Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Home Owner Associations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the first in my large condo facility to buy an EV, I requested authorization from the HOA to install entirely at my expense a NEMA 14-50 outlet, including a meter to record usage, at my allocated garage parking space. This led to ten weeks of intricate negotiations. The HOA committee was uninformed and defensive, insisted upon detailed approval of all aspects of electrical installation, my commitment that the outlet would be used only to charge one EV and that HOA approve the “charging equipment” to be attached (despite my explanation that only an electric cable to link to the Tesla was involved), and demanded written indemnification against fire, explosions, injury to bystanders and more (although parking space owners would be responsible for causing such disasters in any case). I was obliged to find legal counsel (luckily a smart daughter-in-law!).

Since my Model S was to be delivered in a few days and charging ability was essential, I signed a three-page contract with the HOA, who insisted upon their electrical contractor doing the work and charging me, thus eliminating competitive bids.

By bad luck my parking space is 300 feet from the electric panel and the job cost $6,200 (in the absence of any plan to provide for charging the inevitable future numbers of EVs in the building).

MORAL: if you are the pathfinder (guinea pig?) in your condo or cooperative allow plenty of time to obtain approval for a charging facility, and try hard to educate your HOA and persuade them to consult with other more experienced building managers—as well as Tesla experts—and to plan for the EV world that is coming.

You should check with your state, county, or city if there is any plan for promoting EV installations.

The following article might be useful to review:

STATE EFFORTS TO PROMOTE HYBRID AND ELECTRIC VEHICLES

Maryland

EVSE Rebate: Between July 1, 2017, and June 30, 2020, rebates range from $700 to $5,000,
for 4-0 percent of the costs of acquiring and installing qualified EVSE .
Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) requires that applicants demonstrate compliance with state,
local, and/or federal law that applies to the installation or operation of qualified EVSE .
Total funding for each fiscal year will not exceed $1.2 million.
This incentive was extended through 2020 on May 4, 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Wow, do they live under a rock or something? It's hard to believe after the last decade that so many people are still so uneducated about battery vehicles and all their benefits. Sounds like they were just trying to deter you.
It reminds me again how glad I am to not have to deal with an HOA. I pretty much walked outside with a shovel and started digging.

An elderly coworker of mine said today that her son recently told her there's no way a car doesn't use gasoline. Get out from under the rock, man!

An elderly coworker of mine said today that her son recently told her there's no way a car doesn't use gasoline. Get out from under the rock, man!

This is really surprising! You could offer to have a friendly educational session with both her and her son regarding 100% electric cars not just from Tesla, but other manufacturers such as Chevrolet (the Bolt) or BMW (the i3). You could take them for a drive in your Tesla too! :)

By bad luck my parking space is 300 feet from the electric panel and the job cost $6,200 (in the absence of any plan to provide for charging the inevitable future numbers of EVs in the building).

Dealing with commercial installations is never cheap. I just recently paid over $500 to run a ground wire 25 feet. In their defense, they never want some cheap electrician to come in and do a cheap job that creates problems and someone has to fix later.

It sucks, but at least you could get one. Over 3 years, that's only $6 per day, it may still be cheaper than gas.

When I first got my P85+ in 2014, I stopped at a rest area in Connecticut... this gentleman came over and was asking all kinds of questions... but he must have asked me 5 times "it doesn't use any gas?"... "really, no fuel?"... "there's no engine?" "no fuel tank?"... I'm not sure how many different ways you can ask the same question!!

I think he walked away believing me that there is no engine, fuel tank, or fuel, but I'm not 100% of that.

As the first in my large condo facility to buy an EV, I requested authorization from the HOA to install entirely at my expense a NEMA 14-50 outlet, including a meter to record usage, at my allocated garage parking space. This led to ten weeks of intricate negotiations. The HOA committee was uninformed and defensive, insisted upon detailed approval of all aspects of electrical installation, my commitment that the outlet would be used only to charge one EV and that HOA approve the “charging equipment” to be attached (despite my explanation that only an electric cable to link to the Tesla was involved), and demanded written indemnification against fire, explosions, injury to bystanders and more (although parking space owners would be responsible for causing such disasters in any case). I was obliged to find legal counsel (luckily a smart daughter-in-law!).

Since my Model S was to be delivered in a few days and charging ability was essential, I signed a three-page contract with the HOA, who insisted upon their electrical contractor doing the work and charging me, thus eliminating competitive bids.

MORAL: if you are the pathfinder (guinea pig?) in your condo or cooperative allow plenty of time to obtain approval for a charging facility, and try hard to educate your HOA and persuade them to consult with other more experienced building managers—as well as Tesla experts—and to plan for the EV world that is coming.

@Harropbill couldn't you have asked the HOA to swap parking spaces so at least you had a much shorter run to the electrical panel? Seems like an easy no cost way to save you a bunch of $$$.

Cause like you said, someone else may end up doing this again, sooner rather than later. If the EV charging spaces could be consolidated closer to the electrical panel, it will save everyone $$$ down the road.

RT (Current HOA Treasurer and former HOA President)

What a nightmare. Resistance to change wins the day.

A more forward looking association would have recognized that dedicated charging spots would be an attractive feature that would increase the demand (and hence price) for all the units. And would have been looking for the variety of rebates and incentives available for them to install chargers for little cost.

I have no problem arguing that associations that unreasonably block EV charging will be harming values in the long run.

NeverFollow gives good advice. In fact, I was able to include in the contract that Condo management would apply for a commercial category rebate from Maryland state gov and if successful pass proceeds to me. Don’t yet know results but am optimistic that a substantial portion of cost may be returned.