Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues trying to charge from NEMA 14-30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, not sure if I should start a new thread (Newb :)) - but having an issue trying to charge off 14-30. Have a Model S from 2017 & just installed 30A outlet - but when I connect (through adapter to mobile charger) - car display stays on “Calculating….” & 0 MPH charge speed. Circa 240V. Any ideas on how to diagnose the issue?

Hi, not sure if I should start a new thread (Newb :)) - but having an issue trying to charge off 14-30. Have a Model S from 2017 & just installed 30A outlet - but when I connect (through adapter to mobile charger) - car display stays on “Calculating….” & 0 MPH charge speed. Circa 240V. Any ideas on how to diagnose the issue?
A few things to check right off off hand:

1. Does the car have any issues when charging at a public charger with a J1772 connector?

2. Does the outlet look like this?

1642956101454.png

3. Check the voltage using a voltmeter. You should see 240v from hot to hot, and 120v from either hot to neutral and from either hot to ground.

A few things to check right off off hand:

1. Does the car have any issues when charging at a public charger with a J1772 connector?

2. Does the outlet look like this?

View attachment 759175

3. Check the voltage using a voltmeter. You should see 240v from hot to hot, and 120v from either hot to neutral and from either hot to ground.
Thanks for quick response! It’s a 30A socket like this.
1642959010292.jpeg

And then I created a simple adapter to convert to mobile charger 14-50 adapter. Obviously I dialed down the charger Amps to below 24A to accommodate 30A breaker load.

I’ll check the volt meter readings in a bit - snowing a bit outside right now :).

View attachment 759188
And then I created a simple adapter to convert to mobile charger 14-50 adapter. Obviously I dialed down the charger Amps to below 24A to accommodate 30A breaker load.

I’ll check the volt meter readings in a bit - snowing a bit outside right now :).

L14-30 Twist-lock Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters is a simpler solution, but whatever :)

So your charging screen is actually showing 240V when you plug in? If you start using power(HVAC) when you have it plugged in, does it start showing a current?

Reactions: ATPMSD
View attachment 759188

Everything else aside, converting a 14-50 mobile charger adapter to this L14-30R receptacle is a bad idea. The car mobile adapter can read what adapter is connected to it and adjust the max amperage accordingly. You are telling it you have a 50 amp plug. At a minimum that can trip your breaker. At a maximum it could start a fire.

You should start by throwing that out and buying the 30 Amp adapter that @Sophias_dad suggested, or buy the proper NEMA 14-30 adapter from Tesla and get your receptacle switched over.

The mobile adapter plugs have temperature sensors in them to detect if the outlet is getting hot. Your adapter does not.

This is all sorts of bad even if you did set the maximum charging amps to 24 amps in the car. That's a software switch and it could get messed up with a software update or even someone playing with it and you not noticing.

I have the Tesla 14-30 adapter and a 14-30 outlet and the charging works fine. You should look into that.

Everything else aside, converting a 14-50 mobile charger adapter to this L14-30R receptacle is a bad idea. The car mobile adapter can read what adapter is connected to it and adjust the max amperage accordingly. You are telling it you have a 50 amp plug. At a minimum that can trip your breaker. At a maximum it could start a fire.

You should start by throwing that out and buying the 30 Amp adapter that @Sophias_dad suggested, or buy the proper NEMA 14-30 adapter from Tesla and get your receptacle switched over.

The mobile adapter plugs have temperature sensors in them to detect if the outlet is getting hot. Your adapter does not.

This is all sorts of bad even if you did set the maximum charging amps to 24 amps in the car. That's a software switch and it could get messed up with a software update or even someone playing with it and you not noticing.

I have the Tesla 14-30 adapter and a 14-30 outlet and the charging works fine. You should look into that.
I hear you & definitely good advice. Not planning this to be a long term (or even short term) solution - but being many miles from town in below 0 F temps - sometimes you have to make a plan or get a tow. Will get a 30A adapter going forward. Thanks

Reactions: Braumin