Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with camera calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

IWantThatOne

I've got my MY :)
May 11, 2022
England
I picked up my Model Y with EAP yesterday from Bluewater, and got all my settings ready before setting off, including activating the various AP items that needed to first.
It said cameras needed to be calibrated first, and i'd ready it take about 25 miles, so thought that's fine as i'm heading to Essex.
Drove M25 & A12 pretty steady 70ish all the way home, checked calibration status and still showing at 0%. I tried a camera calibration reset from the service menu before heading out again, and still 0%.
I raised as service issue in Tesla app, and Tesla are saying needs to drive 100 miles to calibrate. I asked them that i should surely see at least 1% of progress, especially now that i'm up to 77 miles - but they're being a bit vague.

Has anybody else had this issue before? Trying to understand whether i need to push them harder to get this sorted.

I picked up my Model Y with EAP yesterday from Bluewater, and got all my settings ready before setting off, including activating the various AP items that needed to first.
It said cameras needed to be calibrated first, and i'd ready it take about 25 miles, so thought that's fine as i'm heading to Essex.
Drove M25 & A12 pretty steady 70ish all the way home, checked calibration status and still showing at 0%. I tried a camera calibration reset from the service menu before heading out again, and still 0%.
I raised as service issue in Tesla app, and Tesla are saying needs to drive 100 miles to calibrate. I asked them that i should surely see at least 1% of progress, especially now that i'm up to 77 miles - but they're being a bit vague.

Has anybody else had this issue before? Trying to understand whether i need to push them harder to get this sorted.
I suspect a variety of road types and speeds rather than a steady 70ish may be quicker for the calibration. If it doesn't complete with some driving today I think it would be worth doing a 2 button reset and trying again ... then get back in touch with Service if no change.

Reactions: IWantThatOne
I drove from Bluewater to Essex in mine, it had calibrated by the time I joined the A127. I then had a camera replaced in the side pillar as it was getting condensation in it, which meant they needed calibrating again and I drove about 20 miles down the A127 and back and they had calibrated again, this time though the blue circle moved to a couple of percent for much longer then took a big jump at one point to calibrated.

I guess get that 100 miles out the way and then raise the request again if they haven't calibrated

I suspect a variety of road types and speeds rather than a steady 70ish may be quicker for the calibration.
This sort of fits with my recent experience, I recently had my autopilot computer swapped out, so the cameras needed recalibrating. The status was sat at the "In Progress" stage for way more than 100 miles (non Motorway miles). As soon as I entered a motorway and got up to speed (70mph) the cameras started working and I could see all the visuals/autopilot was available.

Did you read the manual ?

1664456601082.png

If the M25 was busy then calibration perhaps didn't happen on your way home. Go try a motorway when it's quiet.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
Did you read the manual ?

View attachment 858070

If the M25 was busy then calibration perhaps didn't happen on your way home. Go try a motorway when it's quiet.
If a British motorway is empty the highways Wombles will shut it and dig it up.

Mine was certainly under 100miles back in December. I’d say two button reset, finish your 100 miles and get back in touch with Tesla.

• Funny
I recalibrated ours after a 3 mile drive out to the motorway along a mix of (often poorly marked as is typical in UK) urban streets (iirc by which time it had got to ~80%) and a couple of miles on the motorway. Originally ours took similar distance, just different route.

So based upon non ideal sample of 2, yes, you would expect to see it moving off 0%.

Thanks for all responses. Its good to compare to other's experiences. I continued to query the TA about how there is literally 0% progress after my continued mileage, and they then did a remote check and found a problem with either the camera or connection. I've been booked in, and now they're trying to source a camera too.

I did see the 5 lane brief - made me chuckle as i certainly wasn't planning to scouring the country to calibrate when most people seem to achieve in sub-10 miles... although i'm sure that would be a great excuse to go road-tripping for the weekend 🤣

I have a model Y for around an year and living on a city where there are no highways to drive for a minimum of mileage to complete the calibration. Already try to reset and use a bridge with 2 lanes marked and around 3 miles long. Unsuccessful and after 1460 km still continue in calibration. It doesn’t happen to a model X and model 3 used in our family. Does anyone can help with suggestions to sort out this problem on my model Y ? Does a service center can find a solution?

I have a model Y for around an year and living on a city where there are no highways to drive for a minimum of mileage to complete the calibration. Already try to reset and use a bridge with 2 lanes marked and around 3 miles long. Unsuccessful and after 1460 km still continue in calibration. It doesn’t happen to a model X and model 3 used in our family. Does anyone can help with suggestions to sort out this problem on my model Y ? Does a service center can find a solution?
No reason to hold back from contacting the service centre using the app in my opinion.

I did see the 5 lane brief - made me chuckle as i certainly wasn't planning to scouring the country to calibrate when most people seem to achieve in sub-10 miles... although i'm sure that would be a great excuse to go road-tripping for the weekend 🤣
I wouldn't worry too much about five lanes, but you should spend some time e.g., driving in lane 2 of a three lane motorway, if you haven't already. The manual seems to be saying that the car wants to be able to see lanes on both sides of the driving lane in order to calibrate.

I think you have waited long enough. Something abnormal is going on an a service call will start resolution of the problem. Short of driving only on unmarked roads, it should have finished calibrating a year ago. Just like your other cars finished calibration probably pretty quickly in same conditions.

Hi all,

Just thought i'd post a resolution update on here just in case it helps other in the future - it was definitely a hardware issue.

Took into SC this morning - camera replaced, and fully calibrated in the 4 mile journey to get home. I really like EAP - i think i'll be using this constantly now :)

From various conversations, i've found out that even though Tesla say it can take up to 100 miles to calibrate, typically it's less than 20 - and you should see progress within a couple. Anything less is an early indicator of a problem.