Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with an inventory P3D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh - you know when a thread starts out with that one word "Ugh", things aren't good. I need everyone's advice. I had purchased a P3D inventory model for a great deal ($9k off), but Tesla sent that car to China instead of Nor. Cal (or it was a computer glitch on their inventory system). In any case, I finally found another one in Seattle with 1k miles ($890 adjustment) and they offered to ship it to N. Cal for free. I went to pick it up today and noticed that the panel gaps on the trunk on one side is huge. They will fix that. So, I took the car to go get the wheels powder coated when Joe at OCDetailing (great guy and shop if you need any work done), noticed that the bumper had been repainted. So, I took it back to Tesla and they said they can repaint the bumper. At this point, I dont' know what to do. I don't want any more surprises with this car, and the discount isn't great. But, it is the only white on black in the country. What would you all do?

Attachments

• 58811501503__E791EC7E-2B69-4096-90EE-E3A9F8B9D9AB.JPG
    58811501503__E791EC7E-2B69-4096-90EE-E3A9F8B9D9AB.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 58811501503__E791EC7E-2B69-4096-90EE-E3A9F8B9D9AB.JPG
    58811501503__E791EC7E-2B69-4096-90EE-E3A9F8B9D9AB.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 70
Ugh - you know when a thread starts out with that one word "Ugh", things aren't good. I need everyone's advice. I had purchased a P3D inventory model for a great deal ($9k off), but Tesla sent that car to China instead of Nor. Cal (or it was a computer glitch on their inventory system). In any case, I finally found another one in Seattle with 1k miles ($890 adjustment) and they offered to ship it to N. Cal for free. I went to pick it up today and noticed that the panel gaps on the trunk on one side is huge. They will fix that. So, I took the car to go get the wheels powder coated when Joe at OCDetailing (great guy and shop if you need any work done), noticed that the bumper had been repainted. So, I took it back to Tesla and they said they can repaint the bumper. At this point, I dont' know what to do. I don't want any more surprises with this car, and the discount isn't great. But, it is the only white on black in the country. What would you all do?
let Tesla fix it.

Ok thanks. Yeah, that is what I was leaning towards. But, if the car was in an accident, or if other issues comes up, I really don't want to have to deal with it.
If it’s been in a collision there will be a history of it just pull the vin and check. It is really obvious, I’d definitely request a larger adjustment if that’s even possible at this point.

Are you willing to consider different colours?

It won't show up, because they wouldn't report it. It has never had an owner and was an inventory car. I am open to other colors. I was thinking maybe White interior with black exterior or grey exterior. But the grey is very blase imo and black is a pain in the butt to keep clean. Sigh.

They don't know why it was repainted. It was shipped from Seattle and picked up in Fremont.

Well, a company doesn’t just decide to randomly repaint a bumper for no particular reason.

When I went to pick up for first Model 3 it had numerous panel alignment issues and never should have made it out of the factory. I rejected the car. They ended up selling it the next day to someone else who wasn’t paying attention or just didn’t care. No efforts were made to document the issues with the car.

I suspect the same thing happened here. They repainted the bumper and did not document why to keep the maintenance records clean. Unfortunately you don’t know what else may have happened to it. You didn’t get enough of a discount to take a car with an unknown history in my opinion. If it were me I would return it and get a new one with no issues.

God Tesla just sucks. So I was informed by delivery that they have a new policy in place. If a car is returned, not only will it take 4-6 weeks to get the funds reimbursed, but the person who bought the car cannot buy the same configuration for a year. So because of their dishonesty, I am being penalized and cannot by a Performance 3 for a year. This is unreal.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7
God Tesla just sucks. So I was informed by delivery that they have a new policy in place. If a car is returned, not only will it take 4-6 weeks to get the funds reimbursed, but the person who bought the car cannot buy the same configuration for a year. So because of their dishonesty, I am being penalized and cannot by a Performance 3 for a year. This is unreal.

I think they just make this stuff up as they go along. Check your purchase agreement for wording around the return policy. I doubt any of that is in there.

I’d also be surprised if they have any mechanism to block you from placing another order online. But who knows.

Wow! That's absurd. Thankfully you have a good case with the bumper. Not disclosing repainting is one they will want to sweep under the rug if you complain to someone who matters so they will surely accommodate you.

Ok. Calm down. ALL manufacturers can and will repaint parts damaged during shipping. The customer will never know and it doesn’t have to be disclosed unless the damage meets some threshold (some percentage of car value). There is nothing to worry about here. I just had half my car repainted due to an accident and it looks awesome again. I am not worried. If the car looks good, drives well, and has no other issues, then take it.

Tesla had a lot of issues with White Bumpers not matching. Don't assume because it's off color that it was in an accident or anything.

I would NEVER take a car with 1000 miles for $1000 off. Especially a Tesla. Who know's what that car has been through. Could be a Return.