Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with maps navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had a few issues using the Tesla map for navigation. I searched for McDonald's and the map showed a list in order of closest to furthest. The closest one was claimed to be 4.5 miles, but when I selected it the actual distance was 15 miles! How could there be such a large difference in distance?

Another issue I had was when we got close to the McDonald's, we were on a highway and the map told us to get off the highway, go down a road for a half mile or so and do a u-turn and get back on the same highway! Of course the easiest route would have been to just stay on the highway and turn into the McDonald's parking lot. I took the crazy route because I thought maybe there was some back entrance to the McDonald's, but no it was just a wild detour off the highway for no reason.

Not sure how they get their nav data, but maybe google maps. I found it interesting that last year it could navigate directly to my brother’s home in Ohio. This year however, it only gets you close. When I map this same route on google maps I get the same current Tesla result, with the addition of a dotted line showing the path to take through a ravine to get to his home. Last year it took me right to and up his driveway.

I've had a few issues using the Tesla map for navigation. I searched for McDonald's and the map showed a list in order of closest to furthest. The closest one was claimed to be 4.5 miles, but when I selected it the actual distance was 15 miles! How could there be such a large difference in distance?

Another issue I had was when we got close to the McDonald's, we were on a highway and the map told us to get off the highway, go down a road for a half mile or so and do a u-turn and get back on the same highway! Of course the easiest route would have been to just stay on the highway and turn into the McDonald's parking lot. I took the crazy route because I thought maybe there was some back entrance to the McDonald's, but no it was just a wild detour off the highway for no reason.
Sounds like the experiences I've had with other GPS navigation units ( Garmin ETC )

If the navigation data does not include information on available left hand outs along highways with medians, then you often see instructions to do U-turns at the closest intersection and backtrack to the destination.

The initial list you get is distances "as the bird flies", for lack of the proper english expression. They are straight line distances. The navigation system does NOT plot a driving path for each, that would take too much time. Once you choose one, you will get a more precise distance that follows roads. Most GPS systems will do that.
Ok, that makes sense.

The nav doesn’t make sense sometimes. It gives me this every day on my way to work 🥴

74B3A7F9-790C-4903-A761-70C3BF8EF4CD.jpeg

I was simply saying that because of configuration, the Tesla navigation could be coaxed into taking a different route. I think I have it to 5 minutes myself. I initially had it set to 1 minute and it was always trying to route me somewhere weird to skip highway portions that were a tiny bit slower.
There might be other settings that influence the decision, I'm just not sure.

Reactions: HektikBob
Did you guys try to plot the same route in Google maps? I wonder if it makes the same errors. If yes, you could report issue to Google. Tesla is not in the map business, as far as I know. They are using Google maps data.
Actually Tesla has put itself in the mapping business, probably by subcontracting it, but they are in the business as they use it for the self driving features to work. They don’t work as they should, especially in more rural areas due to these errors. For Tesla to be serious about FSD, they need to have a way to report and correct these mapping errors or none of it will ever be useful everywhere. I have gone around and around with their “service” people, who’s main motivation is to get you off the problem list, and not really solve the problems, so Tesla gives no options for fixing this stuff. With no options, they take the responsibility. Just wish they were responsible….but its all beta, so when the wheels fall of, you agreed to accept that.

Not sure how they get their nav data, but maybe google maps. I found it interesting that last year it could navigate directly to my brother’s home in Ohio. This year however, it only gets you close. When I map this same route on google maps I get the same current Tesla result, with the addition of a dotted line showing the path to take through a ravine to get to his home. Last year it took me right to and up his driveway.
If Google Maps puts the marker pin in the wrong spot, you can "Suggest an edit" to fix that.