Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues on delivery and with service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Talk me down here. I took delivery of a Model 3 SR+ in early December. First inspection found body panel gaps, bubbling paint and a cracked vanity mirror. Since it was dropped at my house, there wasn't a Tesla employee present to go over the car with me. I immediately notified my delivery coordinator. He passed the pictures along to the service center. The nearest service center is over an hour drive from my house. They cancelled the first appointment saying they didn't have the front fascia to do the job. They rescheduled. My issue is this. It's my responsibility to drive the hour plus to the center and sit around all day while they fix the car even though when I purchased it I was told I never had to worry about that. If they can't fix the car they said they would give me a Enterprise rental voucher. So let me get this straight. I bought an all electric vehicle so my wife could drive the 100 mile round trip commute to work without using gas and they intend to give us an ICE vehicle to drive while they fix their screw up? I love my car, but Tesla's customer service from the SA to the DA to the SC has been horrendous.

Is it really that big a deal to drive an ICE for the likely very short while it will take to get fixed?

When everyone trying to get me to order the car over the last 4 months told me not to worry about the issue of not having a service center within a reasonable distance by saying we qualified for home visits for repair/estimate and a loaner car (Tesla) in the meantime, yes. I really feel like once the car was dropped in my driveway I've been on my own. If it wasn't for this community, I'd have no one to lean on for questions. That coupled with the fact that my wife can barely make a 100 miles roundtrip without getting a speed warning, my patience is getting a bit tested.

Hey Guys,

Talk me down here. I took delivery of a Model 3 SR+ in early December. First inspection found body panel gaps, bubbling paint and a cracked vanity mirror. Since it was dropped at my house, there wasn't a Tesla employee present to go over the car with me. I immediately notified my delivery coordinator. He passed the pictures along to the service center. The nearest service center is over an hour drive from my house. They cancelled the first appointment saying they didn't have the front fascia to do the job. They rescheduled. My issue is this. It's my responsibility to drive the hour plus to the center and sit around all day while they fix the car even though when I purchased it I was told I never had to worry about that. If they can't fix the car they said they would give me a Enterprise rental voucher. So let me get this straight. I bought an all electric vehicle so my wife could drive the 100 mile round trip commute to work without using gas and they intend to give us an ICE vehicle to drive while they fix their screw up? I love my car, but Tesla's customer service from the SA to the DA to the SC has been horrendous.
That 7-day return period is veryyyyy important to heed

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
Quite surprised they don’t have a loaner available. The service centers in MN have traditionally always had a loaner available.

Granted we don’t have as many Tesla’s here as other states.

This OP didnt say he wasnt being offered a loaner. Hes upset because hes not being offered an EV loaner.....

Sometimes, my SC has EV loaners. Sometimes they have ICE loaners. Sometimes, they offer an Uber voucher. OP, you ask to be talked off the ledge... just take the ICE loaner and move on.

This OP didnt say he wasnt being offered a loaner. Hes upset because hes not being offered an EV loaner.....

Sometimes, my SC has EV loaners. Sometimes they have ICE loaners. Sometimes, they offer an Uber voucher. OP, you ask to be talked off the ledge... just take the ICE loaner and move on.

Its not like I'll have much of a choice really. Yea I asked to be talked down. I appreciate everyone's input. I guess I'm just feeling a bit put off with how people in my area seem to be treated because of geography. I reiterate though, I was told more than once that Tesla would come to me first before requiring the drive out to them and then if the car couldn't be repaired on site they would facilitate transporting it to the SC.

Last thing. The quality control on the Model 3s being delivered this quarter has been less than desirable. I've seen way too many people having issues on delivery. Seriously, how do they miss a cracked mirror?

• Love
Reactions: GreenT
Let me say that, re reading my other post, its a little more "harsh" than I intended. I did not mean to be abrupt, just to say that, sometimes tesla SCs offer ICE rental cars (they contract with enterprise rent-a-car here in CA too), and they were attempting to sell everything under the sun by the end of the year.

Im sorry your new tesla has a bunch of cosmetic issues with it, hopefully they can take care of them for you. The few times I have been to my SC and they had ICE rentals, I was a bit disappointed because I now love driving my EV. With that being said once it was a late model lexus, another time it was a nice late model SUV, I forget the brand but it was nice (for an ICE anyway).

Its not like (at least locally to me) they put me in a civic or something.

I still have an ICE car in my garage, which is my wifes 2019 X3, and I cant stand to drive it, even though its a very nice car, with every option BMW offers on it except a trailer hitch.... so I get it.

Im just saying its ok they are putting you in a ICE rental, if thats whats available.

Let me say that, re reading my other post, its a little more "harsh" than I intended. I did not mean to be abrupt, just to say that, sometimes tesla SCs offer ICE rental cars (they contract with enterprise rent-a-car here in CA too), and they were attempting to sell everything under the sun by the end of the year.

Im sorry your new tesla has a bunch of cosmetic issues with it, hopefully they can take care of them for you. The few times I have been to my SC and they had ICE rentals, I was a bit disappointed because I now love driving my EV. With that being said once it was a late model lexus, another time it was a nice late model SUV, I forget the brand but it was nice (for an ICE anyway).

Its not like (at least locally to me) they put me in a civic or something.

I still have an ICE car in my garage, which is my wifes 2019 X3, and I cant stand to drive it, even though its a very nice car, with every option BMW offers on it except a trailer hitch.... so I get it.

Im just saying its ok they are putting you in a ICE rental, if thats whats available.

I didn't take it as harsh at all. The thought of having to spend $ to fill a gas tank is just revolting. Let's say I bring the car in Tuesday and they have it till Friday, thats over 300 miles or so my wife would have to drive the ICE car. For me it's a dollar and cents thing I guess. I've spent quite a bit of money adding to the car where Tesla cut corners already (floor mats, nema adapter etc), it's just annoying I guess

How bad is the bubbling paint and where is it located ? My car had several paint defects on delivery and required a 2 week visit to a Tesla Approved body shop for repairs. Hope yours isn't as bad....

It's hard to explain but basically it's across the front lip. After seeing the photos the SC decided to replace the whole thing rather than try to repair the paint. This fact makes me think it shouldn't really take that long, assuming they are able to do it as soon as I get there. the body panels gaps on the other hand, I'm not sure exactly what that will entail