Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It didn't take long to lose confidence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, my Y has 1,000 miles on it. When I went out to the garage, the left rear tire was flat flat. Since I haven't had a flat tire in about 40 years, I hadn't paid much attention to the tires when reading the manual. So I called the Roadside Assistance, assuming that a Tesla rep would drive up and fix the tire. After a while someone texted me and said they would have to tow me to the SC 17 miles away. Even once it is in the SC, who knows how long it would take to get it back. I looked in the manual and figured out there is no jack, wrench, or any other method to remove a tire. Fortunately I pumped the tire up and it is holding for now but since it lost a lot over the past day, I'm sure it will be flat tomorrow. I'll risk it and take it to a local tire repair place close by tomorrow. Hopefully they have wrenches to remove the odd sized nuts. Fortunately I have the pucks to put under the frame to protect the battery. Hopefully I can get it repaired by them.
My point in all of this is I knew that buying a Tesla would have it's share of issues, but I never realized that getting a simple tire repaired would be this difficult. I have lost any confidence I had with Tesla and will not drive it any significant distance from home. Fortunately we have a second gas fired car that we have confidence in and can get it serviced anywhere.
For sale soon - a low mileage Model Yw/one repaired tire.

OP - you can just carry a 12v tire inflator and tire plug kit for emergencies...no need to remove the tire(s). Also, just throw in the jack pucks ($20 on amazon) in the trunk for instances where the tire needs to be jacked.

If you can't figure this much out...I guess you don't need to be buying a Tesla? Sorry - don't mean to be a jackass but it doesn't take much to remedy a small issue like this.

This isn’t a Tesla specific problem. Many new cars do not come with spare tires anymore. If it makes you feel any better if you had purchased a new Prius instead of your model Y you would be in the same predicament when it comes to tire issues.
But I've never had a car come without a lug wrench and jack. It would be nice to take the tire only to a repair facility, particularly if it can't hold air.

Well, my Y has 1,000 miles on it. When I went out to the garage, the left rear tire was flat flat. Since I haven't had a flat tire in about 40 years, I hadn't paid much attention to the tires when reading the manual. So I called the Roadside Assistance, assuming that a Tesla rep would drive up and fix the tire. After a while someone texted me and said they would have to tow me to the SC 17 miles away. Even once it is in the SC, who knows how long it would take to get it back. I looked in the manual and figured out there is no jack, wrench, or any other method to remove a tire. Fortunately I pumped the tire up and it is holding for now but since it lost a lot over the past day, I'm sure it will be flat tomorrow. I'll risk it and take it to a local tire repair place close by tomorrow. Hopefully they have wrenches to remove the odd sized nuts. Fortunately I have the pucks to put under the frame to protect the battery. Hopefully I can get it repaired by them.
My point in all of this is I knew that buying a Tesla would have it's share of issues, but I never realized that getting a simple tire repaired would be this difficult. I have lost any confidence I had with Tesla and will not drive it any significant distance from home. Fortunately we have a second gas fired car that we have confidence in and can get it serviced anywhere.

That's ridiculous Tesla has nothing to do with tires they don't make tires. maybe not even a tire manufacturer or problem how about just it was your turn to drive over a nail or some such thing. That's no reason to throw in the towel on the entire vehicle but I guess if that's what you choose to do it will be as another has said in this thread it's your loss.

$40,000 cash. Small unmarked bills.

Let’s do this.

From Tesla:

Tire Repair Kit

1133009-00-A_1.jpg

Flat tires Stink! I will point out another car that doesn't have a spare... My Toyota Sienna AWD- yup, no spare (the AWD system takes up the spare space) but Toyota makes you use Run Flat tires. As the tire place said to me... "Yeah, run flat tires- none of the performance, half the millage, and twice the price." Which is SO TRUE! What really kills me is that Run Flat tires "can't" be repaired... so 1 nail and $400 later you are back on the road. And for some reason my car is a NAIL MAGNET and I've gone through 3 tires just in the last 1.5 years.

So I'll take a car that I can fix the tires- In fact, I'm not replacing my tires ever again to Run Flat- I'm getting a spare from Modern Spare and going regular tires. And I've seen Tesla's up on the lift at my local Mavis, so I can say I feel pretty confident that I could get my tire fixed if I'm traveling.

I'll also add that I did buy a slime kit and put a pump in my Tesla- but I've done that for every car I've owned.

Sorry for your flat and good luck.