Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues switching between Forward and Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So occasionally I think I shift the vehicle from F to R or vice-versa and it doesn't "take". Sometimes it is associated with an alert sound (but I don't see any text) but most times it isn't. I'm pretty sure the speed in <3mph, although I'm thinking perhaps when I've heard the audible alert I was going a tad bit faster?

The one scary incident was when I was trying to do a "quick u-turn" on a very narrow road with stop-and-go traffic. It took me 4 steps to complete the turn and on one of the steps I thought I had put it into forward and then I hit the accelerator and just about ran right into the curb behind me.

I did some experimentation on my own and it works just fine when I'm watching, I can go into F while rolling backwards and vice versa, at speeds up to 3mph.

Just interested to hear some theories on what I'm doing wrong. Perhaps I just don't push the stick far enough once in a while?

I've had the audible alert when I have changed it from D to N rather than all the way to R. So your theory of not pushing the stick far enough may be one of the possibilities.
I always like to double-check that it is in the gear I want it to be in...a bit harder now that the indicator is moved off to the right, and mostly obstructed by the steering wheel.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you hold the brake while you try to switch?

You don't have to hold the brake...that's the fun part.

I didn't say come to a complete stop, but I believe you do have to hold the brake to get it to engage in D from R and R from D... Otherwise it goes into N.

I'll test this today, but that's how I recall it.

It seems to work without the brake at slow speeds. I do this all the time backing out of my driveway in the morning. I can flick it into Drive without the brake. I think at speeds above some threshold, it will only go into Neutral no matter how far you pull the stalk.

Yes, I can confirm you can change gears without touching the brake.

And yes I agree I should confirm, but when you are trying to complete a quick maneuver while traffic is bearing down at you at 40+mph then it is nice to be able to change gears quickly and reliably.

Also just tried something...if you are in D going 3mph, take your foot off the go pedal, and press the lever to D (which you are already in) , it puts you in N.
I expected it to stay in D. To get it back in D I had to press the brake and push the lever down again.

No speculation needed:

Tesla-Manual-Shifting.jpg

What sucks is when you are rolling just a little too fast and you flip it from R to D but it stays in R!! Then when you hit the gas again, you shoot backward. Stupid! I understand not letting it switch from one direction to another above a certain speed but it should always switch to neutral if you're still going to fast. Staying in the same gear is dangerous when the driver expects it to be switched.

What sucks is when you are rolling just a little too fast and you flip it from R to D but it stays in R!! Then when you hit the gas again, you shoot backward. Stupid! I understand not letting it switch from one direction to another above a certain speed but it should always switch to neutral if you're still going to fast. Staying in the same gear is dangerous when the driver expects it to be switched.

Especially when doing a maneuver, such as a quick 3-point turn because the "beep beep beep" is delayed and you are already pressing the accelerator by the time you hear the sound.

^^ this. The car should obviously drop into neutral in this case.

I was reading somewhere (I can't remember where now) that Tesla was thinking some of the issues with driveline failure was due to wear on something internally when the car was switched from Drive to Reverse while the car was still in motion. Since reading this I make sure that the car is not moving when I switch from D to R.

I was reading somewhere (I can't remember where now) that Tesla was thinking some of the issues with driveline failure was due to wear on something internally when the car was switched from Drive to Reverse while the car was still in motion. Since reading this I make sure that the car is not moving when I switch from D to R.

I'm sure that was just speculation. The car kind of does that all the time when going from accelerating (or driving) to regenerative braking. In both cases, actually switching from D to R and and going from acceleration to regen, the software will make sure the transition is smooth. Remember, there is no real mechanical switching of gears and the motor isn't directly linked to the pedal. So there is no way to do a hard switch under load/power.