling wheel or motor clunks. Nothing that can't wait 4 weeks.

I know it's a technicality, and Tesla ignores a lot of those, but there is one reason not to wait:

This New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any vehicle damage or malfunction directly or indirectly caused by, due to or resulting from normal wear or deterioration, abuse, misuse, negligence, accident, improper maintenance, operation, storage or transport, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
• Failure to take the vehicle to a Tesla Service Center or Tesla Authorized repair facility upon discovery of a defect covered by this New Vehicle Limited Warranty;

Page 34 of my Model S Quick Guide. This is also the same old guide that says you have to take it in for maintenance to be covered though.

I guess that means if it gets worse or damages something else, it may not be covered. So to CYA, just call your service center, tell them about it, and ask if you can put it off until you're ready.

I usually email my service center in between visits with anything new and they log it to be addressed at my next semi-annual visit. I go every 6 months due to my high mileage - >70k in two years of ownership. I will update my original "story" with my most recent service maintenance items.

I usually email my service center in between visits with anything new and they log it to be addressed at my next semi-annual visit. I go every 6 months due to my high mileage - >70k in two years of ownership. I will update my original "story" with my most recent service maintenance items.

Yep, which is basically what I did. That's one good thing about Tesla -- they're mostly technologically-inclined, so you can do things like email your service rep to keep a running log of issues.

Tesla had my car last week while I was @ CES. I don't have the paperwork handy, but I believe there was an issue with one of the motors on the sunroof not properly reporting position, and something with one of the struts in the trunk. Both got replacements.

I also pointed out some other issues that they were able to verify, so I've also now got a new drivetrain on order (I think this will be #3), a new driver's door handle (also #3 I believe) and I believe am also waiting on parts to fix the ambient buzzing issue. A few days before taking it in, I also once again got the 12V error on the screen, so I've got another replacement there as well.

All covered under the warranty thankfully (they even replaced the battery in my key fob). I think I'm definitely going to need to get the extended warranty/service agreement on this car.