Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues connecting/disconnecting from WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So It seems that my car is now having an issue switching from WiFi to 4g once I leave my house. The car will keep telling me that's its connected to WiFi even though I'm literally miles from my router. This is a newish issue as well, as I dont recall the vehicle ever doing this previously (I did get that OTA push last week, and this may or may not be coincidental). This obviously makes it so my internet connectivity (and all that entails) doesn't work. So far, the only fix I can find is to either park and leave the car then re-enter, or manually turn "WiFi" off under the controls. Im wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and if they found a more permanent fix for it?

Also, while no where near as annoying, I also find that I have to manually connect to my WiFi after I park in my garage. This seemingly is a random issue though.

So It seems that my car is now having an issue switching from WiFi to 4g once I leave my house. The car will keep telling me that's its connected to WiFi even though I'm literally miles from my router. This is a newish issue as well, as I dont recall the vehicle ever doing this previously (I did get that OTA push last week, and this may or may not be coincidental). This obviously makes it so my internet connectivity (and all that entails) doesn't work. So far, the only fix I can find is to either park and leave the car then re-enter, or manually turn "WiFi" off under the controls. Im wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and if they found a more permanent fix for it?

Also, while no where near as annoying, I also find that I have to manually connect to my WiFi after I park in my garage. This seemingly is a random issue though.

I would try deleting your network, and then adding it again, as a new, different network. It's possible something in the current network configuration is messed up. If so, deleting it might resolve the issue.

I've been experiencing this same issue for quite a while. But at least for me it seems random. Sometimes it connects, and sometimes it does not. Sometimes it connects showing only one or two bars, and other times it's on all the way. I have attempted many different things to resolve this. I have deleted the network from the wifi settings in the car, and re-added the network. This didn't change the problem. Although it worked when I first did it, the next time I pulled into the garage, it didn't connect. I've also disconnected my wifi network, waited 30 minutes, and plugged it back in. Same issue; it would connect great right away, but after returning home it would either not connect, or connect with a poor signal. I also deleted the tesla's connection in my home wifi router, and then reconnected, and that didn't work either.

I've noticed that my phone's wifi connection is much better than the car's wifi connectivity. With a stronger signal, and finds more access points for public wifi. I find this really odd that my phone's wifi is better than the car's. For example, I've pulled up to my local Starbucks, and right outside my phone gets a full connection. Yet the car gets maybe one or two bars, and continuously disconnects. I have scheduled a service with my local Tesla Service Center, and I'm going to have them check into this. Sorry I don't have a solution, I just wanted to share what attempted I've made to resolve this with my car.

I've been experiencing this same issue for quite a while. But at least for me it seems random. Sometimes it connects, and sometimes it does not. Sometimes it connects showing only one or two bars, and other times it's on all the way. I have attempted many different things to resolve this. I have deleted the network from the wifi settings in the car, and re-added the network. This didn't change the problem. Although it worked when I first did it, the next time I pulled into the garage, it didn't connect. I've also disconnected my wifi network, waited 30 minutes, and plugged it back in. Same issue; it would connect great right away, but after returning home it would either not connect, or connect with a poor signal. I also deleted the tesla's connection in my home wifi router, and then reconnected, and that didn't work either.

I've noticed that my phone's wifi connection is much better than the car's wifi connectivity. With a stronger signal, and finds more access points for public wifi. I find this really odd that my phone's wifi is better than the car's. For example, I've pulled up to my local Starbucks, and right outside my phone gets a full connection. Yet the car gets maybe one or two bars, and continuously disconnects. I have scheduled a service with my local Tesla Service Center, and I'm going to have them check into this. Sorry I don't have a solution, I just wanted to share what attempted I've made to resolve this with my car.

I'm wondering if there's some shielding in the car which interferes with WiFi signal?

I've never had an issue with WiFi and I did have the LTE upgrade installed in my P85D. I noticed something interesting. When I switch from Park to Drive, the car switches to LTE even though I'm in my driveway and haven't moved. One thing you want to make sure is that your SSID is not the default (linksys, etc.). This is a problem that many people make. Your car will try to attach to every SSID that is the same as yours which may be the default.

Also, I believe the WiFi antenna is located in one of the mirrors. Changing the side that faces the router may increase or decrease your signal. Also, WiFi (for home) is very fickle. If you and your neighbor are on the same channel, your two routers/APs will fight it out or reduce the signal power so as not to step on one another. Try changing the channel and see what happens. The default SSID noted above can further exacerbate the problem if your neighbor(s) has the same SSID.

Your cell phone has much less material wrapped around it as well, so you may not notice the issue with your phone.

Hope this helps.

My car is not here yet but since I use my iPhone & iPad a lot in my garage, I added an Apple Express in the garage & mounted it on the ceiling & almost right over where the car will be parked. It has a unique SSID and when I am in the car & listening to a radio station via WiFi, it lasts about 100 yards after driving away then the iPhone looses the buffer & switches over to 3G.

IMG_0075.jpg

I've never had an issue with WiFi and I did have the LTE upgrade installed in my P85D. I noticed something interesting. When I switch from Park to Drive, the car switches to LTE even though I'm in my driveway and haven't moved. One thing you want to make sure is that your SSID is not the default (linksys, etc.). This is a problem that many people make. Your car will try to attach to every SSID that is the same as yours which may be the default.

Also, I believe the WiFi antenna is located in one of the mirrors. Changing the side that faces the router may increase or decrease your signal. Also, WiFi (for home) is very fickle. If you and your neighbor are on the same channel, your two routers/APs will fight it out or reduce the signal power so as not to step on one another. Try changing the channel and see what happens. The default SSID noted above can further exacerbate the problem if your neighbor(s) has the same SSID.

Your cell phone has much less material wrapped around it as well, so you may not notice the issue with your phone.

Hope this helps.

Maybe this info will help with Caligula's situation, if it's different than my issue. I appreciate the info, but at least for me, none of this seems to apply to the issue I'm having. My router is set up with a unique SSID, and my closest neighbor is about a quarter mile away. So I don't think that's an issue. I actually have tried several different locations for the access point in my garage. I wasn't thinking about the antenna placement, but thought it it be some other interference in some way. This never changed the behavior that I experienced.

I suppose I do understand that my phone has a lot less material wrapped around it, and perhaps the car itself causes interference. I would think it odd though for tesla to not test this all and take it into consideration. At least for me, it's strange that I get a full signal sometimes, and nothing at other times. Seems so random. By the way, I generally see my signal fade as I back out, and then it connects to 3G, so it doesn't seem related to the drive mode of the car. At least I don't think it does.

And on another note, how did you upgrade to LTE?

And on another note, how did you upgrade to LTE?

I had it installed at the service center. The cost was $500 and it was well worth it. Not so much from the web browser perspective, however, the map re-draw and Slacker are very responsive. Signal strength also appears to be higher as well. Perhaps something you may consider? They change the entire radio module which requires reconnecting the antennas.

I would also have the SC check the connections to make sure the antenna connections are seated firmly.