Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues after MCU upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had the MCU upgraded on my 2017 S 100D (purchased September 2017). Its definitely an improvement, however I still have some lingering issues. Release Notes are not coming up for me, they used to come up on MCU1, albeit slowly. Also, the side repeater cameras are not showing up on my display, do I need upgraded cameras? I thought I had the AP cameras required, I have the AP3 FSD computer.

Watch them charge you a $115 diagnosis fee for each issue post MCU 2 upgrade. I lost voice command and TuneIn music after my MCU 2 upgrade 2 weeks ago. They tried pushing a OTA update which did nothing. Now they want me to bring my car in with a $115 diagnosis fee for each issue. Both were working fine prior to the MCU1 to MCU 2 upgrade.

I recently had the MCU upgraded on my 2017 S 100D (purchased September 2017). Its definitely an improvement, however I still have some lingering issues. Release Notes are not coming up for me, they used to come up on MCU1, albeit slowly. Also, the side repeater cameras are not showing up on my display, do I need upgraded cameras? I thought I had the AP cameras required, I have the AP3 FSD computer.
Release notes were never very stable, and some releases didn't have any notes, but you couldn't tell. MCU-Z seems to have solved that one, but I suspect MCU2 is still a bit wonky with release notes.

I think side repeater cameras should show even with HW2.0 cameras. I had that combination, but sold it a while back and don't 100% remember. I'd also wait until you get the next update. It may fix things and a reboot sometimes helps too!

Watch them charge you a $115 diagnosis fee for each issue post MCU 2 upgrade. I lost voice command and TuneIn music after my MCU 2 upgrade 2 weeks ago. They tried pushing a OTA update which did nothing. Now they want me to bring my car in with a $115 diagnosis fee for each issue. Both were working fine prior to the MCU1 to MCU 2 upgrade.
Have you tried a reboot? It may fix it. Also, confirm TuneIn is enabled in the music sources menu.
Yep, Tesla puts out those diagnostic fees for out-of-warranty cars but will normally reverse them if it's their fault. Also MCU2 retrofit has a 2-year 25K mile warranty so it should be covered by that. Just realize the diagnostic fee estimates are just the way it is. I doubt very much you will be charged.

Have you tried a reboot? It may fix it. Also, confirm TuneIn is enabled in the music sources menu.
Yep, Tesla puts out those diagnostic fees for out-of-warranty cars but will normally reverse them if it's their fault. Also MCU2 retrofit has a 2-year 25K mile warranty so it should be covered by that. Just realize the diagnostic fee estimates are just the way it is. I doubt very much you will be charged.
Yea, I tried the scroll button reset and changing the wheel configuration but no luck. I'm pretty sure they also factory reset my MCU after the upgrade since all my driver settings, homelink, etc...were gone when I picked up the car.

Good to know about the estimate likely being corrected. I was hesitant to accept the estimate to proceed with the service appointment.

Actually, I’m thinking of our model 3 with the turn signal repeaters.

With the S …
I can see them when the rear camera is on. Had to click on rear camera, cone, then the little arrow.

4E6D8C11-BAF8-40C3-A5AD-BE13DB0B4336.jpeg

What do you mean by side repeater camera not showing up? I just got all my cameras upgraded on my 2016.5 Model S. And nothing has changed for me on my displays.

There are two different situations where the side repeater cameras can be shown in real-time.
1) With the backup camera selected (manually or automatically), you can optionally select a view that shows the side repeater cameras
2) With a turn signal activated, the side repeater camera view appears on the screen. This option is set at: Controls -> Autopilot -> Automatic Blindspot cameras

There are two different situations where the side repeater cameras can be shown in real-time.
1) With the backup camera selected (manually or automatically), you can optionally select a view that shows the side repeater cameras
2) With a turn signal activated, the side repeater camera view appears on the screen. This option is set at: Controls -> Autopilot -> Automatic Blindspot cameras

Option #2 does not display on my 2017 S100D with updated MCU2. I think that is the case for all the older cars.