Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Tesla app on iPhone 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experience something similar as this frequently. For me, this resolves itself when I reboot my Model 3. It comes back every now and then but rebooting has (so far) always worked to fix connection issues between the app and my car.

My comments must have been buried, but it has already been confirmed by Tesla support that this is a known issue on their side, not att's. The best thibg we can do now is all contact Tesla through the support chat (there is a support category for 'mobile app') to bump the issue up.

Also, note: certain setting changes, such as toggling on and off airplane mode, will fix only the next network call through the app (the initial connection) and give the false impression it was fixed. It wasn't. Try summoning the vehicle, for example, and you will see it fail. The only temporary (and durable) solution known is to turn on a VPN while using the app.

Unfortunately this is a very well-known problem with the AT&T network. You may need to install and enable a VPN to connect to your car when outside of Bluetooth range.

it seems to be intermittent, which means to me that it may just be specific towers that are having the issue.

I haven't used this account in a long time because I just got back into a Tesla.

But I came here to say I'm having the exact same issue. Super frustrating to deal with since I got my car last week.

I'll be following this thread closely. Trying to talk with someone at Tesla about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Spaceosaurus
I experience something similar as this frequently. For me, this resolves itself when I reboot my Model 3. It comes back every now and then but rebooting has (so far) always worked to fix connection issues between the app and my car.
Same problem here.
Since upgrading to the iPhone 12 Pro I'm unable to wake the car up over cellular and get a "Network Timeout". The app works perfectly when I switch over to WiFi, so this is cellular only (AT&T).

I've confirmed Cellular Data is on (see below), and tried this on 5G Only, LTE Only, and 5G Auto -- no change. I've tried resetting phone, and deleting/reinstalling app -- also no luck.

I've seen at least two other people report this on the TeslaMotors reddit, so I'm guessing it's not a widespread problem but not unique to me either. Curious if anyone is seeing the same thing or has more info.

4ZGIEgY.jpg

KE9ZkBe.jpg
Since upgrading to the iPhone 12 Pro I'm unable to wake the car up over cellular and get a "Network Timeout". The app works perfectly when I switch over to WiFi, so this is cellular only (AT&T).

I've confirmed Cellular Data is on (see below), and tried this on 5G Only, LTE Only, and 5G Auto -- no change. I've tried resetting phone, and deleting/reinstalling app -- also no luck.

I've seen at least two other people report this on the TeslaMotors reddit, so I'm guessing it's not a widespread problem but not unique to me either. Curious if anyone is seeing the same thing or has more info.

4ZGIEgY.jpg

KE9ZkBe.jpg
I’m having the same issue. Just got my 12 today. AT&T. I predict finger pointing going on between Tesla, Apple and AT&T. Which sucks because who is going to take the initiative to troubleshoot this?

Anyone hear anything new on this? Also, what’s the quickest way to report this to Tesla? I have an iPhone 12 pro and have been having the issue for a couple of weeks now. Only works when I’m connected to wifi. I’ve tried a lot of different things.

Nope, pretty annoying that Tesla hasent pushed an app update for just this issue alone. This must be affecting 10s of thousands of users at this point a couple weeks into the iPhone 12 launch.

App is unusable for all of us except when we have wifi...

Same issues here. 12 Pro on ATT 5G. I tried logging out of the Tesla app and back in but got this error. Then I connected to VPN and was able to sign in. But after disconnecting from VPN, I get network timeout eventually again.

Attachments

• A1F516E3-CE24-4FE1-8DE9-E73D08501180.png
    A1F516E3-CE24-4FE1-8DE9-E73D08501180.png
    192.7 KB · Views: 197
All, please report these issues to Tesla 800 number and not to your local store. 1 (888) 518-3752. Select extension for software issues or similar to talk to a live rep.
This is the on.y way to push them. They need to see that this is common problem. Thus far they are ignoring it. Also, put negative review on Tesla stores in Google maps as well as reviews of the Tesla app in Apple store. The only way...

Is a VPN an actual help? Can anyone confirm that? If so, then it sounds like there may be some error related to the DNS server AT&T uses on its network. It doesn’t sound like a hardware problem with the phone, or a problem with the app directly, if it works on a VPN or via WiFi or on other networks (since the VPN / WiFi / other carrier all go through a different DNS provider than does AT& on cellular). Has anyone tried forcing a carrier settings refresh (Update your carrier settings on your iPhone or iPad)?

Hoping this is sorted before I take delivery of my model 3 in a few weeks (hopefully).

All, please report these issues to Tesla 800 number and not to your local store. 1 (888) 518-3752. Select extension for software issues or similar to talk to a live rep.
This is the on.y way to push them. They need to see that this is common problem. Thus far they are ignoring it. Also, put negative review on Tesla stores in Google maps as well as reviews of the Tesla app in Apple store. The only way...
I seriously doubt that whining about it is going to make it go faster. What possible use is a negative review on a Tesla store that has nothing to do with fixing the problem? And what qualifies you to know "the only way"?

Reactions: bmah