Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It looks like you Model Y folks are going to be seeing a lot more of the O-sak 'round these parts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^^ Well done. :)

Tesla makes it clear though that software purchases are not included in the EV tax credit eligibility car price limit.

This is not photoshopped

View attachment 896175
This is exactly why I mentioned that I plan to hop on my app right after I take delivery to spend a bunch of money on software and hardware options that I intentionally didn't include with the original build-out.

glad didn't trade in 2020 MY end of last year-now planning to trade in my 2017 Bolt for SRMY (4680)-gonna wait for confirmation that Colorado's EV incentive will jump from $2k-$5k.
I just ordered my 2023 MYLR. Everything I see about the Colorado EV incentive is that's $2,000 for 2023. Can you point me to a source document that refers to $2,500 for 2023? I don't want to miss an opportunity.

I just ordered my 2023 MYLR. Everything I see about the Colorado EV incentive is that's $2,000 for 2023. Can you point me to a source document that refers to $2,500 for 2023? I don't want to miss an opportunity.
If you just ordered it you should have seen a mystery credit of -$2,500 as you were processing. If you click on the details you will see that it says State of Colorado tax credit at PoS. I, too, read it to be down from $2,500 to $2,000 for 2023 but that it was on my order... $2,500 credit. That said, there's still talk that it could be bumped up to $5k as Polis is trying to increase it and seems to have support. Time will tell but I'm not counting on it. If it passes, one should just be able to claim the difference on your 2023 taxes when you file in a year.

If you just ordered it you should have seen a mystery credit of -$2,500 as you were processing. If you click on the details you will see that it says State of Colorado tax credit at PoS. I, too, read it to be down from $2,500 to $2,000 for 2023 but that it was on my order... $2,500 credit. That said, there's still talk that it could be bumped up to $5k as Polis is trying to increase it and seems to have support. Time will tell but I'm not counting on it. If it passes, one should just be able to claim the difference on your 2023 taxes when you file in a year.
Thanks for the details. I'm in Durango and it seems we're always the last to know down here ;)

Thanks for the details. I'm in Durango and it seems we're always the last to know down here ;)
I suspect it's a clerical issue by Tesla and they didn't update their tax tables from 2022 to 2023 for Colorado. Shhh... don't tell anyone. ;)

That said, if the $5,000 figure is passed there will probably be some tax stuff that needs to get filed a year from now when it's time to settle up on 2023. There's probably a section where you have to put what you got already ($2,500 in this case) and then you'd get the difference to make it $5k total. Doesn't really matter at that point if it was $2k or $2.5k because they'll round you up to $5k anyway making everyone whole. I know that the Colorado one (unlike the federal one) will credit you back and then anything that goes above that is cut as a refund check so you don't have to spread it over several years like years past.

The only time that would come into play is if that isn't passed and the 2023 amount stays at $2k. In which case I don't know if Tesla can claw that back if they discover their mistake after the delivery is accepted. You never know when the IRS is involved though. lol

I delivered my 23 MYP in Nov for 69k. Im not butt hurt. I sold 4 Teslas for like 10-15k over MSRP during those crazy times so I’m still ahead. 😂
Did you buy cash or are you financing? What was the post-tax net on this? I have a feeling you maybe barely came out ahead for however much effort was involved in contributing to the problems during the market craziness and inflation that now has resulted in the Fed’s restrictive monetary policy.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Did you buy cash or are you financing? What was the post-tax net on this? I have a feeling you maybe barely came out ahead for however much effort was involved in contributing to the problems during the market craziness and inflation that now has resulted in the Fed’s restrictive monetary policy.

I bought and sold a 2020 M3SR+, 2021 M3LR, 2021 MYP, and a 2021 MSLR (Refresh) all for a substantial gains. Those gains literally put me from a 2020 M3SR+ to a 21 MSLR without putting down any cash. Hell of a stepping stone at the time.

Giving I havent sold my present 23 MYP so the value of that isnt technically a loss until sold, as it could regain value at some point, so Im valuing that on what todays market would bring me. My last "sale" was a trade of the MS, which Tesla gave me a good bit more for than the actual cost of the 23 MYP, so I didnt pay a dime in taxes for that one, as RI assesses taxes on the car price minus trade in, which was nice.

The being said, Im not going to go too deep on an internet forum about financials, as thats stupid, (no offense) but Im ahead even with a little loss on the 2023 if I were to sell today, which Im not planning on doing. Im keeping this one for the long haul. Youre right though as ts not insanely ahead, but its still i nthe green.

Giving the amount of cool vehicles I was able to drive, put 15-20k miles on, sell or trade, and then get another "a step up" was worth it as well. Pretty cool to own so many Teslas. Now if I could just get that X! HA!

• Informative
Reactions: AndrewZ and Dayreg
Gov. Polis proposes new incentives for electric cars, electric lawnmowers and e-bikes
Colorado has been very generous with EVs-back in 2016 there's $2600 used EVs from out of State, then $5k dropped to $2k this year but seems gonna pop back to $5k pretty soon.

...because I ordered up a new 2023 Model Y today. Blue on white LR w/19" wheels on it's way! w00t! Lots of people complaining about how betrayed they feel but the sheer number of new customers that will be over-the-moon with their new EV will far exceed the vocal minority who bought during a crazy time in the economy when we all (except them?) knew the prices were artificially inflated and would come back down eventually. I digress.

The $20k+ price drop (between $13k discount & $7,500 federal tax credit) was just too much to resist. Couple that with the myriad of small quality of life improvements on this new 2023 version and it just seemed like a no brainer. Total net price will be under $45k once it's all said and done. What a crazy good deal.

The funny part is that I literally have a brand new Ford F150 Lightning that arrived at the dealer the same day of the discount. Doesn't look like I'll be taking delivery of that now as this fits our current needs better and the softening used car market makes me less interested in taking delivery of a truck that will likely be worth less than I paid even w/the tax credit(s).

I went to our local Tesla Store today to drive one of the 2023's but they didn't have any available spots. I've driven them before but not the newest 2023 and I'm curious how the new Comfort Suspension rides out. That was one of my bigger gripes with the previous version was that it rode too stiff/harsh. It sounds like I wasn't alone and they revised it to be a little more supple. Since I couldn't get a test drive scheduled until next week I figured I'd just buy one since I'd likely get to drive it sooner.

FWIW, our local shop had 22 of the 2023 Y's on the lot that all sold in less than 48hrs since the discount was announced. Crazy.

Yes completely agreed with what you said.

I was eyeing the Tesla for a while now and when IRS finally released the $7500 tax credit restriction.... I was like "what a bunch of dumb a$$, lazy gvt workers classifying MY 5 seats as a car vs. MY 7 seats as SUV....I'm done!
A couple days later I just happened to look again (Fri 1/13/2023) and Tesla dropped $13k for MY to qualify for that tax credit... IRS gvt workers are pure genius. They purposely made that rule so that Tesla would drop their prices. They knew this all along.... LOL. I placed my order right away... Blue/white. 1st time EV.

Now I need to figure out how to pay...add the bank account to that Tesla app and pay?

• Funny
Reactions: Noflash
Yes completely agreed with what you said.

I was eyeing the Tesla for a while now and when IRS finally released the $7500 tax credit restriction.... I was like "what a bunch of dumb a$$, lazy gvt workers classifying MY 5 seats as a car vs. MY 7 seats as SUV....I'm done!
A couple days later I just happened to look again (Fri 1/13/2023) and Tesla dropped $13k for MY to qualify for that tax credit... IRS gvt workers are pure genius. They purposely made that rule so that Tesla would drop their prices. They knew this all along.... LOL. I placed my order right away... Blue/white. 1st time EV.

Now I need to figure out how to pay...add the bank account to that Tesla app and pay?
I went through the order process in the app and it asked if I was going to finance or lease. I selected "cash" as the option and it accepted it so that now the only option is to change that. This will allow someone to change their mind before delivery to finance or lease it. Once the car is ready for p/u and we start moving that direction I intend to cut a check to take to delivery to physically hand over once I've inspected it.

I went through the order process in the app and it asked if I was going to finance or lease. I selected "cash" as the option and it accepted it so that now the only option is to change that. This will allow someone to change their mind before delivery to finance or lease it. Once the car is ready for p/u and we start moving that direction I intend to cut a check to take to delivery to physically hand over once I've inspected it.

When you said "cut a check", you meant "cashier check/money order"? I dont think they accept personal bank check do they?

This is exactly why I mentioned that I plan to hop on my app right after I take delivery to spend a bunch of money on software and hardware options that I intentionally didn't include with the original build-out.

I understood the snippet I copied from Tesla to mean that software purchases prior to delivery are not part of the car cost calculation. Not that it mattters in your case.

You are making a mistake. Keep the F-150.

There is no match in cabin space, frunk, plus you have a bed where you can carry bikes etc etc. The cabin noise while driving is almost non existent. The blue cruise hands free works much better than the standard autopilot.

If you want to save money and get headaches then go with the Y. If service centers could not handle the volume before imagine now… good luck!

When you said "cut a check", you meant "cashier check/money order"? I dont think they accept personal bank check do they?
I meant a personal check. These days you can forge a cashier's check same as you can a personal check. This is why they hold processing your title work until after the funds have cleared in either case. I see zero reason that they wouldn't accept either type of check given they already have all of your detailed information at this point in the process. It's not like more basic transactions where someone is buying an item, handing you a piece of paper with numbers scrawled on it and then leaving with the item and you have no recourse if it bounces. Tesla still holds title until they present it to the buyer once funds clear so, in that respect, it's actually less risk than selling a flat screen TV or any other consumer good that doesn't have a title. Tesla has been known to make sillier decisions that defy logic so I guess time will tell.

I understood the snippet I copied from Tesla to mean that software purchases prior to delivery are not part of the car cost calculation. Not that it mattters in your case.
I think this mainly matters for those who wish to finance the vehicle and roll all options into the loan. In our case, it really doesn't matter so I'd rather not trust Tesla info when the other side of the equation is the IRS and my financial future. I've experienced far too much ineptness from Tesla over the years in matters such as this to trust them completely.