Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It happened- someone tried to steal my car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's nothing valuable in the car except for the charging cable. I still have the mattress set up in the back. We removed the fridge. I guess he can steal a mattress.

So, I called the realtor who showed us the homes in the country club community. Fifteen years later, she knew I was the lawyer from NY. Anyway, she was telling me that her Mercedes records its surroundings. There aren't many "nice" cars around here. I immediately knew her house. She is like 0.10 miles away from me. I texted her the picture and she said she has seen him sitting in front of his house.

I'm pretty active in my neighborhood. The thing I've been told more than once by our Police is not to think too rationally/logically about what some people who are involved in petty crime do. They're often just not thinking too much about the totality of their actions or the implications. You need to keep yourself safe but that's what I've been told.

How dare you!
maybe you are safe since you live in well protected, rich neighborhood, but the rest of the DC is just wild. Have you been to the Half street? I used to work at the convenience store there, and the very first thing the owner told me was, "Do not go outside the security camera coverage area and always watch your back".

Reactions: Physicslawyer
It's supposed to be one of the safest places in the country. The area in NY we live in looks more dangerous and is a more affluent zip code.

This is what comes up for PA:

According to NeighborhoodScout's analysis of FBI crime statistics, is safer than 87% of the cities and towns in the US of all population sizes.

In Pennsylvania, only on the order of 15% of the communities have a lower crime rate. Your chance of becoming a victim of crime in the community is 1 in 247. The US average across communities from the largest to the smallest is 1 in 43.

vs where we are in NY
The neighbors in the neighborhood in are wealthy, making it among the 15% highest income neighborhoods in America. NeighborhoodScout's exclusive analysis reveals that this neighborhood has a higher income than 96.9%

The A+ grade means the rate of crime is much lower than the average US city. is in the 99th percentile for safety, meaning 1% of cities are safer and 99% of cities are more dangerous.

Your chance of being a victim of crime in may be as high as 1 in 81 in the north neighborhoods, or as low as 1 in 278 in the southeast part of the city.
Nice, but that would seem to not be working for you as the 1 out of the 247. Exception that proves the rule? What used to be considered safe enclaves are losing that distinction it would appear. Wasn’t that how the French Revolution got cranked up?

The cop thought it was his mom. He looked to be around 20. The cops have visited this house previously.

The cop later told me that the guy could have walked through the space between the houses. From the video, it appeared that he came out of the house.

We bought the house fifteen years ago. Since then, up the block, the homes have been converted into rentals. I see lots of turnover. The house on the corner diagonal from us has six cars associated with it (two family home).

I do like the town, but now I'm wondering if I go out running if I need to worry about this guy since he knows I turned him in. There is a nearby park that ends in a more isolated trail. I'm going to avoid that part. There is also a ten mile rail trail that is pretty isolated. I don't think I feel comfortable there anymore.

I originally bought here to have a house in a quiet town where I would feel safe. Our crime rates are theoretically low.

"crime rate is one of the lower rates in America among communities of all sizes (lower than 87% of America's communities). One's chance of becoming a victim of crime is one in 247."

Apparently, we are listed as one of the safest places to live in the country.
Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Why not go over to his house and introduce yourself. Ask him if he is interested in purchasing a Tesla because you and your vehicle observed him near your vehicle. Ask if he has any questions on purchasing an EV?
That might be enough to discourage him from going near your Tesla any more?
Who knows maybe he was just ogling your vehicle?
I don’t know if this is a good idea. Anybody that checks the doors on a locked car is clearly not interested in purchasing one. You might end up making eye contact with a crazy person that can be unpredictable. Best to leave this to the authorities. Too many crazy people out there.

I have two other cars on the street which haven't been messed with as far as I know, a WRX and a Challenger. Those have no cameras. I hope nobody has tried to get into them.
Do you leave the car unlocked on them? I would bet someone has tried to open the doors on those cars before. If it wasn’t for sentry mode you would be saying the same thing about the tesla.

I was selling something on FB Marketplace and met up with someone locally in Sacramento, CA. There are quite a few Teslas here. The buyer was traveling from Walnut Creek, near Fremont and the Bay Area, which is a major Tesla hotspot. Yet when I mentioned I'd be in a white Model Y, the response was "what's a Model Y?". I took it for granted that most of California knew what Teslas are.
I would expect being from that area, he does know Tesla, but he may not know the model names of various manufacturer cars. I would specifically say it is a Tesla. :)

I would expect being from that area, he does know Tesla, but he may not know the model names of various manufacturer cars. I would specifically say it is a Tesla. :)
True. I thought I was being helpful and responding in kind as they referred to their own vehicle as “blue Tacoma”. There are typically several Teslas in the grocery store parking lot so I also mentioned I’m in front of the UPS, but still had to wave them down after they drove past me the first time. I forgot there’s no “Model Y” badge on the car. Maybe next time I’ll send a photo.

B1589BE7-AD0B-4792-9070-741EA68A41B0.jpeg

True. I thought I was being helpful and responding in kind as they referred to their own vehicle as “blue Tacoma”. There are typically several Teslas in the grocery store parking lot so I also mentioned I’m in front of the UPS, but still had to wave them down after they drove past me the first time. I forgot there’s no “Model Y” badge on the car. Maybe next time I’ll send a photo.

View attachment 842839
Most people who don’t own a Tesla can’t really tell them apart. Kind of like how only a mother can tell her twins apart. Your photo helps make this point. I’m not even sure I could tell that is a Y on the right if it weren’t right next to it’s slightly smaller sibling.

One "problem" is, the police are under no legal obligation to protect you. They owe you no duty as they are "public servants" and only owe a duty to the public. Way too complex a subject for a short post.

There are places you can "feel safe." I own homes on Cape Cod (Outer Cape) and in a small community south of Tucson. Very safe. Of course, in AZ, everyone is armed to the teeth, so there's that... :-/

Rich
OMG, I am not sure I would feel safe if everyone is armed to the teeth! I hope I don’t make someone there upset Or getting in one of those road rage! 🙁

Most people who don’t own a Tesla can’t really tell them apart. Kind of like how only a mother can tell her twins apart. Your photo helps make this point. I’m not even sure I could tell that is a Y on the right if it weren’t right next to it’s slightly smaller sibling.
Tesla's are easy to tell apart. It's the car that's flashing you and recording you as you walk by it. It's saying, I see you man, I see you as it lets off a series of flashes.

Tesla's are easy to tell apart. It's the car that's flashing you and recording you as you walk by it. It's saying, I see you man, I see you as it lets off a series of flashes.

Those TeslaCam videos are addictive! I think if I saw that bear prowling around my Tesla at night, I’d move.

I thought about this thread yesterday after I mistakenly tried to enter someone else’s Tesla after a long hike. Mine was just two cars down, and was the identical trim. I wonder if the owner thought I was trying to rob them after they reviewed the sentry video. Hope I don’t wind up on YouTube!

Those TeslaCam videos are addictive! I think if I saw that bear prowling around my Tesla at night, I’d move.

I thought about this thread yesterday after I mistakenly tried to enter someone else’s Tesla after a long hike. Mine was just two cars down, and was the identical trim. I wonder if the owner thought I was trying to rob them after they reviewed the sentry video. Hope I don’t wind up on YouTube!
I have done it before too, for the first time in my life. I always tease my wife about how she confuses her Lexus for any white Outback, Civic, Camry, Mazda3…okay, the Camry I can kind of understand. Then one day at the HomeDepot I confused a white Model X for our white Model Y.

The cars were parked a couple of spaces apart and a big truck obscured the Y as I was approaching the parking spot. I immediately spotted a dent above the rear fender and couldn’t believe someone did a hit-and-run. I kept inspecting the dent and running my fingers over it. Finally I went around to the driver’s door and realized, hey the door handles moved…um, hey, this isn’t a Y! I felt embarrassed but also relieved the damage wasn’t on my car. I knew Sentry probably recorded everything so I left a note on the windshield explaining the situation. Hope the owner found it as amusing as I did.

Definitely always keep your Sentry on all the time. I do it for theft reasons too, but I usually only get uhhhhhhh...."interesting" videos instead. 😬 I think I'm up to about 30-40 peeing videos now. 💦😲 Yes....my sentry keeps catching people peeing in a parking lot at my part-time job. I work in a club and instead of people actually using the bathroom in one of the bars, clubs, or restaurants, they prefer to relieve themselves in view of my Tesla cameras. 🙄 I've captured a couple butts and a couple male genitalia. It's amazing how many guys and girls have no qualms peeing out in the open in a public parking lot. 🤦‍♀️ At least my Facebook friends and Instagram followers get a kick out of the videos. 🤣

Use your sentry mode. I have had the car going on five months and have never used sentry mode until last night.

Someone approached the car and tried to open all of the doors. It was someone who lives diagonal from us, two houses down. I have footage of him leaving his house and walking to the car.

I went to the police and gave them pictures that I took of the video showing him trying to open the doors and of a clear view of his face and body.

The technology on this car is at another level.

I'm sure this person knows I drive the car, and I'm concerned about retribution. Apparently, the cops have been to the house before.

This is at our vacation house. We bought a house in town from the early 1900's. The house is beautiful and it's near the downtown and running trails. Our other option was the gated community with the country club that didn't have the same small town vibe.

The area is changing a bit towards rentals and multi family homes and it's changing the vibe of the area. There have been some break ins, even during broad daylight. I'm getting nervous. If you came here, you would think it's a nice, safe, small town. I'm definitely shaken from this. My instruments are in the house, we have other cars and motorcycles in the garage. I'm concerned we will get robbed.

Anyway, if Tesla didn't have this incredible technology, I would not have had such clear evidence.

The cop thought it was his mom. He looked to be around 20. The cops have visited this house previously.

The cop later told me that the guy could have walked through the space between the houses. From the video, it appeared that he came out of the house.

We bought the house fifteen years ago. Since then, up the block, the homes have been converted into rentals. I see lots of turnover. The house on the corner diagonal from us has six cars associated with it (two family home).

I do like the town, but now I'm wondering if I go out running if I need to worry about this guy since he knows I turned him in. There is a nearby park that ends in a more isolated trail. I'm going to avoid that part. There is also a ten mile rail trail that is pretty isolated. I don't think I feel comfortable there anymore.

I originally bought here to have a house in a quiet town where I would feel safe. Our crime rates are theoretically low.

"crime rate is one of the lower rates in America among communities of all sizes (lower than 87% of America's communities). One's chance of becoming a victim of crime is one in 247."

Apparently, we are listed as one of the safest places to live in the country.
Put a sign on the dash(with a pistol pointing , we don’t call 911 we call the undertaker😂😂😂