Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues charging Model 3 at home with Podpoint [UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, this is my first post so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere as I haven’t managed to find it.
I have a 21 plate Model 3, and a Podpoint home charger. Originally the Podpoint was set up via the app to charge overnight during Octopus Go cheaper hours. When I have tried to amend my charging times via the app for the odd occasion I need to re-charge in the day, the amended times don’t kick in.
When I turn off a scheduled charge on the Podpoint app, and try charge by just simply plugging into the car, it will stop changing after around 10-15 minutes and I then have to restart charging via the Tesla app. When it stops charging like this, the light on the Podpoint flashes green.
I’ve tried resetting the Podpoint multiple times, including from the breaker and also turning it off for 20 minutes at the breaker, turning off our home wifi network and trying to reconnect the Podpoint to wifi. We tried various different ways of doing this, and only on one occasion did the Podpoint network eventually appear but did not connect to our home network before the light went from white to a solid blue. When doing this we have followed instructions so are at a bit of as to why it didn’t work.
Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on what I can try?
Thanks

Hi all, this is my first post so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere as I haven’t managed to find it.
I have a 21 plate Model 3, and a Podpoint home charger. Originally the Podpoint was set up via the app to charge overnight during Octopus Go cheaper hours. When I have tried to amend my charging times via the app for the odd occasion I need to re-charge in the day, the amended times don’t kick in.
When I turn off a scheduled charge on the Podpoint app, and try charge by just simply plugging into the car, it will stop changing after around 10-15 minutes and I then have to restart charging via the Tesla app. When it stops charging like this, the light on the Podpoint flashes green.
I’ve tried resetting the Podpoint multiple times, including from the breaker and also turning it off for 20 minutes at the breaker, turning off our home wifi network and trying to reconnect the Podpoint to wifi. We tried various different ways of doing this, and only on one occasion did the Podpoint network eventually appear but did not connect to our home network before the light went from white to a solid blue. When doing this we have followed instructions so are at a bit of as to why it didn’t work.
Has anyone experienced this or have any thoughts on what I can try?
Thanks
Is there any reason why you cannot use the car to set the charging times for now? We have Podpoint and have never tried to set the charging through the Podpoint app. Originally this was because the original Podpoint app didn’t have the facility to set the charge times, so we have just left well alone and used the charging set times from the car.

When you change the schedule on the PodPoint App (or turn off the schedule) it can take 5 mins for the device to update.

The App isn’t the most intuitive- are you sure you disabled the schedule (for the correct day). Try turning off the schedule for all days, wait 5-10 mins and then try charging.

Reactions: Doudeau
When you change the schedule on the PodPoint App (or turn off the schedule) it can take 5 mins for the device to update.

The App isn’t the most intuitive- are you sure you disabled the schedule (for the correct day). Try turning off the schedule for all days, wait 5-10 mins and then try charging.
I’ve had similar issues with Podpoint app being flaky and find I have to turn off scheduling for each day to be able to do an adhoc charge outside of the Octopus Go hours.

I’d just use the Tesla App (now it includes scheduling) if you don’t have another EV. I have an e208 and need to rely on the Podpoint scheduling for that ☹️

Reactions: spooksman
When I turn off a scheduled charge on the Podpoint app, and try charge by just simply plugging into the car, it will stop changing after around 10-15 minutes and I then have to restart charging via the Tesla app.

If you plug into a public Podpoint charger without confirming via their app it also only charges for 15 minutes so is this somehow related? As others have suggested, maybe the solution is to remove the Podpoint schedule and set via the car.

Thanks for your replies. I tend to only turn off that day via the Podpoint app and the day after as I wasn’t sure whether the 00:30hrs start was causing the app confusion. I will try it with all days turned off, and see if that helps. I was aware it takes a few minutes to update, so hadn’t been charging immediately, it would usually be a good 20 minutes plus before I would plug in.
I also did notice when I used a public Podpoint charger that despite confirming a charge via the app, it only charged for 15 minutes. I removed and reinstalled the app a couple of times whilst trying to fix this issue.
I charged the car via scheduling on the Tesla app last night which worked, however I was still unable to just plug in and charge ad hoc earlier in the evening and the charge would still drop out after 10-15 minutes without any schedules set.
I work different start hours each day which can sometimes change on the day, and what was putting me off using the Tesla app for the departure side of scheduling a charge.
It’s more the lack of ad hoc charging that’s causing a problem more than anything at the moment.
I notice within my Tesla app scheduling section that it shows a departure time and seems to default to 09:00. My Octopus Go hours were set to 00:30-04:30 within the Podpoint app. Could that be interfering with it at all? Whilst trying to charge both ad hoc and via scheduled charging times in the Podpoint app I would also have scheduled charging turned off within the Tesla app.
Thanks again.

I also did notice when I used a public Podpoint charger that despite confirming a charge via the app, it only charged for 15 minutes. I removed and reinstalled the app a couple of times whilst trying to fix this issue.
Not all public Podpoint sites are free although most at Tesco are for now. Any of their paid chargers give 15 minutes of grace if not confirmed, likewise if there are insufficient funds in your Podpoint account.

Not sure if this will help, but I use the schedule on the PodPoint app to charge my Tesla, but I found some oddities...

The charger is set to be 'active' between 00:30 and 04:30 - when my wife comes home she plugs her Peugeot e208 in, and that just sits there until 00:30, and charges for 4 hours - perfect.

However, if I did that with the Tesla, it didn't charge - it didn't seem to 'wake' to start. If I woke the car via the app (like at 1am), the car would start charging from that point, but not otherwise. Tesla looked at the issue remotely, and confirmed that some new firmware would resolve that in a future release -- that was ages ago.

My workaround was (and still is) to have deferred charging set on the Tesla to start at 00:30 as well - that seems to wake the car, and it charges for 4 hours until the charger turns off.

I haven't tried turning that off to see if any new car firmware has resolved the basic issue, as it is working reliably and I can't really wake up to find the car not charged!

Also, yes, it takes a few minutes from changing anything on the PodPoint app to it affecting the charger itself, and charging always seems to start at 00:32!

Lastly, the PodPont app badly needs a 'boost' feature, that just makes it active until the next schedule - like central heating... Disabling the schedule just temporarily is a pain.

Not sure if this will help, but I use the schedule on the PodPoint app to charge my Tesla, but I found some oddities...

The charger is set to be 'active' between 00:30 and 04:30 - when my wife comes home she plugs her Peugeot e208 in, and that just sits there until 00:30, and charges for 4 hours - perfect.

However, if I did that with the Tesla, it didn't charge - it didn't seem to 'wake' to start. If I woke the car via the app (like at 1am), the car would start charging from that point, but not otherwise. Tesla looked at the issue remotely, and confirmed that some new firmware would resolve that in a future release -- that was ages ago.

My workaround was (and still is) to have deferred charging set on the Tesla to start at 00:30 as well - that seems to wake the car, and it charges for 4 hours until the charger turns off.

I haven't tried turning that off to see if any new car firmware has resolved the basic issue, as it is working reliably and I can't really wake up to find the car not charged!

Also, yes, it takes a few minutes from changing anything on the PodPoint app to it affecting the charger itself, and charging always seems to start at 00:32!

Lastly, the PodPont app badly needs a 'boost' feature, that just makes it active until the next schedule - like central heating... Disabling the schedule just temporarily is a pain.
100% agree that the Podpoint app needs the boost feature you mention - I guess your inspiration comes from the EV.energy app which I used to use but abandoned when Podpoint added scheduling.

Interesting to hear your experience with the same two cars as me but I have found the same with both cars - they both sit idle until 00:30ish and then charge for the 4 hours on the Podpoint app. 🤷‍♂️

Interesting to hear your experience with the same two cars as me but I have found the same with both cars - they both sit idle until 00:30ish and then charge for the 4 hours on the Podpoint app. 🤷‍♂️
I guess the correct response is that my Tesla has a character all of its own ☺️...

I've never used the EV energy app, but maybe I'll try the 'normal' way again when I don't need the car the next day just to see if it works now. 👍