Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

issues on delivery - return or fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks

Apologies in advance if this same question has been asked before. We recently took delivery of our Model 3. On our first drive (after the delivery agent left), we noticed a few issues with the car - the rear window wasn’t completely aligned with the B-pillar, allowing in significant levels of wind noise, there were 2 deep paint chips on the front bumper and on the second day onward the “park assist disabled/ lane assistance disabled” error would flash on startup.

We have a service center visit scheduled but the visit date is beyond the 7 day return mark.

On some research, it seems like these issues are common with M3s on delivery. Not to sound too facetious, do folks generally return their cars (and re-order) or just suck it up and get the issues fixed?

For those that have gotten it fixed, do the wind noise and radar issues recur or are these issues generally fixed for good with a svc center visit?

That question doesn't bode well for a black and white answer.

The truth is refusing delivery or returning the car isn't a very practical solution, unless you have serious issues with the car.

Minor cosmetic issues on the front bumper is sort of an inevitability. I ignored mine during delivery, knowing I would sooner collect rock chips and etc. It turned out someone on the road bumped into it anyway (their fault), so I ended up with a brand new bumper.

The window alignment is probably an easy fix. And if it gives effects that bother you, definitely have it fixed.

Other stuff is really about does it really really matter? I have some paint imperfection that, in a theoretical resale scenario, someone will nitpick. I will have Tesla address those. I caught some other imperfections that now I don't even remember -- these ones i can just toss out the window

• Helpful
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
There are very common and minor issue for model 3. Just document them with your delivery agent within 3 days or 72 hours (my agent honor me even after 2 months lol) and they will just replace your bumper. The question is what color is your car? if it's white, you will most likely end up with color mis matching bumper ( at least mine)

I can’t speak to the other things but I had a paint blemish on my white M3 that I didn’t notice until a couple days later, too. Since I picked it up at a delivery center I had to go back to have them agree it was a defect at delivery and log it in their system. I don’t recall the technician term for the report but it allows the service center to do the work without charging. Good luck.

I can’t speak to the other things but I had a paint blemish on my white M3 that I didn’t notice until a couple days later, too. Since I picked it up at a delivery center I had to go back to have them agree it was a defect at delivery and log it in their system. I don’t recall the technician term for the report but it allows the service center to do the work without charging. Good luck.
Due bill

You are better off rejecting a car if you are not satisfied with its condition rather than returning the car after the fact. If you reject a car they just assign you a new one. If you return the car they prevent you from reordering the same car for 12 months. And they hold on to your money for 60 days. Returns are very messy.

It’s very important to do a thorough inspection of the car before you take delivery.

Reactions: polyphonic54
My car had misadjusted pass side rear door and bumper clip not correctly installed - I took the car, went to service for something they found ( a paint drop on back door panel ) and strongly requested immediate fix. They tried to claim both needed a body shop and I suppose I shamed them by saying I could probably adjust the door better - a tech came out, adjusted the door and got the bumper back properly onto the clip. They ordered a new rear door card because they could not get the paint off w/o damaging the black color.

Your car's issue seem more significant and I would be tempted to return it.