Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with new Model 3 and service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Not sure if anyone is experiencing any similar issues. I have two Teslas, a Model s and a recently purchased model 3 which I am contemplating returning. I am having a number of issues I am very disappointed with the service and not sure of the best way forward.

I have owned a Model S since late 2017 and have been extremely happy, on the whole, barring the odd minor issues, such as airbag fault light and cabin heater not working which was resolved efficiently and promptly. On all occasions I was provided a loan car which included a Model x and on one occasion a £90k Jaguar. Overall an excellent service.

However recently I have noticed that the service has completely changed and is almost non-existent When I reported an intermittent problem with my airbag I was told to go to the self-service and log my own issue. Earliest date was 3 weeks, no way to find out if I can get a loan car,

I picked up my new Model 3 performance last week and all seemed to be OK. I was not impressed with the build i.e. the bonnet not lining up, some of the plastic /rubber trims not lining up but was willing to accept (not something I would have done for my previous cars)

I found one paint defect which I was told would need to be logged via the app

However, after taking car home I have since found a number of issues.

1. Parking sensors not working front and back, no audio warning.

2. Auto pilot lane change not working, warning notice indicated this was due to sensors not working

3. Internal heater not working, only works when set to High. Blows cold air even when set to 27.5 degrees also cant see temp on the screen which could be related

4. Tire warning light comes on for all four tires, TPMS indicates low pressure. I checked and inflated the tyres twice, once to the recommended pressure 42PSI and again to 44Psi. warning light goes off but after a short run comes back on despite resetting it on the screen

Apparently according to the RAC website the TPSM light is a MOT fail (which would mean it is not roadworthy?) , not sure if this invalidates my insurance if I continue driving

5. Lumber support button not working on the driver’s side (noticed yesterday)

I went back to the dealership the next day informed them of the issues. They asked one of the engineers to look but he was not able to fix the sensor issue but reset the TPMS. He asked me to update the service call I had raised earlier. (TPSM light came back on my way home again but it was too late to go back)
The earliest service date is in 4 weeks

I went back to the dealership and I was told my only option was to wait 4 weeks and if it required parts I would have to wait and the heater would need to be ordered, I am guessing possibly another few weeks which puts me in winter before it is fixed

I am now contemplating returning the Model 3 and getting my money back, something I never thought I would do. Having spent £120k on the two cars (and considering my previous car was around £20k) it is a lot of investment

At this stage I am not sure of my rights. I believe I have 2 day remaining of the 7 day return policy. Also having read the consumer rights details I believe you can return a car in 30 days if it has faults. But if I have to wait almost 30 days for it to be looked at, and more for parts then would I be out of time

I love the way the car drives and would like to give Tesla the opportunity to fix the issues, but I can’t wait weeks and at this stage I am not instilled with any confidence they will be fixed satisfactorily

Any advice would be welcome

I would return the car and see if they would find you another one. In the US there is a clause that says you cant buy the same trim level car again if you return a car, but I am sure they have some wiggle room in that. Its likely that way to prevent people from just returning cars for small issues to get another one. Sensor etc issues sound like electrical issues. If that list of issues you point to are accurate (no reason to think it isnt) I would take it back, let them know you love the brand, you have a model S, but do not have confidence in that particular car so want to return it and get the same trim / options in another car.

Tell them that because the appointment to fix it is 4 weeks out and they have already looked at it, you dont have confidence they can fix that one. thats what I would do.

Thanks, I am going back today as it is on my way home. They didn't offer that to me last time and I didn't ask because I assumed all cars that were arriving were to fill back orders. I wouldn't have expected that they would ship any more than the required . But I will put it to them. I'll be happy if I can get a decent working car. I am going to assume the support issues are temporary till they get over all the back orders. Thanks for your comments

The support issues you are experiencing have been this way since the Model 3 ramp up. They went from being a very small boutique car manufacturer to a much larger company without ramping up the service side of the business. Don’t expect it to get better any time soon.

It sounds like you got a lemon. It’s a major hassle to return it and they will likely take 60 days to give you your money back. They may hold the line on refusing to let you order another car in the same trim level. I’m not sure how rigid that policy is. But with that many issues on a brand new car you will be chasing those defects for months trying to get everything fixed. That is not the experience you were looking for.

Reactions: Phlier
Its a real shame. Tesla doesn't do ADs so it depends on word of mouth. Over the past two years i have had a lot of interest from friends contemplating going electric and my response has always been positive. I am not sure i would recommend them right now at least not till they iron out the issues.
Added to that I got a fine for leaving my car on the supercharger on the day I collected the Model 3. my fault, but still annoying.
I guess the company is changing

Tesla is ramping up volume. They used to be kind of boutique with high priced premium cars and bespoke service.

Now they have significantly reduced the price of their cars, and are rolling out increasing volumes to fulfil the demand.

They still have the same goal, of weaning the Earth off pollution producing gassers and on to the electric drive that does not pollute our cities.

They are having teething pains, and with more volume comes more complaints.

It' s great that they will still allow customers, unsatisfied with their cars, to return them for another if requested.

Problem is that is often a hassle to do so.

So, I got a text from service to bring the car in and they would look at the issues. I guess physically going to the service centre twice and complaining has worked plus possibly my comments to them that I couldn't accept the car in its present condition and would consider returning it may have had something to do with it also.
This was only possible as the service centre is on my way home, not sure how other people who can't get to a service centre are coping. Actually talking to someone makes a deference.
I dropped the car in last night, will see if they manage to fix all the issues.

I think it is the combination of the two which is the the big problem for Tesla or any car manufacture. If you buy a car that has faults( that are fixable) and the service is excellent, prompt and can fix the issues quickly, then it is an inconvenience but liveable. If the product is well made and has only very minor issues then a poor service is liveable as you can wait for it to be fixed. But a combination of poor build quality and poor after care service is a recipe for disaster. Hope they fix one or both. Preferably the service as I won't be buying a new car for a while.

Hi

Not sure if anyone is experiencing any similar issues. I have two Teslas, a Model s and a recently purchased model 3 which I am contemplating returning. I am having a number of issues I am very disappointed with the service and not sure of the best way forward.

I have owned a Model S since late 2017 and have been extremely happy, on the whole, barring the odd minor issues, such as airbag fault light and cabin heater not working which was resolved efficiently and promptly. On all occasions I was provided a loan car which included a Model x and on one occasion a £90k Jaguar. Overall an excellent service.

However recently I have noticed that the service has completely changed and is almost non-existent When I reported an intermittent problem with my airbag I was told to go to the self-service and log my own issue. Earliest date was 3 weeks, no way to find out if I can get a loan car,

I picked up my new Model 3 performance last week and all seemed to be OK. I was not impressed with the build i.e. the bonnet not lining up, some of the plastic /rubber trims not lining up but was willing to accept (not something I would have done for my previous cars)

I found one paint defect which I was told would need to be logged via the app

However, after taking car home I have since found a number of issues.

1. Parking sensors not working front and back, no audio warning.

2. Auto pilot lane change not working, warning notice indicated this was due to sensors not working

3. Internal heater not working, only works when set to High. Blows cold air even when set to 27.5 degrees also cant see temp on the screen which could be related

4. Tire warning light comes on for all four tires, TPMS indicates low pressure. I checked and inflated the tyres twice, once to the recommended pressure 42PSI and again to 44Psi. warning light goes off but after a short run comes back on despite resetting it on the screen

Apparently according to the RAC website the TPSM light is a MOT fail (which would mean it is not roadworthy?) , not sure if this invalidates my insurance if I continue driving

5. Lumber support button not working on the driver’s side (noticed yesterday)

I went back to the dealership the next day informed them of the issues. They asked one of the engineers to look but he was not able to fix the sensor issue but reset the TPMS. He asked me to update the service call I had raised earlier. (TPSM light came back on my way home again but it was too late to go back)
The earliest service date is in 4 weeks

I went back to the dealership and I was told my only option was to wait 4 weeks and if it required parts I would have to wait and the heater would need to be ordered, I am guessing possibly another few weeks which puts me in winter before it is fixed

I am now contemplating returning the Model 3 and getting my money back, something I never thought I would do. Having spent £120k on the two cars (and considering my previous car was around £20k) it is a lot of investment

At this stage I am not sure of my rights. I believe I have 2 day remaining of the 7 day return policy. Also having read the consumer rights details I believe you can return a car in 30 days if it has faults. But if I have to wait almost 30 days for it to be looked at, and more for parts then would I be out of time

I love the way the car drives and would like to give Tesla the opportunity to fix the issues, but I can’t wait weeks and at this stage I am not instilled with any confidence they will be fixed satisfactorily

Any advice would be welcome

Hard to believe. Please return the car.

so, amazing, all the issues have been fixed :)
the tyre sensors are not reporting any fault, the Parking sensors are now working
the temperature is indicating on the screen and i can control the heater
and the lumber support is also fixed.
I was told all these issues were due to wiring

Now i just have to get the cosmetic elements fixed. I do wonder who does the quality checks
examples below,
but i can wait for the service booking which i raised which is in late October
in the mean time i will enjoy driving the car which is fantastic

Logo not lined up properly o_O

Tesla logo.JPG

Gap between bonnet sides
Tesla Bonnet.jpg

Plastic trim not sitting flush to the side
Tesla trim.jpg

Thank you for reporting back :)
Also thank you for showing us some of the appearance faults - which I hope could be fixed quite quickly and easily.

- Crooked badge is ridiculous - template must have slipped and not been noticed
- Panel gaps at edges of front lid seem easily fixed
- Plastic trims are potentially a bigger problem if these are secured by the windscreen. This seems the most difficult to remedy.

Glad the paintwork is otherwise good because paint problems are time-consuming to remedy.

-Alex

Given the conditions of the panels and paint, I am surprised your took delivery in the first place. I would have not accepted the car in the first place.

You are correct but it is quite an occasion when you pick up a new car. This is my wife's car so she was very exited to pick it up.
Its our second brand new car ever, the Model S was the first and the S was excellent no issues so i didn't expect any issues with the Model 3.
Its only when I took it home when I noticed the sensors weren't working and then the other items.
I have been busy and still haven't had a chance to thoroughly check all areas of the car, will do soon.

Last edited:
Not quite as extensive as your list but I had a few issues while / after taking delivery of my Model 3 in August as well. I accepted the car as I could live with the minor imperfections or had confidence they would be fixed.

They were:

- Spot Paint Issue. Dirt or something under the coat. Friend of mine who took delivery in Sept also had this issue
- Driver side lumber support didn't function
- Minor gap on trim / panels.

Paint / Gap are IOUs, and they fixed the driver side lumber support in a day. Figure the 4 year warranty will give me peace of mind during that stretch if anything pops up, but after driving the vehicle for 2,000 miles, I'm a little skeptical on the build quality compared to my older i3 that I had for 35k miles.

Granted BMW has a tendency to over-engineering their vehicles which causes issues in and of itself but I felt the actual build quality of the i3 was superior. Doesn't mean the i3 was a more reliable or better vehicle as the Model 3 is quite a bit more fun to drive.

It's first-hand reports like this that keeps me on the fence. I purposely delayed my retirement so I could buy this expensive car and use some of my work income to pay it off in 6 months vs using savings. It's going on 9 months now and it appears QC is still lacking. To get the vegan steering wheel I need to order a new vehicle, but my local Tesla Store has 14 in stock but they only have leather, but the advantage is I can physically see the cars. Decisions Decisions