Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Model Y wireless phone charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently got my MY. I have iPhone 11 Pro Max with only a bumper case on the phone (completely open back). I haven't been able to get the phone to charge in any position. I have AirPods as well. If I place them on the right-hand side of charger, they will start charging (sometimes). Do I have a faulty charger?

Your Wireless charger and Phone Case is fine:

You need to insert the phone at a 45 degree angle to jam it in, or just buy the Spacer from Jeda so that the phone can slide inside the grove. I got the spacer so the phone slide into the holder and it lowers the phone down 1/4 inch so it now charges fine.

Fred

Last edited:
Reactions: laservet
2C0C3D99-8DF5-4819-9CA2-79E3273464AC.jpeg

Jeda Products | Tesla Model 3 and Model Y Spacer for Wired Charging

You need to insert the phone at a 45 degree angle to jam it in, or just buy the Spacer from Jeda so that the phone can slide inside the grove. I got the spacer so the phone slide into the holder and it lowers the phone down 1/4 inch so it now charges fine.

Fred
Thanks! Thought mine was fitting properly but I guess not.

Fred
Do you mind to post a picture of the orientation that works? I keep trying this and getting nothing.

I have a Distilunion case that has a 'wallet' on the back. Normally I've had two cards in there (ID and one credit card) but now I have to carry an extra Tesla key as well, so I have three cards. My phone still charges on all my desktop chargers, but not on the Tesla charger, perhaps because it won't fit under that lip, perhaps because it's not powerful enough. For $15 it's hard to think that extender/spacer isn't worth a shot to see if it works...as it's much cheaper than replacing the whole charging unit for the Jeda one. Is the Tesla wireless pad powerful enough for three cards in a leather case? (as my desktop chargers are)

I have a Distilunion case that has a 'wallet' on the back. Normally I've had two cards in there (ID and one credit card) but now I have to carry an extra Tesla key as well, so I have three cards. My phone still charges on all my desktop chargers, but not on the Tesla charger, perhaps because it won't fit under that lip, perhaps because it's not powerful enough. For $15 it's hard to think that extender/spacer isn't worth a shot to see if it works...as it's much cheaper than replacing the whole charging unit for the Jeda one. Is the Tesla wireless pad powerful enough for three cards in a leather case? (as my desktop chargers are)
I’m using a thick Rokform case and I added 1 piece of cardboard behind it, it wouldn’t charge. This spacer can hold 2 pieces of cardboard and the case, and it fit nicely. Wont charge with a thicker case or the signal isn’t strong enough.

It will charge fine with the Case alone and not the cardboard behind it.

Fred

Last edited:
I’m using a thick Rokform case and I added 1 piece of cardboard behind it, it wouldn’t charge. This spacer can hold 2 pieces of cardboard and the case, and it fit nicely. Wont charge with a thicker case or the signal isn’t strong enough.

It will charge fine with the Case alone and not the cardboard behind it.

Fred
So the signal is pretty weak also? All my cheap Chinese Amazon desktop chargers work fine with all 3 cards in the back...

Correct, my IPhone XS Max with Rokform case and 1 piece of cardboard wouldn’t charge.

Fred
This is what I mean by getting the phone & case under that lip at a 45 degree angle, then lay it down.

View attachment 594282
Thanks for doing this. I took the bumper off and confirmed it worked. That’s one damn weak charger. I guess I’m replacing it. That’s crazy. The bumper case leaves the back wide open just lifts it off the pad 1/4” or less. Never had an issue with any other $8 wireless charger.

This is what I mean by getting the phone & case under that lip at a 45 degree angle, then lay it down.

View attachment 594282
@Wennfred is this an issue due to the size of the pro max itself? Should I be expecting a similar issue if I get the 12 pro max? From what I am understanding is your current 11 pro max fits in properly, but the induction charging may be a bit "high" up as intended. So you removed the bumper to allow your phone to sit lower down and it now charges?

@Wennfred is this an issue due to the size of the pro max itself? Should I be expecting a similar issue if I get the 12 pro max? From what I am understanding is your current 11 pro max fits in properly, but the induction charging may be a bit "high" up as intended. So you removed the bumper to allow your phone to sit lower down and it now charges?
No, this is an issue with all phones as the Tesla wireless charger has a small lip. It’s the dumbest design ever. Order the Jada spacer and be done with it.

So I replaced the bumper with the Jeda spacer so that the phone can slide inside the bumper as it’s suppose too.

Fred

Just a FYI, my Model Y came with a bumper/lip that was teeny tiny. When the SC looked at it, they were shocked. My phone was constantly sliding off of the wireless pad. I've seen, now, three different sizes. One was as small as mine, then a small lip, and then a REALLY big one, all on different MYs