Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with T5 Samsung portable SSD device

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying unsuccessfully, to format, create TeslaCam folder and test recording/playback.
I've tried a couple different ways to format to FAT32. It will appear to be successful, I'll check properties in Windows File Explorer and it will appear to be successful. Then I create the TeslaCam folder, safely eject the device and then plug it into my X (into the left front seat USB port).
I walk away from the car, come back in a few minutes and sentry mode displays as recording.
Then I remove the SSD, plug it into my laptop and the TeslaCam folder no longer shows in File Explorer and the Properties indicates the format is FAT, not FAT32.
One other thing - although I have seen the camera icon display a couple times, it mostly is nonexistent on my screen.
Any ideas if I am missing a step, doing something wrong or possibly have a faulty SSD? It's making no sense to me.

My Samsung SSD stopped working on my MCU1 after a firmware update sometime this past year. I had to revert back to using a USB stick, and it often had to be reformatted through the in-car process. After I updated to MCU2, the SSD returned to full service with no issues.

Having Tesla format it was one of the things I tried. But as it turns out, after much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, I FINALLY figured out (duh!) that my core problem was that the ssd had a password lock on it. Once it dawned on me that Tesla couldn't access the drive with the password lock in place, I disabled the password requirement and, voila, rainbows and unicorns galore were everywhere to be seen. Problem solved and I will sleep tonight. Thank you for your replies.

Having Tesla format it was one of the things I tried. But as it turns out, after much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments, I FINALLY figured out (duh!) that my core problem was that the ssd had a password lock on it. Once it dawned on me that Tesla couldn't access the drive with the password lock in place, I disabled the password requirement and, voila, rainbows and unicorns galore were everywhere to be seen. Problem solved and I will sleep tonight. Thank you for your replies.
Thanks! Happily, I read this before I started gnashing and garment ripping.

• Funny
Reactions: Halldawg
I have the same SSD, and sometimes when I get in the car, my car won’t recognize the SSD

I have to tap reformat on my screen (under security settings) and it works again

Happened twice in a week so far, wondering if I should return the SSD and try a different one?

I have the same SSD, and sometimes when I get in the car, my car won’t recognize the SSD

I have to tap reformat on my screen (under security settings) and it works again

Happened twice in a week so far, wondering if I should return the SSD and try a different one?

I’ve been having the same issue with a Tesla recommended USB drive, and previously two different Micro SD cards in two different SD USB readers. Hoping it’s a software issue they’ll eventually resolve.

I've had similar issues with Samsung T7 formatted as FAT32 - stop being recognized. To get the USB recognized again, I had to unplug and re-plug the drive. Eventually I got tired and formatted the drive as exFAT - works with no problems for months.