Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with new M3 - no prem connectivity/autopilot almost crashed me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just got my M3 (1 day old now) and my premium did say connected and trial valid til 10/25, but when I left for work this morning and tried to enter my office address, it errors out saying no connectivity, try again or cancel, unable to save or enter address. I reset the display by holding down the two buttons, reset and still no connectivity, no traffic either. I was able to get home with navigation from dealership but had no traffic. I did drive to work and try again there to enter work address and it fails, saying no connectivity. I have many bars on LTE.

Other issue I had driving to work today on Autopilot and had no cars around me except for maybe 1000' ahead and the car slammed on the breaks like it saw something on the road (530am so it was dark) and if the car behind me was too close, we would have triggered an accident. After that scary moment, I left the car on cruise instead. Thoughts? I did not see anything like a tire or animal on the freeway, it was clear sailing.

Welcome to TMC. on point one, if you are inside your garage the connectivity may not work if you do not get good signal in there. This can also happen if you park outside but are not someplace with decent connectivity to ATT. This can also happen if the car has not fully turned on the cellular data yet

So, since this is day 1 for you, by dat 2-3 you will figure out which one of those it is, and be able to adjust your morning routine at home accordingly (pull out of garage first / deal with it till you get on the road and the car gets good signal / wait a little till the car has connectivity).

For point #2, since you ask for "thoughts?", you can try searching TMC for the term "phantom braking" or "phantom brake". Plenty of people have experienced the same.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
On issue #1, this is a problem that comes and goes for me, depending on which software rev I'm at. Currently it is in a "broken" state for me. I will say that it is "fixed" more often than "broken", but just happens to be "broken" now. The way it exhibits itself for me is that in my garage I get WiFi, but it's relatively weak. So sometimes when I get into my car, I get the No Connectivity message, even though there is plenty of LTE signal. As @jjrandorin said, the car had not yet completely "switched over" to LTE, and it was not getting good connectivity from my WiFi. It seems to only be using one or the other, even if the one it was using was the weak WiFi signal.

A very similar thing happened to me at the office the other day. I actually get pretty good WiFi from my office guest network even when the car is parked outside (and also in very good LTE range), so I connect my car to that guest network. But I had temporarily disabled the guest network while doing some maintenance on our server rack, and even though the network had come back up by the time I went out to my car, I still go the No Connectivity message and it wasn't until I was pretty far down the road where it finally connected back to LTE. I suspect that in this case it had "remembered" what there was no connectivity at some point on the WiFi network and didn't bother re-checking it.

Like I said, with most software revs it seems better about switching over to LTE if it can't get a good WiFi connection. This particular rev seems to have broken it though.

Reactions: jjrandorin