Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like I have LTE enabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt it. It's replacing hardware. That hardware has a cost, and there is labor to do it. I don't know what the costs are (I would think modest) but I don't expect Tesla to do it for free, which is what it would be if included in the annual service.

You dont see this as being applied as a Service Bulletin, similarly to the control arm hardware improvements implemented in the past?

Hmm... either this is misinformation or my eyes aren't as keen as they used to be. I didn't notice any resolution difference between my P85 (Nov 2013), my fiance's P85 (March 2014), and my P85D (Dec 2014). I will investigate further once I have them side by side again.

I started a thread about this a while ago. It's definitely been upgraded between your D and the previous two. Thread with photos here:

New Higher-resolution Instrument Panel Display

My parents took delivery on their new 85D's today and neither car had LTE. Display shows 3G

The manager of the Costa Mesa CA Delivery Center said that cars with a completion date of June 1st and later have LTE. He has delivered several cars recently that had LTE. My parents new cars had been at the Delivery Center about a week already. Factor in transport time from Fremont and a few days sitting at the factory after completion and I assume they were completed just before the switch to LTE.

Had my car in at the service center today to fix a rattle. While doing a test drive with a technician and asked about the LTE service. He mentioned that he thought it was just basically changing out essentially a SIM card type chip, but he wasn't aware of any official retrofit being offered or what it might cost.

He did say he ran some unofficial tests and couldn't find a particularly faster response time.

Car came out of production on May 22. No LTE :(

I had to be one of the last 3G cars. Bummer. I am trying to prepare myself for this being a regular occurrence, as the car will continue to receive upgraded components and features. It just sucks I had to be the last of 3G components being installed...

I had to be one of the last 3G cars. Bummer. I am trying to prepare myself for this being a regular occurrence, as the car will continue to receive upgraded components and features. It just sucks I had to be the last of 3G components being installed...

Aw bummer, did seem it was that last week of May they switched over, even in the middle of that week at earliest. It does seem these small improvements happen a lot. In my view though you'll at least get some cool software updates and improvements as time goes on and with any hardware improvements you can upgrade if really allowed/wanted at times, and it its just more spread out over the year.

With most car brands each year they do redesigns, tweaks, or sometimes tech improvements as well so your guaranteed to have an "old model" after a year, 2, etc.

It works both ways. The next time they raise the base price, change the paint colors, or create a new extra cost item in the upgrade packages you will be happy you got in when you did. Besides, every extra day you get to drive an amazing car is another amazing day! Enjoy your new Model S.

I'm wondering if we see LTE (or 4G as it's equivalent is called here) in the UK with the next shipment.

Also needs an agreement with a Telco, so even if the hardware is fitted to UK cars, it won't necessarily show up until a deal with a carrier is made.

I'm wondering if we see LTE (or 4G as it's equivalent is called here) in the UK with the next shipment.

Also needs an agreement with a Telco, so even if the hardware is fitted to UK cars, it won't necessarily show up until a deal with a carrier is made.

Tesla have a single pan-European arrangement with Telefonica. They don't negotiate with individual carriers in individual countries.

I strongly suspect all cars will now be built with the upgraded hardware, but no idea whether Telefonica will flick the necessary config switch to enable 4G service on European models. Hard to imagine why they wouldn't want to though - it costs them literally nothing, and frees up precious 3G bandwidth for other legacy devices.

My inventory 85D is in Chicago waiting to be transported to me in Mpls. Is there any way for me to figure out when its build date(s) was/were from the VIN? It is listed as having 50 miles so likely was delivered in Chicago in the last week or so. Would be very happy if it is LTE equipped!