Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by this statement. I went and checked Tesla's "recommended towing capabilities". It's zero.

Hello BerTX,

Thank you for your question. We have seen the Model S towing various trailers as well as carrying many bike racks with the EcoHitch and there hasn’t been reported damage. To get an idea of what people are towing with the Tesla Model S, Google Tesla Model S trailer towing and look at the images that come up in the search.

As a producer of aftermarket hitches, we cannot suggest going over the manufacturers weight ratings that a vehicle is not approved for. We can only test the hitch, the way it installs on the vehicle, its weight capabilities and to make sure it withstands the capacities we set for it. In this case, the EcoHitch for the Model S is capable of 200 pounds tongue and 2,000 pounds towing.

i already own a Thule bike rack that holds 4 bikes. Can I use it with an EcoHitch? I'm wondering because the original post here said "a couple bikes."

Hey Rob,

Thank you for your question! The Thule bike rack will work with the EcoHitch as long as the weight of the bike rack and bikes do not exceed the EcoHitch tongue weight which is 200 pounds. if you weigh the 4 bikes and bike rack together, just make sure it is not over 200 pounds.

I carry 4 bikes on the rack pretty regularly. I found the 5-bike 2" Thule Vertex was substantially cheaper at the time I bought than the 4 bike version (go figure) and I already have a 4-bike 1 1/4" rack so I didn't need one that would do both hitch sizes.

The Thule is a little over 30 pounds (as I recall), which leaves you about 40 pounds per bike. Our bikes vary wildly in weight, but as an average we're okay. Your results may vary!

I carry 4 bikes on the rack pretty regularly. I found the 5-bike 2" Thule Vertex was substantially cheaper at the time I bought than the 4 bike version (go figure) and I already have a 4-bike 1 1/4" rack so I didn't need one that would do both hitch sizes.

Newscutter,

Sounds like an awesome set up! Have any photos you could share of you carrying all the bikes on the EcoHitch?

I'm in the Mississauga / Toronto area in Canada. Are there any installers that have done this near to me?

Hey cwave1,

Thank you for your question! Currently we do have three Certified Installers within 50 miles of the Toronto area. Georgetown VW which is probably the closest in Georgetown and Auto Accessory World which is probably the second closest in Oshawa. You can find all their information on this page. Let us know if you have any further questions we can help you with.

Hello BerTX,

Thank you for your question. We have seen the Model S towing various trailers as well as carrying many bike racks with the EcoHitch and there hasn’t been reported damage. To get an idea of what people are towing with the Tesla Model S, Google Tesla Model S trailer towing and look at the images that come up in the search.

As a producer of aftermarket hitches, we cannot suggest going over the manufacturers weight ratings that a vehicle is not approved for. We can only test the hitch, the way it installs on the vehicle, its weight capabilities and to make sure it withstands the capacities we set for it. In this case, the EcoHitch for the Model S is capable of 200 pounds tongue and 2,000 pounds towing.

So just to be clear, towing with the Model S is not approved by the manufacturer, so anyone involved in an accident while towing is potentially liable for any property damage, as well as any bodily injury to those involved in the accident, because they were towing with the Model S. Insurance companies would not accept liability, as the driver was intentionally operating the vehicle unsafely.

I know I won't be risking everything I have to tow a trailer. I doubt the wisdom of your continued quoting of towing capacity numbers. I hope you have passed this by your legal representation.

Newscutter,

Sounds like an awesome set up! Have any photos you could share of you carrying all the bikes on the EcoHitch?

There are numerous and varied pictures on my Twitter over the last couple years... @TeslaPittsburgh

This isn't fully loaded, but will give you some idea:

Cl4wR9DWQAA6uuX.jpg

5000lbs, 416 HP, 443 ft/lbs of torque at zero rpm -- similar build to an X -- why not? My Miata is rated for 2000 lbs and its a tin can with no little HP and no torque....

smells like a marketing ploy for the X... I would like to see a model S tow a 747... because it could especially the P100D Remember the V10 TDI VW

Pretty sure a P100DL would LAUNCH that ****er, let alone tow it!

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
So just to be clear, towing with the Model S is not approved by the manufacturer, so anyone involved in an accident while towing is potentially liable for any property damage, as well as any bodily injury to those involved in the accident, because they were towing with the Model S. Insurance companies would not accept liability, as the driver was intentionally operating the vehicle unsafely.

I know I won't be risking everything I have to tow a trailer. I doubt the wisdom of your continued quoting of towing capacity numbers. I hope you have passed this by your legal representation.

Hi BerTX,

We understand where you are coming from and appreciate your insight. As a trailer hitch manufacturer celebrating 40 years this year we take the safety of our customers and those out on the road very seriously. We couldn’t agree more with you that we should all be aware that any vehicle towing a trailer must do so having taken into consideration state by state regulations as well as any regional statutory requirements. Beyond that regarding questions related to liability with insurance it is best that anyone with this concern that is planning to tow where a vehicle manufacturer has omitted that possibility may want to reach out directly to their respective insurance company for specific clarification. In the case of the Model S, it shares essentially the same drivetrain as the Model X (with the exception of AWD) which is factory rated at 5000lbs towing. We offer a towing capacity for all of our hitches, but it remains the sole discretion of the owner of the vehicle to make a determination as to whether or not they wish to investigate and consider the reasonableness as to their particular vehicles capability when a vehicle manufacture omits towing/capacities.

From the reasonableness perspective, it is reasonable to assume that all motor vehicles have some sort of towing ability, including motorcycles, which are another class of vehicle that generally have no manufacturer specific tow ratings but safely tow small trailers and it is assumed are covered by their respective insurances. Here is a very conservative method to look at reasonably determining a vehicle’s potential tow capacity. In the case of the Tesla Model S that has a scale weight of 4,600 pounds and a gross vehicle weight rating of 5710 pounds.

Empty vehicle scale weight: 4,600 lbs
Driver weight: 200 lbs
Additional passengers: 600 lbs
Luggage and other items: 310 lbs
Total: 5,710
Typically a passenger vehicle can accommodate five passengers and their belongings. Now lets say it is just the driver in the car:
Empty vehicle scale weight: 4,600 lbs
Driver weight: 200 lbs
Total: 4,800 lbs

When you no longer have the passengers and their belongings in the vehicle, you now have a difference of 910 lbs. (5,710-4,800=910)
This would be a very conservative method to determine a reasonable and safe towing capacity of a vehicle where no ratings were available. As previously stated in the case of the Model S it is known that the Model X carries a factory tow rating of 5000 lbs. and that both vehicles share essentially the same drive trains. In regard to braking capability of a tow vehicle from a statutory standpoint most states do not require trailer brakes when trailers are below 1000 lbs (state by state statutes very from 1000 and up)

State and Province Towing Laws
Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 6.27.47 AM.png

However in an instance where braking is a potential concern trailer brakes can be added to the trailer.
We manufacture the EcoHitch for bike rack, cargo tray and towing applications. We rate each hitch based upon its design, the specific vehicle frame configuration and installation. We have seen many folks safely and happily enjoy their vehicle while also towing even though we do not, nor can we give a rating, to a vehicle when a vehicle manufacturer has omitted that capability.
In the end it is always up to the discretion of the vehicle owner to make that decision based upon their specific circumstances. Please let us know if you have any product questions or if we further assist you in any way. Thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: OBX John
I was able to wire the 4 prong electrical plug without the bumper off. I am still working on the wiring codes - I found the brake light, but the signals are more challenging.

Xenoilphobe, Can you post the details on how you did the hookup. Today I went to uhaul to rent a trailer only to be turned down because I didn't have the electric hookup. I installed my Ecohitch a year ago and have used it with my bike rack, but very disappointed I didn't know about the electric hookup back then. Please post and let us all know the instructions.
Thanks.

Actually this is not true. These a lies that had been told over and over again from house Insurance to car insurance.

Any reputable insurance company will pay out up to your liability limits.

If this was not the case you would not see people add lift kits to their trucks, aftermarket AMPs, and aftermarket brake kits, big aftermarket rims, bigger engines. All which are not approve nor recommend by the manufacturer.

Most insurance companies will even let you add the additional modification on to your policy.

I was speaking to an ex-Tesla enginer who was working for the company during development and launch. He said that the only reason that the Model S wasn't certified for towing was because they ran out of time to organise it before the launch and then got busy with other things.

Can anyone who has used a Thule bike carrier confirm that the Autopilot and reversing sensors work with bikes on the rack

Reactions: Xenoilphobe