Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It happened- someone tried to steal my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From @Physicslawyer posts, my quick review of stated relevant facts:
  • Area becoming more dangerous
  • Fear when jogging in the area, avoiding certain areas
  • 2k sq. ft. garage partially unusable for parking
  • Fear of being a target both because of displayed wealth and personal size
  • Greater level of transient renters, and trend is accelerating
So my totally unasked for and quite possibly short-sighted suggestions based on the above are things you can do:
  1. ToDo today - fIrst and foremost: add a comprehensive monitored security system to the home and surrounds.
  2. ToDo today - reno the garage so your can park all vehicles inside and locked up, and monitored through the system in Step #1.
  3. ToDo today - arm yourself for jogging runs. At least begin with some defensive martial arts moves designed for protection against much larger attackers. Sprays do work, expandable police-style batons holstered or attached to keychains are an option, and if you are qualified and comfortable step up to more aggressive protection with a sheathed knife or ultimately a holstered pistol. Since all of these can also be turned against you, the phrase “qualified and comfortable” means lots of training.
  4. Get involved in the city government, especially any police oversight bodies or citizen advisory groups. Push to get the area patrolled more often with aggressive community-oriented policing practices in place. Try to stop the trend from annoyance crimes to violent ones.
  5. As and if the environment continues to deteriorate, turn the home into an AirBnB/VRBO/whatever as neighbors have done…and move.
Good luck.
6. Put the house on the market.
7. Make $$$$$
8. Move out.

Zip Code is more important than genetic code-move out & live in a safer/better Zip code. You sound very alarmed or the place is real crappy.
Million dollar zips, *sugar* they're almost all million dollar zips here in socal are all going thru increased crime. It wasn't enough to deal with porch pirates, car thefts, and the typical, a unique mob type in this area are the gangs of teens on e-bikes who think they are Hell's Angels on a wrath, whom rove these neighborhoods... lmao.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Zip Code is more important than genetic code-move out & live in a safer/better Zip code. You sound very alarmed or the place is real crappy.
It's supposed to be one of the safest places in the country. The area in NY we live in looks more dangerous and is a more affluent zip code.

This is what comes up for PA:

According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI crime statistics, is safer than 87% of the cities and towns in the US of all population sizes.

In Pennsylvania, only on the order of 15% of the communities have a lower crime rate. Your chance of becoming a victim of crime in the community is 1 in 247. The US average across communities from the largest to the smallest is 1 in 43.

vs where we are in NY
The neighbors in the neighborhood in are wealthy, making it among the 15% highest income neighborhoods in America. NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis reveals that this neighborhood has a higher income than 96.9%

The A+ grade means the rate of crime is much lower than the average US city. is in the 99th percentile for safety, meaning 1% of cities are safer and 99% of cities are more dangerous.

Your chance of being a victim of crime in may be as high as 1 in 81 in the north neighborhoods, or as low as 1 in 278 in the southeast part of the city.

Last edited:
someone tried to steal stuff from your car, not the actual car. Change the thread title.
Attempted car theft doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. I know Teslas require a certain tech savvy to steal, but clearly this person didn’t know about sentry mode so probably didn’t know much else about Teslas either. Maybe they were hoping the keys were left in the car.

I have two other cars on the street which haven't been stolen, my WRX and a Challenger. Those have no cameras. I hope nobody has tried to get into them.
But they have immobilizers built in unlike the Hyundai/Kia, so you're a few steps up in that regard so keep'em locked.

Here's a rando local news... local news, it's national news but its so prevalent its all over local news.

It's so bad that insurance can be affected.

actually the opposite. Gun control group/lobby/Gov. sold way more guns than during the gun friendly Gov.
Oh I'm aware. "Be afraid of criminals" "Be afraid of your government, they are coming for your guns". Its all about fear and paranoia but we're way off track and some butthurt gun enthusiast(s) will surely report this to a mod and it'll get moved soon.

BTW big 2A supporter here but we've jumped the shark in terms of sensibility IMO.

• Funny
Reactions: Fourdoor and TSLY
Oh I'm aware. "Be afraid of criminals" "Be afraid of your government, they are coming for your guns". Its all about fear and paranoia but we're way off track and some butthurt gun enthusiast(s) will surely report this to a mod and it'll get moved soon.

BTW big 2A supporter here but we've jumped the shark in terms of sensibility IMO.
I really don't want to derail this thread, but bottom line is that gun people will side with gun and anti gun people will side with anti gun, so Tesla people will need to stay Tesla.:cool:

Thus far I am amazed at the Red Fox, the Raccoons spiders, and an iguana that roam around my house in the middle of the night. The ring floodlight cameras are very easy to install and one can give the local police access to any footage that was recorded if necessary.
You'd be amazed at what you catch once you set up cameras! Very famous Tesla owner's security footage.
imrs.php

The cop thought it was his mom. He looked to be around 20. The cops have visited this house previously.

The cop later told me that the guy could have walked through the space between the houses. From the video, it appeared that he came out of the house.
I'm pretty active in my neighborhood. The thing I've been told more than once by our Police is not to think too rationally/logically about what some people who are involved in petty crime do. They're often just not thinking too much about the totality of their actions or the implications. You need to keep yourself safe but that's what I've been told.
Definitely not in NY/NYC, DC, Baltimore, LA, Chicago.
How dare you!

I don't exactly feel safe where we are in NY either. My house there is entirely surrounded by hedges and you can't even see the house from the street. I have had random people walk up to my door. This is in a "nice" area in NY, Northshore LI where homes are more spread out, no sidewalks. You get privacy, but there is isolation that goes along with that.

There must be somewhere you can live and feel safe in your home.
Yes, there must be somewhere. There are usually known areas that are considered safer than others, and the local police would be able to share that information, which is something people should check on before moving into an area. Our little town of 3500 is known to be crime free, so much so that we have no police, and police from the nearest town don't bother coming up here.

I doubt that he tried to steal your car. He simply wanted to grab anything valuable inside your car since a lot of people simply do not lock their cars for some odd reason.
Sometimes its better to leave car unlocked with nothing in it .. that way you dont get the cost of smashed window/door repair. Not saying this is a good idea, but I think its the logic that some people use.