Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Model X - can anyone help further up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. I purchased a Model S in Hong Kong over the past summer and was - and still am - delighted with it. My S has been perfect thus far. With that in mind, I decided to order a Model X for my second home in Vancouver.
P90D Ludicrous, produced in July, VIN 10xxx. I would not say it is an early vehicle, and I did not expect the number of issues I have had with it.

It has been in service for 60 days now since delivery in September. Tesla has had the vehicle for the same amount of time I have had it at this point. Fixes include a replacement dashboard, replacement tailgate, replacement spoiler assembly, realigning both bumpers and FWD (..twice), replacement fog lights, replacement charger assembly, and so on.
I had to drive around for almost a week without functioning front turn signals - until I escalated the issue to the service manager, I was told to simply continue driving my unsafe vehicle until the parts came in.

Every issue was documented and listed to service. Service and service manager has been helpful and are doing their best to get my vehicle fixed - allegedly will be done by end of next week, but that has been the story for each and every of the past four weeks now. Think it is still at the bodyshop. At this point, I think more of my X has been built in Canada than California... haha

The NW US/Western Canada regional manager has been utterly unhelpful at resolving the situation, simply saying service will take care of the issues and that Tesla will not be replacing my vehicle or assisting with trade in. I have even offered to pay the difference and whatever fee they'd like to charge for the 2500 miles on my vehicle to no avail - was simply directed to sales and told to go through the trade in process there like anyone else would.
To make matters even more confusing, when I asked her to help with getting me a value on my vehicle, it took almost 3 weeks and constant prodding before anyone got back to me with a number. I have never before had so much difficulty trying to give a company more of my money...

Unfortunately, we do not have lemon laws in British Columbia. To be clear, I love the Tesla lifestyle, and I do not want to end up with anything other than another Model S or X, despite everything - but I am not willing to take a 20% depreciation hit just to get out of my defective vehicle.

After spending upwards of CDN$200k, I honestly do not feel valued as a customer. Am I being unreasonable in asking Tesla to assist with a buy-back/trade in? The regional manager has made it clear she will not be helping further with seeking a replacement vehicle for me. If anyone could assist with contacts further up in corporate, that would be very helpful.

Apologies for the long post and thank you all for any input.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
I see no reason why you can't buy a new P100DL and trade-in your existing one. Tell them you want AP2.0 and the bigger battery. Once you have a trade-in quote, you can decide if it's worth it. Or sell it privately.

Of course I can trade it in for a new car - simply doesn't seem fair for me to take a $40k hit for wanting a car without issues. If I were simply antsy for the next newest thing, I would happily swallow the depreciation as I have done many times in the past. It isn't so much the money that is the issue as much as it is the principle.

I think it should be fair that you can trade in what you got with a comparable one (used, same mileage).

I don't think you can trade-in your used one for a new one. That's the reality of buying a car anywhere... Fair or not.

I think it should be fair that you can trade in what you got with a comparable one (used, same mileage).

I don't think you can trade-in your used one for a new one. That's the reality of buying a car anywhere... Fair or not.

Fair response - just trying to gauge to see what is reasonable or not in my situation (getting a lemon of a car). Others have succeeded in getting Tesla to do a buy-back in situations similar to mine.

I think Tesla will fix this car to your liking. The problem is, it will probably take them longer than it should due to this being a new vehicle, parts being scarce and expertise still needs to improve. If you can be patient, it will all work out. If you need/want this fixed now, then you may have to be creative.

Did you get a "due bill" during delivery inspection? If anything you added to that list of items to be fixed is not fixed after all this time in service, then perhaps you have the contract to use in a request for replacement. It sounds like you should find someone at Tesla corporate and bypass your regional chain. Worst case, try twitter to Elon. These isolated incidents are bad for Tesla, but I suspect they represent a few bad employees rather than the company as a whole.

Did you get a "due bill" during delivery inspection? If anything you added to that list of items to be fixed is not fixed after all this time in service, then perhaps you have the contract to use in a request for replacement. It sounds like you should find someone at Tesla corporate and bypass your regional chain. Worst case, try twitter to Elon. These isolated incidents are bad for Tesla, but I suspect they represent a few bad employees rather than the company as a whole.

My DS was off the day I took delivery and someone else assisted with delivery. I noted the majority of these fit and finish issues upon delivery, but was not given a due bill - was simply told it would be relayed to my actual DS. The lengthy service bill does note that these issues were issues noted upon delivery.

I will be looking into contacting corporate, absolutely - just wanted to see if anyone had anyone they could put me in touch in - perhaps those several other owners with issues similar to mine who have succeeded in getting a replacement vehicles?

I'm in Vancouver too, and my car will be going into production soon. Am getting pretty spooked now - should I take delivery?

I do think they have brought production quality up to where it should've been months ago by now. I have seen a friend's October build X and would be happy to own that car. I am confident if I were to order a new car today I would be happy with its quality - I don't think you have much to worry about with a current production car.

Car was supposed to be done today. Went to pick it up: both bumpers are still misaligned, damage on the trunk leading edge are still there (leading me to believe it wasn't repainted or replaced as was alluded to), and the rear wheel is now scraped as is the rear bumper cover. Very confused how such a car could be presented to a customer who has been waiting 2+ months..

Car was supposed to be done today. Went to pick it up: both bumpers are still misaligned, damage on the trunk leading edge are still there (leading me to believe it wasn't repainted or replaced as was alluded to), and the rear wheel is now scraped as is the rear bumper cover. Very confused how such a car could be presented to a customer who has been waiting 2+ months..
Wow this is just crazy to see how bad your car is. I would definitely find some ways to exchange for another one if money is not the issue (Does it have lemon law in Vancouver?). My X got delayed for over a month and I am already worried about all the potential issues that caused the delay. I took delivery at the end of December and found some minor issues (paint and FWD alignment) and hopefully that's all the problems for my X. Hope you can get this resolved asap.

One side question: Does the Tesla cars in HK have the full autopilot features? I am from HK as well and curious about it.

Reactions: yamanote
Tesla service needs to be revamped, when I spend 6 figures on a car I expect perfection. I like Tesla and I Iove my X but just getting my local SC to pick up the phone takes several attempts. And I never got a call back to any of the VM's I left.

A lot of us don't have the time to repeatedly go to the SC to fix all of our issues. I just wish someone would take our cars and fix it all for good.

Your experience is not representative of typical Tesla ownership and is definitely unacceptable. You should begin with writing to [email protected] and request them for escalation to Service Corporate leadership. Cc your DS, local service manager and regional service manager. Be firm in your complaint, state facts with dates and ask for definitive answers.

Wow this is just crazy to see how bad your car is. I would definitely find some ways to exchange for another one if money is not the issue (Does it have lemon law in Vancouver?). My X got delayed for over a month and I am already worried about all the potential issues that caused the delay. I took delivery at the end of December and found some minor issues (paint and FWD alignment) and hopefully that's all the problems for my X. Hope you can get this resolved asap.

One side question: Does the Tesla cars in HK have the full autopilot features? I am from HK as well and curious about it.

No lemon law in BC. If this were California I think it would've been bought back by now.

HK has full autopilot functionality apart from Autosteer, which is restricted to certain divided roads (primarily highways and the cross-harbour tunnels). TACC and so on are fully functional.

Tesla service needs to be revamped, when I spend 6 figures on a car I expect perfection. I like Tesla and I Iove my X but just getting my local SC to pick up the phone takes several attempts. And I never got a call back to any of the VM's I left.

A lot of us don't have the time to repeatedly go to the SC to fix all of our issues. I just wish someone would take our cars and fix it all for good.

To be fair, my car hasn't been going back to the SC repeatedly - it hasn't even come back from its November visit yet LOL

No one should ever go through what you have experienced.

Certainly hope nobody else will have to.. it seems if I were in California, a buy-back would've been done by now based on several other owners' reports.

Your experience is not representative of typical Tesla ownership and is definitely unacceptable. You should begin with writing to [email protected] and request them for escalation to Service Corporate leadership. Cc your DS, local service manager and regional service manager. Be firm in your complaint, state facts with dates and ask for definitive answers.

Thank you. I have sent an email and will report back.

Contacted ServiceHelpNA and was told to get in touch with regional manager to try to work things out - who had previously already said she would not be doing anything for me beyond repairing my vehicle. (or at this rate, simply attempting to repair, it seems)

Is anyone aware of any further points of contact I can use to escalate this issue further?

Contacted ServiceHelpNA and was told to get in touch with regional manager to try to work things out - who had previously already said she would not be doing anything for me beyond repairing my vehicle. (or at this rate, simply attempting to repair, it seems)

Is anyone aware of any further points of contact I can use to escalate this issue further?
Try taking it to Twitter.. Public attention to your issue cant make any thing worse.

• Informative
Final offer from Tesla was an extra $7200 in trade in value (on top of their initial lowball offer) to cover the 2 months of payments where the car was in service. With this trade in bonus, it means my 4 months of ownership was $35k.

They are asking I pay an additional $20k out of pocket to cover the negative equity as well as new downpayment on another Tesla.

Ridiculous. I am unlikely to continue being a Tesla owner at this point. This is a company that does not stand behind its products.

To add insult to injury, I was told yesterday (Friday) my car would be ready. Went to pick it up - not ready, come back on Saturday. Went to pick it up today (Sat) - 'come back on Monday'.