Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with 2021 models and chargepoint chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model S. Recently my company has installed new CT4000 ChargePoint chargers in multiple locations. I have been having an issue with the charger starting for 1sec, stopping, starting for 3-5 seconds and then stopping again. No error codes what so ever. I have charged at different ChargePoint locations with the same style but older. Its happened at 2 different locations. The problem seems to be with newer teslas on newer chargers as I'm not the only one in my organization that has reported this issue. The charger has charged other EV's and plug in hybrids as well.

Well 1st off it is not a "Charger" it is a "Charging Station". The charger is in the Tesla.

It sounds like at handshake issue between the ChargePoint Station and the Tesla onboard charger. So not familiar with that station. Do you have to use the adapter Tesla provided?

Make sure to post the solution when you find out !

M

Hi All, since my new MSLR is 2022, i posted a separate thread. But, will mention here that I am having similar problems with chargepoint. Twice now. The first time with a charger that has existed at least 3 years and i have used with no problms with my 2019 M3. but with my MS, it simply 'stops' after plugged in. Somehow i messed around for a couple minutes and got it working. Today, i tried a differnt location and no luck at all. Any solutions? At least my car charges fine at Superchargers! cant wait to move from this temp apt to a house where i can just charge overnite.

My '21 Model Y worked perfectly with my home ChargePoint charging station until 2/1/22. Now it will not charge. It repeatedly cycles "ready-charging-plugged in" and clicks but does not charge. I can charge at Public ChargePoint charging stations and Tesla SC with no problem. I tried my neighbors home ChargePoint and it will not charge there either. I've contacted ChargePoint, Tesla Service, and Xcel, no one has a solution.

Sorry I should have asked does your vehicle charge without issue on the Tesla SC'ers and other charging stations? If so it will probably be an issue until Tesla and ChargePoint get together.

M
As a newbie Tesla owner, how does one get Tesla and ChargePoint to get together? I have reported the issue I have with home charging to Tesla Service and have had repeated contact with ChargePoint. What else can I do?

As a newbie Tesla owner, how does one get Tesla and ChargePoint to get together? I have reported the issue I have with home charging to Tesla Service and have had repeated contact with ChargePoint. What else can I do?
Gee, that is a challenging problem! Wish i had a good answer. I have spend the last few weeks trying to get Tesla and Cal DMV to speak to one another and no luck so far! If I were you I would just punt. Use trickle charging at home or use one of those 220v outlets like a dryer uses and use the Tesla adapter for that. Of course, you could buy and install a Tesla charger, but wouldnt blame you for not wanting to give Tesla any more $$.

Gee, that is a challenging problem! Wish i had a good answer. I have spend the last few weeks trying to get Tesla and Cal DMV to speak to one another and no luck so far! If I were you I would just punt. Use trickle charging at home or use one of those 220v outlets like a dryer uses and use the Tesla adapter for that. Of course, you could buy and install a Tesla charger, but wouldnt blame
Gee, that is a challenging problem! Wish i had a good answer. I have spend the last few weeks trying to get Tesla and Cal DMV to speak to one another and no luck so far! If I were you I would just punt. Use trickle charging at home or use one of those 220v outlets like a dryer uses and use the Tesla adapter for that. Of course, you could buy and install a Tesla charger, but wouldnt blame you for not wanting to give Tesla any more $$.

Thanks for you relpy. It's not just not wanting to not give Tesla more money, Xcel is giving us awesome discounts for charging at home. They provided the charging station, paid for the install, and will give us a discount on usage during off-hours ;-)

Something wrong with the adapter?

I don't know if this is relevant, but it might be. I have a 2016 Model S (Mobileye). It was real flakey at some ChargePoint pedestals as described by others in this thread. And it seemed to be getting worse month by month.

Then I got a new Tesla - J1772 adapter. Now it's not flakey, charging works fine. The old adapter's thin center connector, above the two fat connectors, is discolored compared to the new one.

The adapter I got by chance. Somebody vandalized my charging cable (!!!) and I replaced it. Along with the replacement came the adapter.