Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GG, who did you discuss the LTE upgrade with at TM Burlingame? Karl, Thomas, Calvin, Daryl... I usually go there for service as well, so when they schedule me for the shock replacement due to the P85D shock issue (air suspension) I'll ask whomever is in the know about the LTE module upgrade.

Haha, am at Tesla Burlingame for a tire rotation and I've already made a tentative appointment for mid-July to have the chip installed. :D The service folks here haven't even heard of this latest hardware change but, slotted me in anyway fwiw.

@MarcG, Daryl's here today and he didn't know about the upgrade but, he setup the followup appointment. Andrew's the service advisor here today and he didn't know either.
As predicted, The SC is caught off guard by the tweet.....:)

I have an email from my DS that says if they come out with upgraded hardware, that's included.
Or in other words, it doesn't hurt to ask.

I don't think that's what your DS meant. I can almost guarantee it.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, am at Tesla Burlingame for a tire rotation and I've already made a tentative appointment for mid-July to have the chip installed. :D The service folks here haven't even heard of this latest hardware change but, slotted me in anyway fwiw.

Elon said "later this year", not "next month".

Definitely seems silly to be wasting the service center's time over a tweet that was deleted. Question or two, sure. But preemptive appointments? Come on now.

If it were to get autopilot working, maybe... but for 3G-> LTE? If you're that worried about it pick up an LTE MiFi device and use that like I did when my 3G was down for a month.

With regard to LTE, everyone keeps referencing the loading time of map tiles. Maybe I'm blessed to have driven in areas with good 3G coverage, but I don't find there to be any speed inadequacy with the current 3G connection. I've never paid attention to how map tiles load, maybe because it's never been an issue for me.

I'm glad Tesla is moving to LTE, and with the added bandwidth maybe they will finally offer hot spot functionality. But where I live, 3G is just fine and nothing is slow because of it.

With regard to LTE, everyone keeps referencing the loading time of map tiles. Maybe I'm blessed to have driven in areas with good 3G coverage, but I don't find there to be any speed inadequacy with the current 3G connection. I've never paid attention to how map tiles load, maybe because it's never been an issue for me.

I'm glad Tesla is moving to LTE, and with the added bandwidth maybe they will finally offer hot spot functionality. But where I live, 3G is just fine and nothing is slow because of it.
We just went from Boston to DC and back and had to be very careful zooming and panning in many areas because it took well over a minute in some places to refresh and even longer for the traffic info to come in. For doing anything complex we used our AT&T phones because the car was so slow, even while we were on the Cross Bronx Expressway!

and it will cost ...

ElonMuskasDrEvil_zpsd2cb300f.jpg

ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS!

I don't think that's what your DS meant. I can almost guarantee it.

Since you're not him, I'm not sure on what authority you can know what he said or what he meant. This is what he said:

" Hardware upgrades refer to changes we make to components that are already installed on your Model S. Through the program, you would be eligible to receive any of the upgrades that we come out with at no extra charge.

For example, when the production team created a better defroster vents for the Model S last year, even older Model S equipped with the previous defroster vents could receive the upgrade. If you had the service plan, this was included
"

I don't see how an upgrade to the cell radio from 3G to LTE doesn't fit this explanation.

Now I know that doesn't mean they'll actually honor it, but clearly by definition, this is an upgrade to existing equipment.

Last edited:
Since you're not him, I'm not sure on what authority you can know what he said or what he meant. This is what he said:

" Hardware upgrades refer to changes we make to components that are already installed on your Model S. Through the program, you would be eligible to receive any of the upgrades that we come out with at no extra charge.

For example, when the production team created a better defroster vents for the Model S last year, even older Model S equipped with the previous defroster vents could receive the upgrade. If you had the service plan, this was included"

I don't see how an upgrade to the cell radio from 3G to LTE doesn't fit this explanation.

Now I know that doesn't mean they'll actually honor it, but clearly by definition, this is an upgrade to existing equipment.

Everyone got the defroster vents. It was handled as a warranty thing. I don't see how you can equate froster vents being fixed because they didn't work well with LTE service.

Everyone got the defroster vents. It was handled as a warranty thing. I don't see how you can equate froster vents being fixed because they didn't work well with LTE service.

Ok, fine, that was just HIS example. But his definition still stands. We'll just have to see what happens when they come out with it.

He also added this: " Offering hardware upgrades means you are entitled to the latest and greatest version of each part of your vehicle, even if they are not defective."

Last edited:
Ok, fine, that was just HIS example. But his definition still stands. We'll just have to see what happens when they come out with it.

He also added this: " Offering hardware upgrades means you are entitled to the latest and greatest version of each part of your vehicle, even if they are not defective."
When are you getting your front motor installed for free? Because according to your (incorrect) understanding of the service plan, you're entitled to it.

When are you getting your front motor installed for free? Because according to your (incorrect) understanding of the service plan, you're entitled to it.

If you actually READ the definition, that would obviously not be included.

Hardware upgrades refer to changes we make to components that are already installed on your Model S. Through the program, you would be eligible to receive any of the upgrades that we come out with at no extra charge.

Offering hardware upgrades means you are entitled to the latest and greatest version of each part of your vehicle, even if they are not defective

And it's not *my* "(incorrect) understanding" -- it's what DS replied to me when I specifically asked what is included in the service plans as "hardware upgrades". Go re-read what I posted above.

It'll be interesting to see if Tesla provides "reasonably unlimited" LTE data for free, or goes for a monthly fee for LTE and free 3G, your choice.

Probably the fact that the browser won't play video will help with this.

(I think the browser should play video when you're in park, but that's another thread)

I'm not sure why people are excited about just an LTE upgrade. I wouldn't pay a single dollar for just an LTE upgrade unless AT&T's 4G network was going bye-bye. The existing model can handle 14 megabit download speeds with HSPA+ which realistically translates to 3 to 8 megabit with good signal. Right now, you can tether your Model S to an LTE smartphone or use Wifi and see the difference - there isn't much. In poorer signal areas, it wouldn't matter if you have LTE or HSPA+ since you're likely dropping down to lowest 3G speeds. I think there is a lot of room for optimization in the software stack. Hopefully, a slew of ex-Apple software people that Tesla has been poaching can help make a significant difference. A 1.4GHz quad core Tegra 3 should perform better than it does right now. However, if we're talking about upgrading the software stack + processor module + LTE, then I'm all in.

My money would be on a fee for LTE service. It fits their "faster or free" mantra.

Agree, probably no extra charge for now at least. In concept you are going to consume the same amount of data - e.g. only can listen to 1 song at a time and use map so much, the two big consumers of data. The browser really doesn't eat up much as you don't use it for much that often and you will still have blocked streaming video so no concerns...

Agree, probably no extra charge for now at least. In concept you are going to consume the same amount of data - e.g. only can listen to 1 song at a time and use map so much, the two big consumers of data. The browser really doesn't eat up much as you don't use it for much that often and you will still have blocked streaming video so no concerns...
LTE is actually cheaper for the phone company since they can send more data over the same bandwidth. you are correct and that you won't be consuming any more data.

I would be interested in this -- I've noticed that map tile updates seem to be slower now than they used to be (west side of Houston), and this latest firmware update has at least one TuneIn station (Radio Paradise) displaying the status message "This is requires high bandwidth -- try using WiFi" when I try to use it.

My money would be on a fee for LTE service. It fits their "faster or free" mantra.

"Faster or free" could make sense, but keep in mind that this doesn't have to be tied to LTE. LTE is a communications protocol. HSPA+ networks can be faster than LTE networks if the LTE sites are overloaded with subscribers.

Maximum available bandwidth and service priority tiers could be price differentiators. If someone wants a 25 megabit connection rather than the standard 5 megabit connection perhaps that should cost more.