Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Tesla app on iPhone 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on First Net (AT&T) and have the same problem with iPhone XS Max. I’ve found a workaround is to open the Tesla app and while it’s trying to connect switch the phone into airplane mode long enough for the cellular radios and Bluetooth to turn off (around 5 sec).

Then turn airplane mode off and the app will connect to the car (MS) when service is restored.

Same problem as the OP. I have the 12 pro with the ATT unlimited plan with 5G. It will connect through wifi but not 5G. I also have tried using my 11 pro and it works no problem so seems like its the 5G causing the issue. Hopefully they come up with a fix soon or the 12 pro is going back to the apple store.

• Helpful
Reactions: Spaceosaurus
I’m on First Net (AT&T) and have the same problem with iPhone XS Max. I’ve found a workaround is to open the Tesla app and while it’s trying to connect switch the phone into airplane mode long enough for the cellular radios and Bluetooth to turn off (around 5 sec).

Then turn airplane mode off and the app will connect to the car (MS) when service is restored.

tried this and it worked.
Having the same issue as everyone i'm on ATT and have a iphone 12.
I've tried rebooting my phone/ signing out/ and deleting the app when deleting the app it would only work once.
This is very frustrating..

• Helpful
tried this and it worked.
Having the same issue as everyone i'm on ATT and have a iphone 12.
I've tried rebooting my phone/ signing out/ and deleting the app when deleting the app it would only work once.
This is very frustrating..

Same situation. iPhone 12 Pro on AT&T. Switching to airplane mode then back again after a few seconds seems to work, but then reverts to timeout the next time I open the app. I can keep making it work by switching to airplane again, but just sucks to have to do every time, plus I doubt I will receive any notifications from the car. Something fishy in the cellular connection to the car. Maybe something to do with the proper 5G connection.

• Helpful
Hmm let me know if you find anything other work around. Looks like we’re both stuck.

Did your car do an update recently?

EDIT: I can’t log into Tesla account in the phone either...saying to many redirects occurred. Very weird.

"saying to many redirects occurred."

Try clearing out your cache (clear history and website data)...redirect issue should clear.

Same issue here. Upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Friday. Then upgraded my AT&T plan to 5g today. There weren't any issues until I changed my plan to 5g.

I also believe this has to do with the way the app is directing the network traffic. We need to all get in front of Tesla with this issue somehow :/.

• Helpful
Just chatted with Tesla support. They immediately recognized the issue and stated: "My software team is definitely working on a fix." and "We sometimes have a couple learning curves with new phone company software releases.".

In the meantime, I'll be turning on a VPN to establish a connection. Here's to hoping they can turn around a fix for this one quickly.

• Helpful
Just chatted with Tesla support. They immediately recognized the issue and stated: "My software team is definitely working on a fix." and "We sometimes have a couple learning curves with new phone company software releases.".

In the meantime, I'll be turning on a VPN to establish a connection. Here's to hoping they can turn around a fix for this one quickly.

Good info, thanks! I'll contact them too via chat, and others please do as well. Hopefully this is true but you never know what's actually made it to the engineering team.

I just did the chat w/ Tesla Support as well. They weren't aware of the issue and said they'd escalate it to the advanced support team. So it may be worth continuing to reach out as well so as to help them triangulate the problem.

Same here with iPhone 12, 5G, AT&T. Temporary solution to turn on 1.1.1.1/WARP free “VPN”. Tried another paid VPN with no luck. May be a DNS issue.

Won’t strand you and Bluetooth unlock works but I noticed the issue when trying to use Summon.

• Helpful
Same problem as the OP. I have the 12 pro with the ATT unlimited plan with 5G. It will connect through wifi but not 5G. I also have tried using my 11 pro and it works no problem so seems like its the 5G causing the issue. Hopefully they come up with a fix soon or the 12 pro is going back to the apple store.
Same here. iPhone 12 pro , ATT, only connects when on WiFi

very frustrating

• Helpful