Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the UK operator has good 2G coverage but spotty 3G coverage, then building out 4G with VoLTE is the way to go. Future proof and cheaper too.

FYI all Japanese operators stopped 2G already. Does Tesla in the UK receive 2G/EDGE signal??

UK operators aren't going to stop 2G, as there's a lot of M2M applications out there (often using SMS rather than data) with the hardware expected to have much longer life than handsets. At least one operator has commented publicly that they may shut down 3G before 2G.

The Model S would receive EDGE if there was any, but the network it connects to in the UK (O2) doesn't have any - it's GPRS or 3G (at least in the places I'm familiar with - it's possible they have some EDGE somewhere). GPRS is close to useless, though occasionally the car will download the odd map tile.

Last edited:
The only way to find out if your car has LTE is to pull out the modem of the car. On a LTE modem you can insert a SIM and allow that SIM to ONLY access 3G and below services and not LTE. We do it all the time with the SIMs of our customers it depends on the contract that the customer has. Possible Tesla has a similar contract.

I seriously doubt that Tesla would install LTE modems in cars and not enable them. It's already been discussed that cars are just starting to roll out with LTE modems and are LTE enabled. I doubt there's one car made before this rollout WITH an LTE modem but not enabled (in the U.S. anyway).

Older cars are not equipped to use LTE. The cars that have the LTE module use it if it's available today.

How do you know this? My car literally was built the day before the LTE enabled ones. Was kind of hoping...

He knows because he has VIN S1049 *and* he has LTE. You do the math, but I'm guessing he has a rather unique insight into what is required to enable LTE, and he's implying it's not just a software change.

havent read the entire thread, but what is the consensus? are most cars now deliverying WITH LTE? i get mine in 10 days....wondering what mine will have!

It seems as though all cars are shipping with LTE now. I haven't seen anybody reporting 3G on a newly-delivered car in a few weeks or so.

He knows because he has VIN S1049 *and* he has LTE. You do the math, but I'm guessing he has a rather unique insight into what is required to enable LTE, and he's implying it's not just a software change.
Surely there's a need also for a different aerial and it might just possibly be somewhere other than a wing mirror? If so, some cars might have the LTE modem and no aerial.

caveat emptor: this entirely my musing

All I've seen him say is that he has first hand experience with LTE. If he had a retrofit done, he would come out and say it. If he had a retrofit done and was asked not to talk about it, then he wouldn't be talking about it. I've been here long enough to know that nobody (even the employees) really know anything with certainty.

All I've seen him say is that he has first hand experience with LTE. If he had a retrofit done, he would come out and say it. If he had a retrofit done and was asked not to talk about it, then he wouldn't be talking about it. I've been here long enough to know that nobody (even the employees) really know anything with certainty.

I think it's safe to conclude he's had a retrofit done. He's apparently allowed to say that he has LTE but nothing about how that happened.

Don't forget that you can test this yourself by using the browser while connected to wifi while at home, or using your LTE phone as a Wifi hotspot. The 3G connection is not the bottleneck that causes the slow speed of the browser.

True dat. Doesn't matter if your two routes are a cart path or a superhighway when all you've got to traverse either is a pogo stick. Or an older chipset/GPU as the case may be.

That said, am glad to have the option of an LTE retrofit for a reasonable price nonetheless - if for nothing else than more ubiquitous connectivity, better/more available Slacker (320Kbps option more often), and faster map views.

That said, am glad to have the option of an LTE retrofit for a reasonable price nonetheless - if for nothing else than more ubiquitous connectivity, better/more available Slacker (320Kbps option more often), and faster map views.
Currently there is no evidence that the car uses any bitrates faster than 128kbps. There is a thread on here where someone snooped the network traffic and you can see that the car request from Slacker the 128kbps version of the song. And I have used a LTE wifi hotspot to monitor data usage on Slacker and that comes in right at 1 Megabyte per minute which equates to 128kbps (128,000*60/8=960,000). But hopefully that will change in the future.

Currently there is no evidence that the car uses any bitrates faster than 128kbps. There is a thread on here where someone snooped the network traffic and you can see that the car request from Slacker the 128kbps version of the song. And I have used a LTE wifi hotspot to monitor data usage on Slacker and that comes in right at 1 Megabyte per minute which equates to 128kbps (128,000*60/8=960,000). But hopefully that will change in the future.

Last I checked in my WiFi captures the slacker songs were 128kbit mp3s.