Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It’s hard to change wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ya, it’s the Safe Jack stands that seem to be damaging them. I don’t personally have them but a few people have posted here showing damage. If I recall it appears that the Safe Jack stands are torquing or rotating some during the process and the very nice little round jack points get their sharp circular edges dinged up and bent some. Possibly not an issue, but I wouldn’t like any tool that permanently damages the vehicle...

• Informative
Reactions: ucmndd
I can’t imagine how. Do those reports come from people looking to justify $200 per corner of special equipment to lift a car off the ground?

I have 115,000 miles on my S, and have rotated my own tires every 7,500 miles, so that’s ~15 rotations by my count.
Nothing but a couple cheap auto store floor jacks and a short section of 2x4.
Guess I’d have to go lay on the floor and take a picture of my jack points to see if they’re “beat to hell”,
though I don’t think they are, and I’m not sure why I’d care even if they were.
There is a good thread under:

Some Sunday afternoon fun on the new toy
- From the #4 posting the OP used the following floor jack passing just in the middle of the wood stacks:

Putting the 3 on all 4 jack stands
- In particular the #12 posting shows the following video:​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Another option... (if you have a Model S with an air compressor for the suspension)

exhaust-powered-car-jack.jpg

Last edited:
I recommend these tools:

1. Harbor Freight lightweight 3.5t aluminum racing jack.
2. Tesla model specific jack pads, sponsor here sells them, I have two, one sits in trunk for
the road emergencies. These are real savers as they clear the edge of the battery pack and
snap it magnetically.

Watch out with car getting jacked up at random locations, unless you are in a Tesla infested
area few mechanic know about the danger of nicking the battery pack.

Since I wear out seasonal tires in two years (don't ask how) I love the fact that at season changes
I can just throw the set of four into the trunk and take to my local installer.

To above poster, respect your life, there are better ways to commit harakiri:)

I would just drive a few blocks to my gas station shop to do tire rotations for like 10 bucks. After ~10 rotations i am still saving money over a jack, dirty hands, and also picking up a snack from the shop.

I never understood doing small item maintenance to save costs. I feel like people never account for time in their total cost.

It isn't just saving money. It is knowing the job got done right. Torqueing the lugs in the right sequence at the right specs. Inspecting the brakes and hub and wheel and tires. Enjoying the work. You'd be surprised to find out how some things get done by the shop person while the owner is not looking.

You know there are people all over the place that will change tires for you for a nominal fee? Plus, they won’t damage your car. I advise using them, instead of some half assed wood block contraption. And you don’t have to buy a bunch of use once useless stuff. The most dangerous thing in the world is being under a jacked car when you are alone. That’s when you are discovered because of the classic phrase: “what’s that smell?”
Just saying.

I would just drive a few blocks to my gas station shop to do tire rotations for like 10 bucks. After ~10 rotations i am still saving money over a jack, dirty hands, and also picking up a snack from the shop.

I never understood doing small item maintenance to save costs. I feel like people never account for time in their total cost.

I'm actually switching out my tires for winter wheels. In the past I needed it because I couldn't fit all my wheels in my car (Audi S5).

Also, I've had it happen twice where two separate local shops damaged my rims (dropped them on their faces).

I also enjoy working on my cars, so though I complain, it is part of owning a car for me. Not to just save money and time, but because I know the lugs are torqued on correctly and that's something I value more.

You know there are people all over the place that will change tires for you for a nominal fee? Plus, they won’t damage your car. I advise using them, instead of some half assed wood block contraption. And you don’t have to buy a bunch of use once useless stuff. The most dangerous thing in the world is being under a jacked car when you are alone. That’s when you are discovered because of the classic phrase: “what’s that smell?”
Just saying.

I'm waiting on the right tools at this point (the low-profile jack) so it won't be half-assed.

I've been under a car a lot, when I was younger we literally had no other option than to fix and work on our own car. The only way to afford the car was to also fix it ourselves. I have also swapped out entire motors, suspensions, and more from more than five different cars. I've learned that getting the right safety equipment is worth it.

Now, about the nominal fee, that's definitely an option. Like I mentioned above, I'm used to working on my own car, and I've grown fond of it, perhaps because of our need to work on our own cars growing up. I also have ultimate confidence in my own work, especially if I'm the one seeing my torque wrench get to 129 ft-lbs.

I'm waiting on the right tools at this point (the low-profile jack) so it won't be half-assed.

I've been under a car a lot, when I was younger we literally had no other option than to fix and work on our own car. The only way to afford the car was to also fix it ourselves. I have also swapped out entire motors, suspensions, and more from more than five different cars. I've learned that getting the right safety equipment is worth it.

Now, about the nominal fee, that's definitely an option. Like I mentioned above, I'm used to working on my own car, and I've grown fond of it, perhaps because of our need to work on our own cars growing up. I also have ultimate confidence in my own work, especially if I'm the one seeing my torque wrench get to 129 ft-lbs.

Yup. You'll probably save money and a few gray hairs not having to pay to fix someone else's mistakes.

It isn't just saving money. It is knowing the job got done right. Torqueing the lugs in the right sequence at the right specs. Inspecting the brakes and hub and wheel and tires. Enjoying the work. You'd be surprised to find out how some things get done by the shop person while the owner is not looking.

6FDFA58E-B59C-48A4-A906-AF4F4B705814.jpeg
D3683FD6-C365-437E-A406-088A746314E6.jpeg
B634E875-83BE-427F-BAD3-10F901B0035F.jpeg
I finally got all the things I needed to swap out the wheels. Here’s my full list:

1. Torque wrench
2. 21mm socket
3. Jack point adapter
4. Low profile floor jack
5. Suction cup puller to remove the center caps

I thought I needed a bunch of other stuff, but ended up just needing the above.

Reactions: pt19713
I recommend these tools:

1. Harbor Freight lightweight 3.5t aluminum racing jack.
2. Tesla model specific jack pads, sponsor here sells them, I have two, one sits in trunk for
the road emergencies. These are real savers as they clear the edge of the battery pack and
snap it magnetically.

Watch out with car getting jacked up at random locations, unless you are in a Tesla infested
area few mechanic know about the danger of nicking the battery pack.

Since I wear out seasonal tires in two years (don't ask how) I love the fact that at season changes
I can just throw the set of four into the trunk and take to my local installer.

To above poster, respect your life, there are better ways to commit harakiri:)
I stay away from Harbor Freight. Harbor Freight Recalling Replacement Jack Stands - Second Recall