Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Gateway Metering-Anyone seen this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently had a new solar with 2 Powerwalls installed. (Not Tesla Installer) After PTO I started using the app and monitoring the data. While the system seems to be working correctly there is definitely an issue with the metering. Shortly after the solar day starts the house load will drop to zero in the app and stay there unless there is a big load in the house and then I might see a short positive spike. Using the API aggregate meters I can see that the house load during this time is actually showing negative. As the sun starts to go down, the house load starts trending up above zero and finally shows true load for the rest of the night. (Verified with Sense) My installer suspected this might need a firmware push for the Gateway from Tesla so I called and opened a case. Tesla reached out and said they see the anomaly and that they felt the solar CT polarity was wrong. They changed that from their end. While this showed positive house loads, the next day when solar started up, the gateway would not charge the Powerwalls. All excess was pushed back to grid. So called Tesla again and they could see their solution did not work and escalated to next support tier. I also had them reverse their "fix" and batteries immediately started to charge again. Waiting to hear back from the next support level.

Wondering if any of this sounds familiar to any of your installs? If so, what might the resolution have been?

Cheers

IMG_6337.jpeg

It is very common for the CTs to be configured incorrectly on a new install, leading to this kind of troubles. Keep on top of Tesla support and they will eventually straighten it out, even if they have to send someone out to physically move the CTs.

@Damclarkd, I had very similar issues as well.
My CT was and is in a subpanel on the 2nd story where my 20A breaker is for the solar system.
This CT has an antenna on top. I asked the tech when he installed it if that will transmit out of the metal subpanel. Yes, it will.;)
Well, not very well at all. I called them. One day tech calls that he is on way or here already to look. Yep, this tech knew what was the issue.
That CT antenna was repositioned, place in the wall cavity, outside of that metal subpanel through a knockout.
Also made some changes in the Gateway. Works like a champ now.

@Damclarkd, I had very similar issues as well.
My CT was and is in a subpanel on the 2nd story where my 20A breaker is for the solar system.
This CT has an antenna on top. I asked the tech when he installed it if that will transmit out of the metal subpanel. Yes, it will.;)
Well, not very well at all. I called them. One day tech calls that he is on way or here already to look. Yep, this tech knew what was the issue.
That CT antenna was repositioned, place in the wall cavity, outside of that metal subpanel through a knockout.
Also made some changes in the Gateway. Works like a champ now.

Thanks charlesj. From the responses here it is sounding more and more like a change is needed in the gateway. I went and opened the gateway today and can see there are 3 different CT ports. My solar CT is in port one. And besides the negative house usage showing, the solar generation shown is about 52% of my actual everyday. Hoping Tesla can confirm this coming week and get someone (installer) out here to sort this out.

Cheers

I've recently had a new solar with 2 Powerwalls installed. (Not Tesla Installer) After PTO I started using the app and monitoring the data. While the system seems to be working correctly there is definitely an issue with the metering. Shortly after the solar day starts the house load will drop to zero in the app and stay there unless there is a big load in the house and then I might see a short positive spike. Using the API aggregate meters I can see that the house load during this time is actually showing negative. As the sun starts to go down, the house load starts trending up above zero and finally shows true load for the rest of the night. (Verified with Sense) My installer suspected this might need a firmware push for the Gateway from Tesla so I called and opened a case. Tesla reached out and said they see the anomaly and that they felt the solar CT polarity was wrong. They changed that from their end. While this showed positive house loads, the next day when solar started up, the gateway would not charge the Powerwalls. All excess was pushed back to grid. So called Tesla again and they could see their solution did not work and escalated to next support tier. I also had them reverse their "fix" and batteries immediately started to charge again. Waiting to hear back from the next support level.

Wondering if any of this sounds familiar to any of your installs? If so, what might the resolution have been?

Cheers

View attachment 617024
I had the same symptoms and they changed a ct to a different input port and made a setting change, like @Kcarver mentioned previously. It solved the problem.

When my install was done by Tesla, the powerwall team finished day 1 and the solar panel team didn’t finish until day two, so they didn’t test the solar ct setup during the install. The solar team was supposed to call the powerwall team to check out the ct connections, but they couldn’t connect that day by phone.

When the town came for the inspection a couple for days later, the Tesla rep who came for the inspection fixed the problem, with the powerwall installer on the phone.

Thanks charlesj. From the responses here it is sounding more and more like a change is needed in the gateway. I went and opened the gateway today and can see there are 3 different CT ports. My solar CT is in port one. And besides the negative house usage showing, the solar generation shown is about 52% of my actual everyday. Hoping Tesla can confirm this coming week and get someone (installer) out here to sort this out.

Cheers
Where is the CT sensor located in your setup? If close enough to the gateway, is it hard wired into the Gateway or it uses an antenna or something to send the info to Gateway?

Where is the CT sensor located in your setup? If close enough to the gateway, is it hard wired into the Gateway or it uses an antenna or something to send the info to Gateway?

CT is located right in the Gateway on one of the incoming solar legs. My setup uses the gateway panelboard for the incoming solar and the powerwalls. The CT is plugged into CT Port 1. I have been doing some reading today in the Powerwall Installation manuals and I notice that CT port 1 is used for phase A of the solar. CT port 3 is used for solar phase B. Also there is a configuration setting on the port for Solar or Solar (1CT x2). Because I am experiencing a solar production reading of ~ 52% of actual, I am thinking either a port change from CT1 to CT3 or they have it configured for 2 CT's instead of (1CTx2).

Cheers

CT is located right in the Gateway on one of the incoming solar legs. My setup uses the gateway panelboard for the incoming solar and the powerwalls. The CT is plugged into CT Port 1. I have been doing some reading today in the Powerwall Installation manuals and I notice that CT port 1 is used for phase A of the solar. CT port 3 is used for solar phase B. Also there is a configuration setting on the port for Solar or Solar (1CT x2). Because I am experiencing a solar production reading of ~ 52% of actual, I am thinking either a port change from CT1 to CT3 or they have it configured for 2 CT's instead of (1CTx2).

Cheers
While I have no credible idea about this, I wonder if it would harm anything if you just switched to CT3 for a bit. I doubt it would blow up and it may fix it. Does it have two coils around two leads or just 1?

In my case the solar ct is on one lead from a utility required solar production meter's feed. If I remember correctly, it was connected in the gateway 2 on input 1. I believe (and am not totally sure) that they changed it to input 2, and changed the multiplier to 2 in their settings. I was surprised as I had read in the install manual that it should be on input 1. If I get a chance I'll go take a look at it. In any case it should be an easy fix for them.