Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It only honks on one side....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

radiocycle

Supporting Member
Apr 13, 2017
Portland, OR
I guess I should have noticed this the day I took delivery, but I didn't. So if I push on the center portion of the steering wheel to honk the horn, it works fine on the right side. But try to honk using the left side of that center piece and nothing. It sure seems like an easy fix and I'm tempted to try and pull the center part out of the wheel so that I could inspect it myself. I'm just afraid to pull very hard on that unit for fear of breaking something, setting off the air bag, etc. So, I guess I'll just have to make an appt. to bring it in to the San Rafael service center. I'm thinking it won't take very long to fix... anyone else have a half-honking horn??

radio

Reactions: Ruben010101
Ha! I have the same issue. Just discovered it yesterday as someone was changing lanes on my left into the adjacent lane and looked like they were going to hit my M3. I tried hitting the horn with my left hand and nothing! I was in panick mode slapping the steering wheel but nothing. Luckily they didn’t come all the way over, but it could have been a disaster if they had come over into my lane and the horn would not activate. Confirmed later that the right side works, but not the left hand side. Have <1k miles so car is quite new, looks like we will have to make an appointment with the service center in Raleigh.

Reactions: radiocycle
This issue was concerning for me because I am left handed and a few owners from the same FB groups I am in posted about this and some with their own video clips. Some users had mentioned that a few tabs needed to be pressed in to make better contact under the steering wheel. I probably would have never caught it till an event happened and since I hardly honk the horn but it makes sense from a safety standpoint since our cars are so quiet.
Scheduled an appointment and a Tesla Ranger came out a few weeks ago to look at the issue and said he could not find anything wrong and to just press harder. He even brought a replacement steering wheel with him in case it needed to be replaced which he said didn't need. Part of the troubleshooting process was that the ranger had to reset the windows from a panel in the rear right passenger foot well area after I saw him in my security camera with the hood open and the rear door open and questioned why he had to work in that area. I assumed since he did the normal diagnostics and just took his word for it about pressing harder.

Here is my video before it was fixed, squeaks, instead of honking on the left side:
Here is my video after it was fixed at the Service Center in Dublin, CA:

I was in the paint issue queue which they finally addressed.
I brought up the horn issue again and they fixed it.
Honks as it should on both sides now!

• Helpful
Reactions: radiocycle