Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with phone key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I'm experiencing different issues with my phone key..
1- doesn't always recognize the phone / unlock on arrival. Have to open the phone, sometimes works, sometimes have to open the app and unlock manually.
2- Locks automatically as soon as i get out the car, not even having time to plug it in, or brush the snow off, despite me staying close. Then have to re-unlock and go through the issues at #1..

Obviously these are minor annoyances, but that become very frustrating in -30 weather, when wearing a mask, phone won't face recognize, etc etc...

I know i can turn off the walk away lock at home, but this doesn't help me with other locations..

There must be a way to keep the car unlocked when i'm still standing right next to it ?
TIA !

Is sentry on/off when this happened? I recently switched the settings on my car to disable sentry when at home, so that it would go to sleep... That's when I started having issues of sometimes the car not unlocking when I walk up to it, or most typically the charger not unlocking when I press the button... Until I open the app... But I noticed that 100% of the time when this happens, my car is sleeping, becuase when the car does finally unlock when I open the app, I can hear the HV relays clunking. I have never had this issue anywhere else... (and everywhere else sentry is on, so the car never goes to sleep)

If you are using Android, turn off "Adaptive Connectivity" Setting-->Network-->Adaptive Connectivity. That fixed it for me. I started having trouble a couple months ago. Initially it would unlock, but not start car. I had to wave the phone near the cup holders. Then it stopped even unlocking. A few people have also suggested toggling Airplane mode of and on.

I don't know when it started, but apparently I don't need to unlock my Android phone anymore to tap my phone to the B-pillar to lock unlock... Simply turn the phone on and tap... So quick now...
Cool, I guess... but you shouldn't even have to do that. If "phone as a key" is properly set up, you shouldn't have to interact with your phone at all. The car should unlock as soon as you press in the handle (as long as the phone is on your person).

Cool, I guess... but you shouldn't even have to do that. If "phone as a key" is properly set up, you shouldn't have to interact with your phone at all. The car should unlock as soon as you press in the handle (as long as the phone is on your person).
I don't tap my phone to unlock. I use it to lock, since I find the walk away lock to be too slow and/or inconsistent. Altho if the wife is in the car, and she locked the car from the display inside the car, then I tap my phone to unlock, because if you lock the car from the display, proximity unlock is disabled.