Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues on delivery and with service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See, my local SC is 4 hours away and I really don’t know info want to make the drive up or have it delivered. Delivery would be the best because I’m going to wrap it right away. But all these issues make me want to pick it up.

I have heard some people say they got reimbursed a one way rental to pick their car up, anyone personally done that on here?

See, my local SC is 4 hours away and I really don’t know info want to make the drive up or have it delivered. Delivery would be the best because I’m going to wrap it right away. But all these issues make me want to pick it up.

I have heard some people say they got reimbursed a one way rental to pick their car up, anyone personally done that on here?

My closest "dealership" was about a 6 hour drive. I was told the most they could reimburse me for was 150 dollars. Whether that be for a car rental, or hotel room etc. Then the Delivery Coordinator offered me a 400 dollar voucher for the online store in addition. I almost wish I could go back and take that deal but at that time I couldn't work out the trip and I had no use for the voucher really.

You should pick it up so can deal with issues on the spot. Home delivery gives you no such option

Reactions: GreenT and Turlejay
It's hard to explain but basically it's across the front lip. After seeing the photos the SC decided to replace the whole thing rather than try to repair the paint. This fact makes me think it shouldn't really take that long, assuming they are able to do it as soon as I get there. the body panels gaps on the other hand, I'm not sure exactly what that will entail

Hopefully, your SC will have the pre-painted bumper in stock. Also, where are the body panel gaps located ? I also had a mis-aligned frunk and the body shop told me it took about 45 minutes to align (Tesla Delivery Advisor told me it was within spec..). I had to wait 2.5 months for the first available appointment at the body shop. There is an Enterprise rent-a-car next door and they were able to reserve me a Model S 100D for a 2 week loaner. Enterprise said they only had a handful of Tesla loaners at their site.

What color is your Tesla ?

My closest "dealership" was about a 6 hour drive. I was told the most they could reimburse me for was 150 dollars. Whether that be for a car rental, or hotel room etc. Then the Delivery Coordinator offered me a 400 dollar voucher for the online store in addition. I almost wish I could go back and take that deal but at that time I couldn't work out the trip and I had no use for the voucher really.

that was in reference to this reply... still learning the TMC ropes

Reactions: Turlejay
They are direct competitors. If you expect Tesla to give you money on top of warranty service you'll be disappointed.
Hopefully, your SC will have the pre-painted bumper in stock. Also, where are the body panel gaps located ? I also had a mis-aligned frunk and the body shop told me it took about 45 minutes to align (Tesla Delivery Advisor told me it was within spec..). I had to wait 2.5 months for the first available appointment at the body shop. There is an Enterprise rent-a-car next door and they were able to reserve me a Model S 100D for a 2 week loaner. Enterprise said they only had a handful of Tesla loaners at their site.

What color is your Tesla ?

It's white. The gaps are on the driver rear under the charging port.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’ll repeat the three things I tell everyone getting ready to buy a Tesla:

1) Never agree to home delivery
2) Never accept a car that requires rework on paint or body panel issues.
3) Never give Tesla any money or sign any paperwork until you spend 45-60 minutes inspecting the car.

If everyone followed these three steps we would eliminate almost all of these post delivery drama posts.

Hey Guys,

Talk me down here. I took delivery of a Model 3 SR+ in early December. First inspection found body panel gaps, bubbling paint and a cracked vanity mirror. Since it was dropped at my house, there wasn't a Tesla employee present to go over the car with me. I immediately notified my delivery coordinator. He passed the pictures along to the service center. The nearest service center is over an hour drive from my house. They cancelled the first appointment saying they didn't have the front fascia to do the job. They rescheduled. My issue is this. It's my responsibility to drive the hour plus to the center and sit around all day while they fix the car even though when I purchased it I was told I never had to worry about that. If they can't fix the car they said they would give me a Enterprise rental voucher. So let me get this straight. I bought an all electric vehicle so my wife could drive the 100 mile round trip commute to work without using gas and they intend to give us an ICE vehicle to drive while they fix their screw up? I love my car, but Tesla's customer service from the SA to the DA to the SC has been horrendous.

Once again Tesla delivery doesn't inspect and repair cars before delivery. Owners should not be out of pocket for Tesla's very poor quality assurance of their new vehicles. What surprises me some here say suck it up and except costs.
Tesla should be picking up your vehicle and dropping off a loan Tesla until your car is ready to be returned. I would make sure and inspect your car at Tesla's service centre before handing over loan vehicle.
Tesla America doesn't care how poor their delivery is so I wouldn't care how hard I deal with Tesla until items are repaired or car replaced which I haven't had to do with Tesla New Zealand. I have done this with BMW, Fait, Jeep, Alfa and all cars where replaced with a new vehicles or a full refund as we have very good consumer laws in New Zealand so merchants don't even try and debate the issue. Warranties means not much as goods should last a reasonable time including goods on sale. Example TV should last 5 years otherwise repair free or replaced with a new TV free.

Last edited:
This OP didnt say he wasnt being offered a loaner. Hes upset because hes not being offered an EV loaner.....

Sometimes, my SC has EV loaners. Sometimes they have ICE loaners. Sometimes, they offer an Uber voucher. OP, you ask to be talked off the ledge... just take the ICE loaner and move on.
I should’ve clarified. I was specifically talking about an EV Loaner. I’m aware some apparently offer other alternatives..which surprises me. Hence my statement about always having one (EV loaner) available, and not a ton of Tesla’s in my area.

The 3 times I’ve needed service, I have been given a P85D for the length of the service visit.

Before our Teslas we had Hondas and then Toyotas and also never got anything beyond a loaner or a courtesy car to drop us off at work if they were available and that wasn’t all the time.

Here's what I'll say to that. If Honda or Toyota told you ahead of purchase that in any warranty scenario they would come to you and fix the car, pick the car up or give you a Tesla loaner then reneged when it came time to pony up to the promises you would be upset too.

Tesla used to pick up your car and drop off a loaner back when it was just Model S and X cars for sale. They abandoned that practice when the Model 3 came out. There’s just no way they could provide that level of service with that many cars at the price point of the Model 3.

I can understand why OP would be upset if someone at Tesla set that expectation. My experience with Tesla reps is virtually everything they tell me is wrong. I stopped listening to them a long time ago and only use this forum to learn what’s going on in Teslaville.

Reactions: GreenT
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’ll repeat the three things I tell everyone getting ready to buy a Tesla:

1) Never agree to home delivery
2) Never accept a car that requires rework on paint or body panel issues.
3) Never give Tesla any money or sign any paperwork until you spend 45-60 minutes inspecting the car.

If everyone followed these three steps we would eliminate almost all of these post delivery drama posts.
I liked home delivery. You don't have the other environmental distractions since you're on your own turf and you can absolutely refuse to accept the car/sign papers. If possible bring a friend who already has a model 3 along to just be a silent partner in inspection.

I didn't like home delivery for one thing, and that was getting the showroom experience, but that's not really common practice anymore.

I liked home delivery. You don't have the other environmental distractions since you're on your own turf and you can absolutely refuse to accept the car/sign papers. If possible bring a friend who already has a model 3 along to just be a silent partner in inspection.

I didn't like home delivery for one thing, and that was getting the showroom experience, but that's not really common practice anymore.

Home delivery can work fine if you let the driver know in advance that you plan to do a thorough inspection prior to signing off on the vehicle. Unfortunately most people don’t do this and they feel bad keeping the driver waiting while his Uber car is sitting there waiting to take him back.

Where home delivery doesn’t work is if there is anything wrong with the car. You don’t have a service center person to discuss your concerns with and the drivers are clueless. So you have to make a decision on the spot whether to accept the car or reject it without having anyone knowledgeable to talk to.

When I picked up my Model 3 at the delivery center this year the front and rear doors were not properly aligned. I was not sure how big of an issue it would be to fix it so I had the service center manager come over and look at it. He took the car back to the service center and fixed it in ten minutes. It was just the chrome trim piece that needed adjustment, not the door.

Point being, without him there to guide me along I’m not sure what I would have done. But I know the last thing I wanted to do was buy the car and then immediately schedule it for service and hope that they could and would fix it without it being a major hassle. None of that could have happened with home delivery.

Home delivery can work fine if you let the driver know in advance that you plan to do a thorough inspection prior to signing off on the vehicle. Unfortunately most people don’t do this and they feel bad keeping the driver waiting while his Uber car is sitting there waiting to take him back.

Where home delivery doesn’t work is if there is anything wrong with the car. You don’t have a service center person to discuss your concerns with and the drivers are clueless. So you have to make a decision on the spot whether to accept the car or reject it without having anyone knowledgeable to talk to.

When I picked up my Model 3 at the delivery center this year the front and rear doors were not properly aligned. I was not sure how big of an issue it would be to fix it so I had the service center manager come over and look at it. He took the car back to the service center and fixed it in ten minutes. It was just the chrome trim piece that needed adjustment, not the door.

Point being, without him there to guide me along I’m not sure what I would have done. But I know the last thing I wanted to do was buy the car and then immediately schedule it for service and hope that they could and would fix it without it being a major hassle. None of that could have happened with home delivery.

I had a similar experience as you. I actually ended up refusing the first car when I inspected it, but that was after having the delivery center manager come out and look at all of the indentified issues. Even the delivery manager said "hmm.. this may take a while to fix, let me see what I can do" and came back out 15 minutes later saying "I happen to have another car in inventory that is your exact spec, I can switch you into that one".

The only way I would do home delivery was if I "had" to, as in, I lived in a state where tesla could not sell me the car, and the only option was home delivery to even get the car. At a delivery center, delivery, there are some things they can fix while you wait. Being in a situation where you have to schedule a SC appointment for a brand new car to get things fixed is not a great place to be, and while tesla SC employees are in general helpful and nice, the wait time can be extreme, and they get beat down so much by customers about certain topics, you almost have to convince them that you are not "that guy / lady" with unreasonable expectations, in some cases.