Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Glass roof and rear passengers / Kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BitJam: I see you're in Silver City, NM, similar relentless sun like here in Fort Worth. I'm interested in the EVglass sunshade.
Could you be more specific about the heat differential between the OEM roof glass and the installed EVglass sunshade? Is the EVglass just warm to the touch, when it has been exposed to full sun?
I currently use the HeatShield shade, and it blocks virtually all of the heat, but...it's...ugly. I like the idea of the EVglass product, if it is a significant difference in temperature.
Thanks.
First, the sun is much worse in Silver City due to elevation. We're at 6,000 feet and for every 1,000 feet of elevation UV intensity goes up 8-10%. On the plus side it's much cooler here due to the elevation and frequent monsoon rains. The elevation and low humidity make this is one of the best places in the US for amateur astronomy.

Something that blocks all the light/heat is significantly more effective than EVglass. OTOH, EVglass lowers the inside temperature of the roof by 20F, maybe a bit more. Going from roughly 140F to 120F on a sunny day. Yes, it's just warm to the touch but you can also feel some heat radiation. Unfortunately, I didn't have the EVglass installed during the peak of the summer heat.

The SUMK shade from Amazon is good quality. It is has two pieces with a thick wire frame. There is no flapping when the windows are open like the one piece wire frame shades. It's all black on the inside so it's barely noticeable from the front seats.

If seeing out the roof is your top priority then EVglass is the way to go. It really takes the edge off the heat. But if keeping the inside as cool and shaded as possible is the top priority then I recommend the SUMK shade. One downside of the EVglass is I needed help to install it. One young and strong person may be able to do it on their own but it's vastly easier with a second set of hands.

Does the HeatShield roof shade attach with suction cups? Do you think it would work in combination with EVglass? Something like that could be very handy for camping. I've got HeatShield knock-offs for all the windows.

HeatShield, in two sections, each with 6 small quarter-sized suction cups. It's probably the best of any sunshade because absolutely nothing gets through it's layers. It was barely warm to the touch during the hottest days.

Reactions: BitJam
Sorry but i don't agree. How can this not be an issue on a expensive new car! If the tint is not dark enough Tesla should fix that. Or the extra sunshade should come by default.
I have now to think about more cost right after getting the car. Its bad enough with the quality issues but people should not accept bad design choices from Tesla.
Wait, you are complaining about this and you don't have your car yet? You don't even know if it is a problem.