Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with the Key Card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my Model 3 last night (spoiler alert: I love it!). So far the phone app has worked perfectly for unlocking and starting the car, and I put the key card in my wallet as a backup. I have to use an access card to get into my parking garage and my office at work, and for some reason when the Tesla card is in my wallet, my office access card doesn't work. Does anyone have thoughts on a solution for how I can keep the Tesla card in my wallet without disabling my office card?

Thanks.

Probably interference due to both RFID cards trying to respond to the reader. You can buy RFID blocking sleeves in credit card size e.g. from Amazon. Assuming you rarely use the Tesla card, just put it in a sleeve and your office card should work.

Okay, I bought a set of RFID shields on Amazon, but they don't seem to do anything (the Tesla card still disables my office access card if they're both in my wallet). Can anyone recommend an RFID shield that they've use successfully in a situation like this?

Thanks.

Okay, I bought a set of RFID shields on Amazon, but they don't seem to do anything (the Tesla card still disables my office access card if they're both in my wallet). Can anyone recommend an RFID shield that they've use successfully in a situation like this?

Thanks.
I’m curious - does the rfid shield, if placed in your wallet empty (just like if Tesla key was in it, but Tesla key car somewhere else away), cause problems with your office card?

That or Is the shield between your office badge reader and the office card? It may not be encasing your card, but if it’s between the card and reader, it may block the signal. Definitely a good idea to try it with the shield in place in the wallet but the Tesla card out of your wallet.

I have my office badge (an older badge system from HID) and the Tesla card in my card wallet (repurposed business card holder that contains those two cards and 4 credit cards). I had to separate the two into opposite sides of the card holder. When the cards were directly next to each other, neither worked. When the cards are separated by the credit cards and the fabric of the wallet pouches, the office badge can be read while the wallet is still folded and by holding either face to the reader. However, I have to unfold the card wallet and really separate the two cards for the Tesla card to be read. Easy enough to do once a month when I’m demoing the car to someone and want to show off the rfid card. Otherwise, the Tesla card never gets used.

Long way of saying you also might need to separate the two cards in your wallet (one in the right side, one in the left side) and even possibly need to unfold your wallet for one/both of them to be read.