Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with water getting trapped in door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I compared the left and right door seals as was suggested above and both of mine look identical as far as I can see (both have 2 holes in the top and bottom of the seal at the bottom of the door), but only the right door holds water.

I believe it is the angle at which the holes are pointing at which causes the water to get trapped. I don't know if it only takes 1 millimeter to be off or a super slight angle to be off to cause it though.

I encountered this exact issue with my passenger rear door last week when I washed my car on my driveway, with the front of the car sloped higher than the rear. I pulled into the level garage to wipe down the door jamb and big splash of water came out.

I've always hand wash and dry my car even in the winter and have never noticed it until last week.

I will have to check the drain holes and seal to see what is going on. I'm thinking it has something to do with the driveway slope and trapping water in the drain holes until you level the car out.

I encountered this exact issue with my passenger rear door last week when I washed my car on my driveway, with the front of the car sloped higher than the rear. I pulled into the level garage to wipe down the door jamb and big splash of water came out.

I've always hand wash and dry my car even in the winter and have never noticed it until last week.

I will have to check the drain holes and seal to see what is going on. I'm thinking it has something to do with the driveway slope and trapping water in the drain holes until you level the car out.

that’s possible. I washed my car on the sloped driveway. Opening all the doors, only the rear passenger side had the splash of water come out. I just assumed since it was only that door there was something wrong. This happened the previous car wash I did as well. Before that I honestly don’t recall. If you don’t look it happens very quickly.

that’s possible. I washed my car on the sloped driveway. Opening all the doors, only the rear passenger side had the splash of water come out. I just assumed since it was only that door there was something wrong. This happened the previous car wash I did as well. Before that I honestly don’t recall. If you don’t look it happens very quickly.
In the winter I wash by hand at the car wash, so maybe the ground is level enough that the water can drain properly when level, but not when it's sloped nose up?

I never ended up having my door looked at. The mobile service called me the day before my appointment to say they think it’s better to have my car looked at in the service center and automatically scheduled an appointment for me at the closest service center. Unfortunately I couldn’t go as I’m working from home and stuck in meetings most of the time. I wonder if this water is not drained out would it damage the paint and door? I always open my doors after washing the car to clean and dry the inside however I wouldn’t necessarily open the door after driving in a good rainstorm.

I never ended up having my door looked at. The mobile service called me the day before my appointment to say they think it’s better to have my car looked at in the service center and automatically scheduled an appointment for me at the closest service center. Unfortunately I couldn’t go as I’m working from home and stuck in meetings most of the time. I wonder if this water is not drained out would it damage the paint and door? I always open my doors after washing the car to clean and dry the inside however I wouldn’t necessarily open the door after driving in a good rainstorm.
It will damage the electrics. I need a wiring harness replaced in my Model S due to "corrosion caused by water ingress".