Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Model Y wireless phone charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
This charger seems to be weak and I may have to replace it with a Taptes Charger. The Taptes Charger works well in the Model 3 and my phones.

Currently using a IPhone 10 XS Max with the Rokform case without the magnets. Doesn’t want to charge unless I remove the case cover.

Anyone else have these same issues, let me know if Tesla had to replace some of these.

Thanks

Fred

Reactions: tracykarin
Spoke with the Tesla Moblie tech today as he was installing my Homelink, he said that the Tesla Wireless Charger was weak, you have to remove the phone case for it to charge, I will buy another Testap.

Fred

Spoke with the Tesla Moblie tech today as he was installing my Homelink, he said that the Tesla Wireless Charger was weak, you have to remove the phone case for it to charge, I will buy another Testap.

Fred
That's not true, i used AMPme app for android and the charging speed is fine for my Pixel 4. It's charging at 10 W same as my official Google Pixel wireless charger. Here is a video that he tested the charging of the Y.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Gt1948 and benh57
I didn’t say anything about it’s speed, it won’t charge with a phone case like Rokform, so having to remove the phone from its case doesn’t do me any good, throws this POS out the window.

Fred
I see. Sorry I misread it. yeah, i do hear people having issue with cases. i guess i don't have that issue due to not using a thick case. Good luck with the Taptes. I do like that you can put the phone landscape with it.

Posted this a couple other times. It's not the case, but the charging rings don't align up. If you remove the lower lip on the charging pad by raising it up and sliding it towards the drivers side, you can see that the phone will charge if it sits lower on the pad. Try that first and if so, companies like Jedda and others sell a piece that gives more clearance for larger cases.

Posted this a couple other times. It's not the case, but the charging rings don't align up. If you remove the lower lip on the charging pad by raising it up and sliding it towards the drivers side, you can see that the phone will charge if it sits lower on the pad. Try that first and if so, companies like Jedda and others sell a piece that gives more clearance for larger cases.
Awesome tip Thanks! Will give that a try when I get the Y back from the PPF shop, probably Friday. Thanks again.

Fred

Same issue I have with my XS Max the stock one doesn't let it sit down far enough when I take the case if it lines up like mentioned. I orderd a Jeda pad still waiting on it and my hub suppose to be this month. My daughter with otterbox case which is thicker than mine charges fine hers is a non Max so lines up better. I have a wire running to the 12v outlet like its 2010.

Reactions: wlrd08

Do you have a link to that piece/bottom lid replacement?
I tried your method and it does holding charge.

I was able to make the Rokform case work with the IPhone XS Max, you need to jam or insert the phone at a 45 degree angle first and wedge into the lip, then lay it down. Holds the phone tightly and it charges ok. The lip is a bit too short but now it works.

Fred