Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It a charging rate of 1,028mi/hr correct?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

taz34

Supporting Member
May 11, 2022
USA
Received my new 2022 Tesla S Plaid yesterday, drove it around town then made a 300 mile trip, stopped at a supercharger to charge it for the first time, and was presented with the follow:
Charging: 250kW
Charge Rate: 1,028mi/hr
On my Model Y I could get 500 something mi/hr.

One of the other issues, is that I have been charging my model Y for months from my 14-50 outlet with no issues, had the new model S on it, and 4 hours into it, it trips the circuit breaker.

Perhaps the MY was plugged into a V2 supercharger. Your new car was obviously plugged into a V3 supercharger. The 2 rates you mention are typical for V3 and V2 respectively.
Are you using a mobile connector on the 14-50 outlet?

So I usually use the same Superchargers between Gig Harbor, WA and Bend OR. (Sandy Superchargers and Bend), but last night was first time I used the Troutdale OR. ones. Just checked, the ones I normally use are 150kW and the one in Troutdale last night was 250kW. Ok, that explains that.

If it's tripping the circuit breaker, I would thoroughly check the wiring on the receptacle as well as in the circuit breaker panel.

Please post a picture of your charging setup (mobile connector plugged into the receptacle), the circuit breaker, and a pic of the charging screen on the car while charging (showing kW, amps and volts).

Gen 1 mobile chargers will charge at 40 amps on a 50 amp breaker.
Given we’re talking about a 2022 Model S and a Model Y here, this remains irrelevant and confusing to the OP.

A cheap outlet will overheat, especially in 100 degree weather.
Lol, no. I mean, yes, some of them inevitably fail for all sorts of reasons, but I can’t imagine 100f ambient temperature being any particular issue. I’ve ran many tens of megawatt hours through a “cheap” outdoor RV plug at 40 amps on my Gen 1 UMC with no issues. We are regularly WELL north of 100f in the summer. Any properly installed 14-50 is literally designed to accept a continuous load of 40 amps.

That's why TESLA had to downgrade the mobile charger to protect you from yourself.
This is complete speculation in regard to their motive. I’ll take “the gen2 is cheaper to make” for $1000, Alex.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H