Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Glass roof and rear passengers / Kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did some googling and looking through this forum and didn’t find anything directly addressing this.

People with frequent rear passengers, especially kids in car seats, is the glass roof an issue from the perspective of Sun in their eyes / face?

I just can’t see how this wouldn’t be a problem, even with the tint you can see the sun and if you are a kid in a car seat that is angled up, it seems like it would be an issue a lot during the day.

I realize you can get an aftermarket sun shade but then it seems like if you have kids, your just gonna have the sun shade up all the time for a couple years.

Would love to hear from others with kids, thanks in advance!

Get aftermarket tint or a sunshade... Not really an issue
Sorry but i don't agree. How can this not be an issue on a expensive new car! If the tint is not dark enough Tesla should fix that. Or the extra sunshade should come by default.
I have now to think about more cost right after getting the car. Its bad enough with the quality issues but people should not accept bad design choices from Tesla.

Sorry but i don't agree. How can this not be an issue on a expensive new car! If the tint is not dark enough Tesla should fix that. Or the extra sunshade should come by default.
I have now to think about more cost right after getting the car. Its bad enough with the quality issues but people should not accept bad design choices from Tesla.
Dude...you're funny.
Have you ever complained about any other car windows not being tinted?
The answer to the rhetorical question is no.
Everyone just gets their windows tinted if they want more shade/less sun.

Dude...you're funny.
Have you ever complained about any other car windows not being tinted?
The answer to the rhetorical question is no.
Everyone just gets their windows tinted if they want more shade/less sun.
This is not about the "window" though! That is a different matter altogether!
To add a film over that huge roof cost allot a pretty dollar in Sweden. To me that is a design flaw to have it like that without the proper sunshade. It looks cool but its not practical.

To add a film over that huge roof cost allot a pretty dollar in Sweden. To me that is a design flaw to have it like that without the proper sunshade. It looks cool but its not practical.
You do have a choice - you didn’t have to buy this car. You could always choose a car that has a solid roof or retractable sun shade. Or, like others have suggested, just go buy one! Having purchased a £60,000 car, I shouldn’t think a £150 shade should cause you too much stress if this is such a big issue. Oh, and raise it with Tesla, apparently they do listen.

Wrong. ❌
👇

Win•dow
noun
1. an opening in the wall or roof of a building or vehicle that is fitted with glass or other transparent material in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out.

Last edited:
I did some googling and looking through this forum and didn’t find anything directly addressing this.

People with frequent rear passengers, especially kids in car seats, is the glass roof an issue from the perspective of Sun in their eyes / face?

I just can’t see how this wouldn’t be a problem, even with the tint you can see the sun and if you are a kid in a car seat that is angled up, it seems like it would be an issue a lot during the day.

I realize you can get an aftermarket sun shade but then it seems like if you have kids, your just gonna have the sun shade up all the time for a couple years.

Would love to hear from others with kids, thanks in advance!
had my car for about 10 months. Kids have never mentioned sun being in their eyes. They sit in rear. We have taken road trips from southern to Northern California , wide open highway no trees for shade.

No, it's not an issue. The roof blocks over 90% of the sunlight. Heat can be an issue (all of that blocked light turns to heat). I live in the high desert where the sun is intense. My roof can get too hot to touch. The SUMK Sunroof Sunshade is great! If heat coming through the roof is an issue for you then I highly recommend it. I currently use a product called EVglass from EVinsulate. it makes the roof double-paned which helps keep the car warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. It doesn't block any light but light isn't an issue. The issue with the roof is heat (either losing too much or gaining too much).

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
BitJam: I see you're in Silver City, NM, similar relentless sun like here in Fort Worth. I'm interested in the EVglass sunshade.
Could you be more specific about the heat differential between the OEM roof glass and the installed EVglass sunshade? Is the EVglass just warm to the touch, when it has been exposed to full sun?
I currently use the HeatShield shade, and it blocks virtually all of the heat, but...it's...ugly. I like the idea of the EVglass product, if it is a significant difference in temperature.
Thanks.

My 8 year old and whatever one of his friends is with us at any given time have never complained about the sun being in their eyes or feeling hot, we get up to nearly 100 degrees in the summer so while I don't think it's an invalid concern I do feel as if it was addressed in the planning stages and they figured it out with the tint/UV treatment.