Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues after MCU 2 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my car after the MCU 2 upgrade and a few issues are present.

Buzzing / Crackles coming from the speaker in the roof just by the windscreen autopilot camera. It happens every 5 seconds or so, quite faint.

Under the central arm rest where the USB / 12v is, there is a rattle on roads that are a bit bumpy. In addition there seems to be something loose in there. You can hear it under hard accelerate / braking / cornering - it rolls around. Do they go in this armrest housing during the upgrade?

Also have a rattle I swear wasn't there before, in the left side door card (passenger side - RHD UK vehicle). Do they route / change a wire in there for the upgrade, this one is strange.

Also an annoying squeak / rattle from the bottom of the screen. Cant work out if its the tray under the screen or just behind the screen.

All in, I'm pretty disappointed with the experience given it cost quite a lot. Just want to share here if anyone can offer advice or confirm if these issues are in locations they work on for the upgrade.

Thanks

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
Just picked up my car after the MCU 2 upgrade and a few issues are present.

Buzzing / Crackles coming from the speaker in the roof just by the windscreen autopilot camera. It happens every 5 seconds or so, quite faint.

Under the central arm rest where the USB / 12v is, there is a rattle on roads that are a bit bumpy. In addition there seems to be something loose in there. You can hear it under hard accelerate / braking / cornering - it rolls around. Do they go in this armrest housing during the upgrade?

Also have a rattle I swear wasn't there before, in the left side door card (passenger side - RHD UK vehicle). Do they route / change a wire in there for the upgrade, this one is strange.

Also an annoying squeak / rattle from the bottom of the screen. Cant work out if its the tray under the screen or just behind the screen.

All in, I'm pretty disappointed with the experience given it cost quite a lot. Just want to share here if anyone can offer advice or confirm if these issues are in locations they work on for the upgrade.

Thanks
Just got my MCU2 upgrade a few days ago but don't have any of your issues you have.

Does your voice command feature work, mine doesn't after the upgrade.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
@bp1000 - Zero issues for me with MCU1 to MCU2 retrofit. The cubby is fairly easy to remove - just push down hard on both sides and it will snap down, then you can slide it out. There can be two connectors that possibly might be causing a rattle that often sits loosely on top of the cubby. You could wrap them with felt or reposition them and it may take care of that one.

There is no speaker in the center top of the car. I think you are referring to the microphone panel. I can't think of any noise that can come from that panel. I think some cars have a tiny fan inside the camera housing in front of this. Perhaps it is making that noise but never noticed it in my car. You might have to wait for a cool day (sorry about the UK heat wave you're having), to see if it stops. I don't know if it's temperature controlled, but it seems logical they wouldn't run the fan if the car is cool and it's unneeded. Is your car AP1 or AP2 (single front camera or 3 cameras?) It may be one or the other has the fan.

Reactions: bp1000
Here's a read for one of your issues:

Does anyone know if they remove the dash when they change the screen?

I’ve realised my centre left air vent is now completely stuck and cannot be moved at all.

It looks like it’s fully left. Would reinstalling the dash on top of this blocking the blades from being moved right?

On the other issue, I think it may have indeed been a stone in the vents for the issue under the centre armrest

Does anyone know if they remove the dash when they change the screen?

I’ve realised my centre left air vent is now completely stuck and cannot be moved at all.

It looks like it’s fully left. Would reinstalling the dash on top of this blocking the blades from being moved right?

On the other issue, I think it may have indeed been a stone in the vents for the issue under the centre armrest
Yes they remove the dash. Mobile service can probably fix the vent.