Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s hard to change wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I had everything ready, but with a month before I needed to get my winter wheels on, I decided to give it a go early. I’ve never had a Tesla so who knows what weird things might happen?

First problem, I lost my 3/4” to 1/2” adapter so my torque wrench couldn’t connect to the socket. So I ran to the hardware store to get a replacement.

Then I couldn’t get the wheel cover off, so I had to go get a pick from the hardware store.

Then I realized these lug nuts are 21mm, the one socket I don’t have. Hardware store closed haha.

I also realized, my floor jack isn’t low enough.

Ordered the floor jack and new socket on Amazon, and I’ll try again next weekend haha.

what else could go wrong?

Attachments

• 1FC735CB-A3BE-4BC8-BAED-4247A22171BE.jpeg
    1FC735CB-A3BE-4BC8-BAED-4247A22171BE.jpeg
    391.1 KB · Views: 320
noshadow: More toys! Did you purchase the "hockey puck:" spacer you'll need to place between the jack and the lift points? You can find them on Amazon.
If used properly, there's no chance you'll "easily puncture the battery."

I was going to mention driving onto some 2x6s or similar. That’s what I do as well.

I have a low profile floor jack, but I’ve also dropped 1” from stock PUP height, and the hockey puck battery protectors are literally millimeters too tall, so I have to roll onto some scrap woods. I just swapped wheels a few days ago in prep for some winter snow driving (drifting)

yeah, I bought the pucks, but the RENNSTAND also has an adapter, so I'm just going to use that.

Then RENNSTAND adds quite a bit of height, but having that hold the weight rather than the floor jack just seems safer.

Good idea driving up on something. I'll see if the low profile jack works first though. I ordered the same one the Teslarati people recommended using.

If there's only 1 lift point where do you position the scissor jack?
There is a front lift point below the front door and a rear lift point below the rear door.
In general I always use two jacks on the same side to give less stress to the body frame and added security.
If I had to go under the car I will always put some stands in case a jack might collapse.

For road emergency, I carry two scissors jacks (2 Tons) in my trunk and hockey pucks.
It is then more easy to use alternatively each scissors jacks to lift the car of few inch at a time.
I don't think I would be able to lift the Model 3 with only one scissor jack (2 Tons).
The little crank handle would not give me enough torque.
I also put a large piece of plywood under each the scissor jack to improve stability.

• Informative
Reactions: bruce4000
There is a front lift point below the front door and a rear lift point below the rear door.
In general I always use two jacks on the same side to give less stress to the body frame and added security.
If I had to go under the car I will always put some stands in case a jack might collapse.

For road emergency, I carry two scissors jacks (2 Tons) in my trunk and hockey pucks.
It is then more easy to use alternatively each scissors jacks to lift the car of few inch at a time.
I don't think I would be able to lift the Model 3 with only one scissor jack (2 Tons).
The little crank handle would not give me enough torque.
I also put a large piece of plywood under each the scissor jack to improve stability.

I also don’t have a scissor jack. So I need a new jack anyway. I just bought the low profile, and will use the RENNSTAND to prop the car up while I change the tire.

RENNSTAND. It’s basically a built in jack stand for extra safety.
Racing Red Edition Tesla "Safe Jack" for your Model S, 3, X, Y (Each)
Ok. But we’re changing wheels here. Not crawling around under the car having a picnic with our toddlers.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I’ve changed out wheels or rotated them probably a hundred times with nothing more fancy than a couple jacks and have lived to tell the tale. I guess my point is it’s only “hard to change wheels” if you make it hard. ;)

Also holy crap $169 EACH! That’s some Cadillac steel if ever there was some.

Reactions: Yelobird
Ok. But we’re changing wheels here. Not crawling around under the car having a picnic with our toddlers.

Maybe I’m old fashioned, but I’ve changed out wheels or rotated them probably a hundred times with nothing more fancy than a couple jacks and have lived to tell the tale. I guess my point is it’s only “hard to change wheels” if you make it hard. ;)

Also holy crap $169 EACH! That’s some Cadillac steel if ever there was some.
There are a pretty good number of reports that they beat the hell out of your jack points...

Reactions: Berkshire1
There are a pretty good number of reports that they beat the hell out of your jack points...
I can’t imagine how. Do those reports come from people looking to justify $200 per corner of special equipment to lift a car off the ground?

I have 115,000 miles on my S, and have rotated my own tires every 7,500 miles, so that’s ~15 rotations by my count. Nothing but a couple cheap auto store floor jacks and a short section of 2x4. Guess I’d have to go lay on the floor and take a picture of my jack points to see if they’re “beat to hell”, though I don’t think they are, and I’m not sure why I’d care even if they were.

I would just drive a few blocks to my gas station shop to do tire rotations for like 10 bucks. After ~10 rotations i am still saving money over a jack, dirty hands, and also picking up a snack from the shop.

I never understood doing small item maintenance to save costs. I feel like people never account for time in their total cost.