Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues after latest Software Update [dec 2021]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Standard Plus Model 3.

Shortly after installing the latest software update, I went out to my Model 3 to discover the following issues:
  • Driver side door won't open from inside or outside
  • Charge port wouldn't unlock so I had to unlock it manually
  • Vehicle won't start
  • Alert on the screen saying to "Schedule service to replace low voltage battery. Software will not update until battery is replaced."
I contacted Tesla Roadside. It's Christmas Eve and now I'm waiting for a tow truck to come tow my vehicle to the nearest Tesla Service Center.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does it sound like a software update issue, battery issue, or both?

Shortly after installing the latest software update, I went out to my Model 3 to discover the following issues:
  • Vehicle won't start
  • Alert on the screen saying to "Schedule service to replace low voltage battery. Software will not update until battery is replaced."
I contacted Tesla Roadside. It's Christmas Eve and now I'm waiting for a tow truck to come tow my vehicle to the nearest Tesla Service Center.

Has anyone else had this issue? Does it sound like a software update issue, battery issue, or both?
Ouch. Not a good way to spend Christmas eve. Hopefully an easy fix.

• Vehicle won't start

12V battery is dead or dying and needs replacement. If you're home get the mobile service to install a new 12V - that way you're driving it ASAP instead of sometime next year if they take it to the TSC; a bit early for the battery to die but not unheard of (ask me how I know 😭). Should be covered by warranty

Last edited:
Reactions: rpiotro

• Vehicle won't start

Sounds like the 12V battery decided to go dead at the same time as the software update. I doubt the software update had anything to do with it. That sucks. Sorry to hear.

Not sure about new 12 volt battery tech for the 3 but the new S and X are getting lithium batteries which hold up better. There is a model 3 version from ohmmu. They are more expensive and some users have reported issues with the software and their batteries but it seems to be a solid choice.

Had exactly that issue with the previous update...over a weekend. No problem with V-11. Tesla sent a truck. Very competent driver. Within 24 hours, 12V battery replaced and update installed. Picked up car that day (a Sunday). $Zero$ charge! All was very well done. 😊🙃

Is there any truth to the rumor that the newer batteries are made “better,” so as to not have these issues? Sounds like some of these issues are with 2020s and 2021s. Which would presumably have the newer tech batteries.
I would say the opposite. My 2014 had its original battery until 2019, 5 years, 80k miles. The battery I put in it in September of 2019 just died, less then 3 years later, and 25k miles.