Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like you Model Y folks are going to be seeing a lot more of the O-sak 'round these parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
...because I ordered up a new 2023 Model Y today. Blue on white LR w/19" wheels on it's way! w00t! Lots of people complaining about how betrayed they feel but the sheer number of new customers that will be over-the-moon with their new EV will far exceed the vocal minority who bought during a crazy time in the economy when we all (except them?) knew the prices were artificially inflated and would come back down eventually. I digress.

The $20k+ price drop (between $13k discount & $7,500 federal tax credit) was just too much to resist. Couple that with the myriad of small quality of life improvements on this new 2023 version and it just seemed like a no brainer. Total net price will be under $45k once it's all said and done. What a crazy good deal.

The funny part is that I literally have a brand new Ford F150 Lightning that arrived at the dealer the same day of the discount. Doesn't look like I'll be taking delivery of that now as this fits our current needs better and the softening used car market makes me less interested in taking delivery of a truck that will likely be worth less than I paid even w/the tax credit(s).

I went to our local Tesla Store today to drive one of the 2023's but they didn't have any available spots. I've driven them before but not the newest 2023 and I'm curious how the new Comfort Suspension rides out. That was one of my bigger gripes with the previous version was that it rode too stiff/harsh. It sounds like I wasn't alone and they revised it to be a little more supple. Since I couldn't get a test drive scheduled until next week I figured I'd just buy one since I'd likely get to drive it sooner.

FWIW, our local shop had 22 of the 2023 Y's on the lot that all sold in less than 48hrs since the discount was announced. Crazy.

...because I ordered up a new 2023 Model Y today. Blue on white LR w/19" wheels on it's way! w00t! Lots of people complaining about how betrayed they feel but the sheer number of new customers that will be over-the-moon with their new EV will far exceed the vocal minority who bought during a crazy time in the economy when we all (except them?) knew the prices were artificially inflated and would come back down eventually. I digress.

The $20k+ price drop (between $13k discount & $7,500 federal tax credit) was just too much to resist. Couple that with the myriad of small quality of life improvements on this new 2023 version and it just seemed like a no brainer. Total net price will be under $45k once it's all said and done. What a crazy good deal.

The funny part is that I literally have a brand new Ford F150 Lightning that arrived at the dealer the same day of the discount. Doesn't look like I'll be taking delivery of that now as this fits our current needs better and the softening used car market makes me less interested in taking delivery of a truck that will likely be worth less than I paid even w/the tax credit(s).

I went to our local Tesla Store today to drive one of the 2023's but they didn't have any available spots. I've driven them before but not the newest 2023 and I'm curious how the new Comfort Suspension rides out. That was one of my bigger gripes with the previous version was that it rode too stiff/harsh. It sounds like I wasn't alone and they revised it to be a little more supple. Since I couldn't get a test drive scheduled until next week I figured I'd just buy one since I'd likely get to drive it sooner.

FWIW, our local shop had 22 of the 2023 Y's on the lot that all sold in less than 48hrs since the discount was announced. Crazy.
Congrats! What was the Lightning optioned at/specs?

@Ostrichsak Since you were considering getting a Truck, did you ordered the Towing option for your new MYLR?
I did not. As I mentioned, my current spec that I ordered is only $10 underneath the $55k cap for the $7,500 federal EV incentive. Any option beyond what I've already got would make the total price surpass that. In other words, a tow package would basically cost me $8,500 ($1,000 for the tow package and then loss of the $7,500 tax credit) which is why I stated I'm going to be adding a bunch of options post-delivery.

I'm 100% happy for the amount of people that will be getting a Tesla and moving over to an EV from an ICE. But as a relatively new owner it really doesn't feel good seeing your cars value drop a tremendous amount overnight.
Buying a new car that's always a possibility. If it was chief among your concerns you should have bought used. That's the risk you take and unfortunately it proved to be the wrong time to buy a new car which many people suspected give the recent price increases. You win some, you lose some. Personally I don't like the higher risk which is why I almost never buy new vehicles. Too much depreciation as compared to used.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I told my cousin to sell his early X and get a Y. He's been dragging his feet till now. Got a text from him he's at the Sales center lol.
I'm currently talking to a half dozen friends that were considering that are suddenly serious. The cool part is that, of those, 5 would be new to EVs entirely. This is having the intended effect so I'm all for it. Admittedly a mall sample size.

I would imagine Tesla is going to sell a LOT of these over the next few months and most will be first-time-EV buyers who were previously on the fence or possibly knew little about them before all of this chatter started a couple of days ago.

Vocal minority aside, this is a good thing for the EV adoption rate in the long run.

Congrats! What was the Lightning optioned at/specs?
It's a Lariat in red with the standard range battery pack that comes in under $80k to qualify for the Federal tax credit. I'm trying to determine if you can use that more than once on the new(er) version of the $7,500 tax credit. Early indication appears to be that you can and it's more based on your tax liability than number of vehicles you buy. If I can use it on both I may still get that Lightning too but the chances of me taking delivery of that too dropped dramatically once Tesla dropped the prices on their entire lineup.

I have one on order also. I feel time constrained so I'll most probably go through with the order, but a small voice in the back of my head has pointed out that it is likely a further $3.75k price reduction is coming in March if the EV tax credit is halved. This is pertinent to me since I cannot benefit from more than ~ $5k of tax credit.

Ah well. We win some, we lose some.
In case people are wondering about the tax calc, it is pretty straight forward: on the margin, I pay 12% federal tax that will be covered by the EV credit. But that marginal increase in income will incur state income tax of 5% and ACA tax of 8.5% for a total of 13.5%.

Last edited:

I too ordered a second MY yesterday with same configurations. 👍

Reactions: Ostrichsak

1673817413599.png

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush