Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with 2020.48.30 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody else have issues with the 2020.48.30 update?

I just (finally) received it this morning and applied it.

Once done - everything looked normal, I went to the car and restarted it (press the two scroll wheels until screens go black). I have found my car is always a bit wonky after an update until I restart it.

When the car came back up, it had the OLD release notes dialog showing.
It had a warning indicator telling me that navigation was not available (I checked and the navigation data is apparently gone completely).
All of my settings, profiles and Homelink information is gone.

Even the windshield wipers, which I always leave on automatic, started running - when I pulled the door handle to get out.

I'm not at all sure when I can expect the navigation data to reappear. Or if I have to do something to force it to come down.

I don't mind re-doing my settings, but the profiles will be a pain - you know how it is when you get things just right...

The car is usable but I'm wondering if this hit anybody else or if my car is the lucky outlier?

Edit: I've shut down the power, waited 3 minutes and then started it again. I've restarted the car 3-4 times, each time with different/odd results - i.e. it just started one of the new games, then restarted itself after the game was done initializing.

Once done - everything looked normal, I went to the car and restarted it (press the two scroll wheels until screens go black). I have found my car is always a bit wonky after an update until I restart it.

It had a warning indicator telling me that navigation was not available (I checked and the navigation data is apparently gone completely).

Even the windshield wipers, which I always leave on automatic, started running - when I pulled the door handle to get out.

I'm not at all sure when I can expect the navigation data to reappear. Or if I have to do something to force it to come down.

I don't mind re-doing my settings, but the profiles will be a pain - you know how it is when you get things just right...

The car is usable but I'm wondering if this hit anybody else or if my car is the lucky outlier?

Edit: I've shut down the power, waited 3 minutes and then started it again. I've restarted the car 3-4 times, each time with different/odd results - i.e. it just started one of the new games, then restarted itself after the game was done initializing.
What year is your Model X? Do you know the date of manufacture? It can be found on the sticker inside the driver's door.

Whoops! Yes, kind of basic information to leave out!

The car was manufactured 3/17.
It's a Model X 75D
Did you ever upgrade the MCU to MCU2 or are you still on the original one? The memory on pre 3/18 vehicles is known to wear out and cause problems. Have you seen other issues before the update such as long reboot times, blank screens, slow to calculate navigation routes, etc.? If so, you might want to check out some of the MCU1/eMMC threads:
Model S/X eMMC MCU Replacement - Warrenty Adjustment Program
Tesla Covering MCU1 Issues!!
Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500
Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

If that's what's causing your problems, it might be covered under warranty or you could have the eMMC replaced for less than $500. Alternatively, you could replace the entire MCU with the same model for less than $2000 or replace with MCU2 for $2250 to $2750, depending on options.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Did you ever upgrade the MCU to MCU2 or are you still on the original one?

Yes, I've updated the MCU to the latest (did this in June) and also had them install the new FSD computer.

I *did* have a whole debacle after that update where my 12V battery was dying every couple of weeks. But Tesla has sorted that all out for me. So the car is (was) working fine as of late.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yes, I've updated the MCU to the latest (did this in June) and also had them install the new FSD computer.

I *did* have a whole debacle after that update where my 12V battery was dying every couple of weeks. But Tesla has sorted that all out for me. So the car is (was) working fine as of late.
Oh. There goes my idea about the old MCU then! lol.

I just got the update on my 3/17 S100D yesterday and have the MCU2 and FSD upgrades. I just moved the car this morning and didn't see any issues, fortunately. You might want to consider opening up a service ticket in the app.

I just did the update yesterday as well on a '17 X. I too have MCU2 and FSD. I haven't noticed any issues yet, but will be taking it on a drive in the next hour or so.

Now in regards to the 12V battery, did they tell you what the issue was? I have a mobile appointment on Thursday to have it replaced after they just replaced in Aug. Not something I feel like repeating every four months. I got the warning a month ago, and my SC just got them in stock this morning.

Now in regards to the 12V battery, did they tell you what the issue was?

Yes, there is a miscommunication between the legacy battery system and the new MCU. Basically the legacy system was returning status information that the MCU was not able to interpret correctly.

There was also something else in the mix that would lead to the system misinterpreting something coming from the charge port when it was plugged in.

The net result was that 1) the system got confused, 2) the system could not reset itself to kind of start over when the issue happened, 3) it would then basically stop charging the 12 volt battery to protect it.

So it ironically was killing the 12V battery whenever it was plugged in which is most of the time.

Part of the issue was dealt with by a firmware update (I believe this was a general update) some time in September I believe.

The rest is a little unclear to me. There was a firmware update made specifically for my car (most likely this was done for testing and the change was integrated into the Generally Available update) but I cannot guarantee that I don't have some special code lingering somewhere in my car's systems.
There is also a tiny chance that they replaced some other hardware that was acting up but I was not specifically informed of this.

Long Story Short, Definitely get your car in the shop, they need to be capturing the diagnostic logs to see what the charging system is doing. If your battery is not lasting at least 18 months and preferably 24+ months then there is a problem they need to address.

BTW, there is an ongoing issue where the car wakes up MUCH more frequently when it's plugged in and experiences greater phantom drain of the main battery. I worry that the constant waking up and sleeping will reduce the car's robustness in the future.

I'm also tracking another issue where the car seems to not sleep if it's not connected to WiFi.

All of the above would ultimately be impactful on your 12V system as it has to power all of the now-awake components. Combine that with a charging issue that is almost certainly there from your description and there is plenty for the Tesla SC to do.

Reactions: Stin121
Yes, there is a miscommunication between the legacy battery system and the new MCU. Basically the legacy system was returning status information that the MCU was not able to interpret correctly.

There was also something else in the mix that would lead to the system misinterpreting something coming from the charge port when it was plugged in.

The net result was that 1) the system got confused, 2) the system could not reset itself to kind of start over when the issue happened, 3) it would then basically stop charging the 12 volt battery to protect it.

So it ironically was killing the 12V battery whenever it was plugged in which is most of the time.

Part of the issue was dealt with by a firmware update (I believe this was a general update) some time in September I believe.

The rest is a little unclear to me. There was a firmware update made specifically for my car (most likely this was done for testing and the change was integrated into the Generally Available update) but I cannot guarantee that I don't have some special code lingering somewhere in my car's systems.
There is also a tiny chance that they replaced some other hardware that was acting up but I was not specifically informed of this.

Long Story Short, Definitely get your car in the shop, they need to be capturing the diagnostic logs to see what the charging system is doing. If your battery is not lasting at least 18 months and preferably 24+ months then there is a problem they need to address.

BTW, there is an ongoing issue where the car wakes up MUCH more frequently when it's plugged in and experiences greater phantom drain of the main battery. I worry that the constant waking up and sleeping will reduce the car's robustness in the future.

I'm also tracking another issue where the car seems to not sleep if it's not connected to WiFi.

All of the above would ultimately be impactful on your 12V system as it has to power all of the now-awake components. Combine that with a charging issue that is almost certainly there from your description and there is plenty for the Tesla SC to do.
I noticed a similar issue in September or so after an update. We have Powerwalls and I check the household usage every day and I noticed a spike in usage every two hours. The spike was the car topping off the battery every two hours. We scheduled a service visit and the mobile tech spent a couple hours testing things. I was sure the 12V was going out but he said it was fine. I got another update a couple weeks later and the 2 hour charging spikes disappeared.

Reactions: EagleOne
An additional Tidbit, restarting the car a couple more times has reinstated the navigation information (I kind of thought it might still be there because I could see maps on the screen).

But I just noticed that Several features show as "not supported in current region"
- Navigate on Autopilot
- Traffic light and stop sign control
- Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview

I have set up a mobile service call for Thursday...

An additional Tidbit, restarting the car a couple more times has reinstated the navigation information (I kind of thought it might still be there because I could see maps on the screen).

But I just noticed that Several features show as "not supported in current region"
- Navigate on Autopilot
- Traffic light and stop sign control
- Full Self-Driving Visualization Preview

I have set up a mobile service call for Thursday...
Does your location show up correctly on the map?

Thank you, I am going to talk to the Ranger when they come on Thursday about this. I cleared the alert yesterday, so I could install the update, and it hasn't come back yet, but I will let them still come and look at it.

Does your location show up correctly on the map?

Not at first. It was showing me as being in Palo Alto (satellite map *was* showing). Subsequent restarts had the map come up blank with my car icon on it, no idea where it thought I was at that point.

But a hard restart (power off for 3 minutes, etc.) and a few double scroll-wheel restarts later both the maps and my car position showed up OK after I rolled it about 3 yards forward the car location snapped into the right place.

I've experienced this problem too. My M3P updated to 2020.48.30 on 12/31. I'd driven it three times since then with no noticeable problems. Today (about an hour ago), I pulled out and noticed LTE not connected. Living near Nashville and experiencing that same thing a few weeks ago, I immediately looked at my phone and saw it WAS connected. Next, I proceeded to do the soft-reboot holding the two steering wheel buttons. When it came back up, LTE eventually reconnected, but gone were my profiles, car's name, Homelink, WiFi networks, and the Release Notes would not display. Pulled off and WiFi tethered car through phone to see if anything needed to be downloaded. Got an error that Navigation data was missing. I did another reboot and navigation error went away, but I've not yet tried to actually navigate to anywhere.

I've not yet tried a full reboot, but will be doing so in a few minutes. Just noticed only a few mentions of this issue and decided to add my own experience if nothing else than to raise the profile of it.

Here is my story:

Late ‘16 MX currently equipped with MCU2, HW3 and running 48.26.

In the early evening of New Year’s Day I needed to make a run to the store. Got in the car and everything came on as expected. Pulled out of the garage and the car disconnected from the WiFi and tried to connect to cellular. I asked to navigate to the store via voice commands but received a notice that navigation was not available. I then looked at the IC and all of the images had changed. I then looked and found that I had no cellular connection. My phone (also ATT) had bars so something was up.

Drove to the store hoping the connection would fix itself but still nothing. When I finished my shopping I tried the scroll wheel reset option but nothing worked. I then noticed a message asking me to remove the dashcam thumb drive as it was corrupted. The drive is for dashcam only. I removed it but nothing changed. Drove home, parked it hoping a WiFi reconnection would bring everything back to normal, but nothing. I then noticed that my profile was also gone and all of my radio favorites had disappeared. Also noticed that the navigation screen showed the Tesla HQ as my home location and so did the phone app. Performed the scroll wheel option again but still nothing. Plugged it in and went inside.

The next day I returned to the car and it still had not reset. Put in a request for mobile service to investigate. Later that day I decided to plug the thumb drive back in and reformat it. Once I was finished some of the lost features came back returned and so did the navigation but my profile was still missing. Yesterday I decided to reset all of my lost presets and re-established my profile. Now, everything appears black to normal.

Received a message from the mobile technician this morning. He ran a scan based upon my description and found that for some reason the car had reset itself to the factory resets. He also sent me a new maps file. He also asked me to re-establish my profile (which I had already done). He did not have an answer to what created the problem so he sent everything he had to engineering for them to figure it out.

Long story short, I am now back up and running but still scratching my head over what caused it.

I've experienced this problem too. My M3P updated to 2020.48.30 on 12/31. I'd driven it three times since then with no noticeable problems. Today (about an hour ago), I pulled out and noticed LTE not connected. Living near Nashville and experiencing that same thing a few weeks ago, I immediately looked at my phone and saw it WAS connected. Next, I proceeded to do the soft-reboot holding the two steering wheel buttons. When it came back up, LTE eventually reconnected, but gone were my profiles, car's name, Homelink, WiFi networks, and the Release Notes would not display. Pulled off and WiFi tethered car through phone to see if anything needed to be downloaded. Got an error that Navigation data was missing. I did another reboot and navigation error went away, but I've not yet tried to actually navigate to anywhere.

I've not yet tried a full reboot, but will be doing so in a few minutes. Just noticed only a few mentions of this issue and decided to add my own experience if nothing else than to raise the profile of it.

Went back out to car fully prepared to do power down and found my radio presets had returned. Profile still missing though. Reluctantly created a new one and went through every single screen to set everything back to my liking. Fortunately, had not moved the seats or mirrors. When new profile was done, just saved current positions. Also, configured Home address and then was able to setup HomeLink and that then returned to the screen. At this point, I think I'm back to good, though after manually recreating everything. I'll go out and test Navigation later this evening, but looking good so far.

:):);)
Went back out to car fully prepared to do power down and found my radio presets had returned. Profile still missing though. Reluctantly created a new one and went through every single screen to set everything back to my liking. Fortunately, had not moved the seats or mirrors. When new profile was done, just saved current positions. Also, configured Home address and then was able to setup HomeLink and that then returned to the screen. At this point, I think I'm back to good, though after manually recreating everything. I'll go out and test Navigation later this evening, but looking good so far.
Pretty much the same stuff I did also. Symptoms were the same and so was the cure. I hope Tesla develops a vaccine so this doesn’t spread to others.