Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s been 1051 days since I paid in full for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I traded in our early Vin S85 when AP2.0 came out, Elon was promising FSD in a couple months, even had a slick video showing FSD working. On Dec 31st 2016 we picked it up and paid for EAP & FSD. 1051 days later and still nothing. I can’t even get them to upgrade to the FSD computer. Getting ready to sell my stock since I’ve lost faith they will do what’s right for the AP2.0/MCU1 folks. I don’t want to start bashing them, negative selling never works, but How to we get Elon to get this fixed for those that floated him an $3,000 loan 3 years ago? Time to pay up! What platform do we use to get the message through that we have had enough?

I traded in our early Vin S85 when AP2.0 came out, Elon was promising FSD in a couple months, even had a slick video showing FSD working. On Dec 31st 2016 we picked it up and paid for EAP & FSD. 1051 days later and still nothing. I can’t even get them to upgrade to the FSD computer. Getting ready to sell my stock since I’ve lost faith they will do what’s right for the AP2.0/MCU1 folks. I don’t want to start bashing them, negative selling never works, but How to we get Elon to get this fixed for those that floated him an $3,000 loan 3 years ago? Time to pay up! What platform do we use to get the message through that we have had enough?

I have seen many reports of cars getting upgraded while getting unrelated service center work done. I understand your frustrations but I think this would be a poor time to make rash choices

Hang in there. Don't give up now. Tesla is starting upgrades on AP2.5 cars now. I am sure upgrades for the AP2 cars will come after that. Tesla is working on it as fast as they can.

Hang in there. Don't give up now. Tesla is starting upgrades on AP2.5 cars now. I am sure upgrades for the AP2 cars will come after that. Tesla is working on it as fast as they can.
They are doing AP2.5 that have MCU2. Probably will take a year do finish with the current rate.
And without researching the incompatible issue with between HW3 vs MCU1, it would take another year.

And without resolving the difference between HW2.0 vs HW2.5/3, it would take another year.

so the best case is you will have to wait another 1051 days. It is enough for trading in your car then get a new one.

They are doing AP2.5 that have MCU2. Probably will take a year do finish with the current rate.

And without researching the incompatible issue with between HW3 vs MCU1, it would take another year.

And without resolving the difference between HW2.0 vs HW2.5/3, it would take another year.

so the best case is you will have to wait another 1051 days. It is enough for trading in your car then get a new one.

NO! I doubt it will take that long. Right now, Tesla is just doing a few isolated test upgrades. The rate of upgrades will greatly increase when Tesla starts the mass upgrade schedule. And when Tesla does figure out the issues with MCU1 and AP2 cars, they can do mass upgrades for those cars as well. So those upgrades can happen very quickly once the issues are solved. It won't take a whole year for each.

• Funny
Reactions: BlueRocket

You are right and most likely Tesla will delay this mythical upgrade as long as possible.
Someone just posted this in another thread but this upgrade will very much go the route of lighted vanity mirrors upgrade. This is still listed on Tesla's blog - "So just to be clear, all cars that get delivered are set up to have reading lights in second row seats and Lighted Vanity Mirrors. Those that don't have the latest and greatest when they receive their car can have these items easily retrofitted at no additional cost." :rolleyes:
Inside Tesla - 08.02.12

To all my fellow AP2/FSD buyers from 2016: you are absolutely within your rights to dump your Tesla and dump on Tesla, if that feels right for you. You are absolutely a victim of Tesla and feel free to vent if you want. Don’t listen to the privileged late-comers with the latest technology, quickest upgrades, lowest prices and no experience of the litany of promises that were broken — they don’t know how you feel.

The sad reality is: AP2 owners are most likely to become further victimized by Tesla and the unfoldoing events as HW3/FSD features will start appearing more and more (cones are already here) and AP2 owners are likely among the last to get them. Possibly by a significant margin. In the meanwhile people like @diplomat33 will move onto new threads to cheer for these new features and you will miss out.

You paid to be the first, you were promised to be the first — and instead you will likely be the last.

It may take months or it may take years, we don’t know. It is even possible we won’t get some features if Tesla considers them too hard to implement on old hardware. This has already happened so many times during this debacle as we paid to be the first only to see nothing appear to us and HW2.5 and HW3 get the extra features.

Indeed, it has now been three years since the first AP2 cars were delivered with an FSD pack with ZERO, NONE features delivered so far.

As for me, I’m staying put with my AP2 car but I have already skipped one new Tesla based on this and am likely to skip more.

Last edited:
I think you need to face reality, AP2.0 is never going to get upgraded. It's not just new cameras but the wiring is all different too. I just can't see Tesla performing major work when FSD isn't even operable yet.

How long you wait is up to you. I'm not even sure if HW3 is going to be the one that gets FSD, there are definitely holes in the sensor suite. Might end up being HW4 or HW5. Perhaps HW2.5 and 3 can be made to work, or perhaps they'll end up in the same situation as you....

I still remember the promises that were made with my AP1 car. The dream quickly evaporated once reality (and physics) hit.

Thanks for the comments however I'm still looking for suggestions on how to get the message through to Elon. I did a Twitter post of this yesterday, thinking of doing one each day incrementing the number of days. Emailing the Service Centers has no effect as far as I can tell, they already cancelled two appointments I setup via the phone app, the last cancellation they just said "We will call you when we are ready", which I have zero faith will happen. Thoughts anyone on how we AP2.0/FSD folks apply pressure to be heard?

Reactions: KJD
Thanks for the comments however I'm still looking for suggestions on how to get the message through to Elon. I did a Twitter post of this yesterday, thinking of doing one each day incrementing the number of days. Emailing the Service Centers has no effect as far as I can tell, they already cancelled two appointments I setup via the phone app, the last cancellation they just said "We will call you when we are ready", which I have zero faith will happen. Thoughts anyone on how we AP2.0/FSD folks apply pressure to be heard?

The part that I bolded is where you’re going wrong with this plan. If it’s been 1051 days since you purchased FSD, it’s been 1051 days since Elon gave a s*it about you. You’re not a celebrity that has a chance of moving the needle, so you have zero chance of him caring about the words you write or say.

Huge media attention and in news.

Start with your local media stations. Usually one of them will do a “consumer got screwed” regular segment. That might get picked up by the bigger outlets since it mentions Tesla.

I am getting what I paid for right as it is coming available and I took delivery 6/11/2019. Not that I am going to refuse it but this is really not fair or fun for most anyone without at least AP2.5 and MCU2 and only the newest cars have this combo, mostly MS and MX. Problem is Tesla wants to make the FSD advancement claim and if they started upgrades with more complex issues it would immediately get 10 times more bad press than any other manufacturer. Elon eluded to this as a problem in upgrading older cars. I believe they will get it done, but for those orders three years old, they should offer a refund, or free FSD on a newer model.

Personally seeing how HW2.5 and MCU2 operate in the current FSD suite (big improvement) I would not have been upset if Tesla pushed my upgrade back six months to complete older purchases. It remains to be seen if I still feel that way after the upgrade.

To all my fellow AP2/FSD buyers from 2016: you are absolutely within your rights to dump your Tesla and dump on Tesla, if that feels right for you. You are absolutely a victim of Tesla and feel free to vent if you want. Don’t listen to the privileged late-comers with the latest technology, quickest upgrades, lowest prices and no experience of the litany of promises that were broken — they don’t know how you feel.

The sad reality is: AP2 owners are most likely to become further victimized by Tesla and the unfoldoing events as HW3/FSD features will start appearing more and more (cones are already here) and AP2 owners are likely among the last to get them. Possibly by a significant margin. In the meanwhile people like @diplomat33 will move onto new threads to cheer for these new features and you will miss out.

First of all, you should not be telling AP2 owners that they will not get the upgrade when you don't know that for a fact.

Second, not sure why you singled me out by name. There are plenty of other posters who start thread on new features. Also what are we supposed to do? Never post another thread about noteworthy Tesla news or new features until every single AP2 owner gets their FSD computer?

Like I've said a million times. I empathize with AP2 owners. Believe me, I want AP2 owners to get their FSD computer. And I believe they will get it. But that does not mean we can't also talk about new AP or FSD features too.

Reactions: DanCar
NO! I doubt it will take that long. Right now, Tesla is just doing a few isolated test upgrades. The rate of upgrades will greatly increase when Tesla starts the mass upgrade schedule. And when Tesla does figure out the issues with MCU1 and AP2 cars, they can do mass upgrades for those cars as well. So those upgrades can happen very quickly once the issues are solved. It won't take a whole year for each.

I wonder though, from a business and investor perspective.... It seems like they would like to spread the upgrades out over a longer period of time to minimize negative earnings impact (cost w/o revenue) in any one quarter or year - Also, less cars will require conversion if the upgrade rollout is a protracted one (cars get traded, scrapped, etc.). Time will tell us what strategy was ultimately employed.

I wonder though, from a business and investor perspective.... It seems like they would like to spread the upgrades out over a longer period of time to minimize negative earnings impact (cost w/o revenue) in any one quarter or year - Also, less cars will require conversion if the upgrade rollout is a protracted one (cars get traded, scrapped, etc.). Time will tell us what strategy was ultimately employed.

From a purely business perspective, sure, that makes some sense. But I think from a PR perspective, that would be very bad. There are a ton of AP2 owners who have been waiting 3 years for something they paid for. They are rightly pissed off. Plus, Tesla claims they want to do the right thing and they also claim that FSD is their ultimate goal. Lastly, the quicker the upgrades are done, the quicker Tesla has more cars with AP3 collecting data they need to validate FSD. So it would be in Tesla's best interest to upgrade AP2 owners in a timely manner.

Reactions: jebinc
From a purely business perspective, sure, that makes some sense. But I think from a PR perspective, that would be very bad. There are a ton of AP2 owners who have been waiting 3 years for something they paid for. They are rightly pissed off. Plus, Tesla claims they want to do the right thing and they also claim that FSD is their ultimate goal. Lastly, the quicker the upgrades are done, the quicker Tesla has more cars with AP3 collecting data they need to validate FSD. So it would be in Tesla's best interest to upgrade AP2 owners in a timely manner.
Sorry for not being more clear. I wasn't intentionally suggesting that AP2 owners would be last. I was just suggesting, for business reasons, the overall upgrade program could be a protracted one. I agree, those waiting the longest should be closer to the front of the line than not.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33

Why would it be in Tesla's best interest to update my car to HW3? They know my mileage is over 90,000 and I have FSD. Longer they wait......better for them.

Acquiring new customers is much more important to Tesla than it is to keep me as one. Companies can't do that forever. PR is not often what comes to Tesla's mind when making decisions. For fleet learning they would rather churn out as many model 3 as they can comparing to retrofitting older AP2 cars.

• Informative
Reactions: thedm96 and KJD