TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

It’s been a year since a new drivers seat was ordered

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by AMPd, Mar 28, 2018.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

It’s safe to assume I won’t be getting the replacement.
    My 2014 Model s drivers seat feels loose, it buckles back and forth upon acceleration or braking.

Took it into the service center, the tech took it for a drive and confirmed the issue. They said a new seat has been ordered and they’ll contact me when it comes in

A year later and nothing.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. millergraphics

I am in a very similar situation. Have a squeak in my drivers seat that drives me crazy since the car is so quiet otherwise. Seat was ordered on 6/13 of last year and still nothing...

3. timewasted

timewasted Member

Uh oh... I'm at almost 9 weeks waiting to get a pair of new front seats for my 2017 Model S. I'm suddenly not as hopeful for getting them in a timely manner... :/

4. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox Member

I’m suddenly not as hopeful as well. Two months in waiting for a replacement passenger seat. Squeak drives me nuts

5. Drax

Drax Member

Unfortunately you’ll probably have to follow-up with them in order to ensure the repair is completed. Just know that you’re not alone.

• Like x 1
  6. Safari

Safari Member

I had a similar issue last year and was told that a spar under the seat frame was cracked and it would be a 4+ month wait to get a new drivers seat. The broken seat squeaked and rocked back and forth under acceleration/braking: the SC dealt with the squeaking on the spot with a special lubricant they had (which worked very well). The rocking got progressively worse but eventually the new seat arrived and was installed under warranty. It was great for about six months then started moving again, at which time the SC re-tightened everything. It is now moving again (4 months since the last SC visit) and I am not sure if something is loose (again) or cracked (again). Frustrating in an otherwise great car. You may need to call the SC a few times to remind them that the problem still exists.

• Informative x 1
  7. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

Had both my driver an passenger seats (1st get performance seats) replaced for the rocking issue. Took about 3 to 4 months for each as they only replaced the drivers seat at first until the rocking became and more noticeable on the passenger side.

Drivers side seat ordered late August / early September 2017 came in and replaced late November. Late November they decided to replace my passenger seat came in the 2nd week of March 2018.

I am pretty friendly with the staff at my SC so they kept me updated pretty regularly. But I would check in and ask for a status updates if didn't get hear anything from them for a while.

8. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Their supply chain is only going to get worst before it gets better sadly

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. orangem

orangem Member

I got my original 2013 P85 driver seat replaced. That took 6 months for it to come in. My advisor said these seats have to be special ordered from suppliers as is not made any more. I was joking with him it probably cost Tesla a lot less and quicker to swap both front seats out to the newer seats....Now 3 months later, the passenger seat squeaks madly, perhaps they should have replaced both seats in the first place to newer seats....

10. Matutino

Matutino Member

Mine took 6 months as well, I use to call at least 1 a month to follow up.

11. battleroyale

battleroyale Member

I asked the same thing when they were replacing my passenger seat. SC said they are only allowed to fix the vehicle to the original spec / that it was ordered in. No free upgrades unless the part# is revised to the newest one and no longer available.

Wondering what they'll do if the new seats develop the same issue.

12. smeagolethan

smeagolethan Member

I have 2013 MS and finally got my new drivers seat after 4+ months. I checked in monthly and after the 3rd month i checked in weekly. Keep following up.

13. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

#13 SMAlset, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    Last month we had our 2017 MS driver's seat replaced due to a deep fold/wrinkle in the leather seat. This was perforated leather with venting. It did take a couple of months from when the service order went in (end November) but looks great and happy with it. Tested out the seat heating and cooling, AOK. The seat actually was ready weeks before but we had our annual service apt coming up end of March and said if storage of it wasn't a problem we'd be fine with scheduling it then, which we did. So technically I think ours took about 3 months.

@AMPd I can't believe it's been a year for you, something doesn't sound right there. Being a PD does the seat have special trim on it? Do you still call them to check on it?

14. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Nope no special trim. Just the standard grey leather seats.
    I tried calling them but was on hold for 20 minutes and then hung up
    I’ll call Monday and see what the status is