Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It works. Used a Tesla wall charger to charge the smart car today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently bought an adapter that allows charging of our leaf or smart ED with a Tesla destination charger. Although we don't expect to use it a lot there are a few destinations we visit, (namely wineries and a couple other spots) that didn't realize there were other EV charge formats other than Tesla when they put in their charging infrastructure. As a result they only have a Tesla charge point and it is difficult to add additional facilities. So we bought a Tesla adapter and tried it out today. Works great. Now we have a back up plan. We are making a little card up we can hang it on the plug so if a Tesla user really needs it he/she can text us and we can come and free it up. Manners first.

Thanks Elon.

38093494912_1d852591cf_z.jpg

26348605619_8b105bd840_z.jpg

There are a few destinations we visit that didn't realize there were other EV charge formats other than Tesla when they put in their charging infrastructure.
How did you come to that conclusion -did you ask them?

I know Tesla has sometimes offered businesses destination charges for free...perhaps that's why they decided to install Tesla chargers? Maybe had the other manufacturers made similar offers to businesses they would have happily installed those?

Last edited:
Glad it works and everyone is happy. Your Smartcar probably has a much smaller battery and charging is more critical for you. The Tesla's have a much bigger battery and so long as no one is sitting idle (ie completed their charge but still connected), then this is a good use of resources. I have a tag that I keep on my charger door that has my cell number when I use a Destination charger. It has two sides - critical charging and opportunity charging. Opportunity just means I want to top up my battery but really I have enough to make it to my next destination. I welcome anyone to simply text me if they need my spot and I will come out and move my car.

So that adaptor goes from the Tesla cable to a J1772 charge port? Or does your Smart car have a CCS combo charger port?

Where did you buy the adaptor from?

Howdy.

The adapter adapts from a Telsa wall station to a J1772 car input. Both our Nissan Leaf and smart ED have a J1772 L2 /L1 input. The Leaf has Chademo DCFC and smart has no DCFC.

Purchased from these guys. I paid 229.

Quick Charge Power | Electric Vehicle Charging Solutions

• Informative
Reactions: Takumi
Threads elsewhere on this type of device report that not all Tesla destination chargers work with them, at least not without some finesse. The newer model chargers at destinations (vs home models) seem to have trouble. Not sure if there are more than one type, so it may be model dependent too. Bottom line, don't depend too much on your backup plan.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
How did you come to that conclusion -did you ask them?

I know Tesla has sometimes offered businesses destination charges for free...perhaps that's why they decided to install Tesla chargers? Maybe had the other manufacturers made similar offers to businesses they would have happily installed those?

They not only provide the destination chargers themselves, but Tesla also pays for the installation, provided they find the electrical installation quote to be reasonable and the install well-designed by a licensed electrician. They even have a sample quote for what they want businesses to send them:

Example Quote

Threads elsewhere on this type of device report that not all Tesla destination chargers work with them, at least not without some finesse. The newer model chargers at destinations (vs home models) seem to have trouble. Not sure if there are more than one type, so it may be model dependent too. Bottom line, don't depend too much on your backup plan.

From what I gather there are some where you have to wait 30 seconds. We have tried it on both a home unit and a commercial unit and both worked. We were only hooked up for 5 minutes to test though. I'm assuming if it worked for 5 minutes it will work for longer.

I'm guessing Tesla spent their own money to pay for these chargers to be installed at destinations with the intent that only their cars would use them -- a competitive advantage investment, you might say.

I wonder what their response will be to other cars taking advantage of their investment with no benefit to Tesla...

Charging Partners | Tesla

Well, the power is paid by the property, and some do charge Tesla owners to use them. So if the property is OK with it, I don’t think Tesla puts any restrictions on it. They sometimes provide J1772 chargers too as part of the program.

I'm guessing Tesla spent their own money to pay for these chargers to be installed at destinations with the intent that only their cars would use them -- a competitive advantage investment, you might say.

I wonder what their response will be to other cars taking advantage of their investment with no benefit to Tesla...

Charging Partners | Tesla

From what I understand Tesla quite often provides a Tesla unit and a Clipper creek unit so my guess is they would be OK with it. As well, I often see Teslas hooked up to J1772 plugs so my guess is there is also an adapter that goes the other way.

I think it's super smart for businesses to stipulate a J1772 must also be installed as part of participating in the charging partners program. Sometimes it is local government ordinance that requires it, and that's also super smart of that municipality.

But, the Tesla HPWC install is 100% intended for Tesla owners only. Just read the verbiage on the page I linked, and the brochure they give to businesses. I've never been on the business-end of one of the deals, so I can only guess what the terms of the deal are, but look at the language they use:

"Tesla’s bespoke charging solutions give us a distinct competitive advantage over other automotive manufacturers."

"This allows full-service hotels, resorts, and restaurants to directly market to and attract Tesla owners. Our owners often craft their vacations and business trips around charging availability. By providing Destination Charging for your customers, you place yourself prominently in our owners’ view through Tesla’s Find Us web page and the 17” Touchscreen Navigation in every Tesla vehicle"

"The Tesla Wall Connector is a Tesla-specifc, Level-2 charging station. It can deliver up to 58 miles of range per hour to Tesla vehicles. It’s elegant construction and minimal footprint is designed to ft in nearly any location and enhance the aesthetics of your property."

"With the installation of Tesla Destination Charging, your property will join a rapidly growing network of premium destinations throughout North America for our owners to enjoy. In addition to being featured on Tesla’s website and in-vehicle touchscreen, partner properties will have full access to Tesla’s portfolio of marketing platforms."

As well, I often see Teslas hooked up to J1772 plugs so my guess is there is also an adapter that goes the other way.

It's true that Tesla ships a J1772 adapter so their owners can use general standard chargers in addition to Tesla-specific charging locations. But, I think the idea that this means they'd appreciate an adapter that does the opposite is probably a stretch.

By extension, would Tesla be OK with an adapter that allows a Leaf or Chevy Bolt to use the Tesla Supercharger network?

(rhetorical question, of course, they wouldn't be OK with that. Elon has said any manufacturer that pays up can use the network, but otherwise it's for Tesla cars only)

This is another situation that has popped up occasionally at a local golf course, like maybe twice in 2 years, but once was kinda critical. Unknown what the reason for this was. Maybe another Tesla was parked in the other spot. No worries. It happens. As you can see from the picture the Tesla charger and spot is free and Clipper creek spot is occupied by the Tesla. That day, I could have used this new adapter that I just purchased.

24302024558_c70e11972f_z.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve always thought Tesla’s proprietary network is unsustainable. Obviously we aren’t going to have a charging network for each automaker.

But for now, the situation is such that cars with universal connectors are at a disadvantage because of Tesla’s first mover advantage and use of a proprietary connector to exercise some lock-in as part of their competitive strategy.

It’ll be super interesting to watch this evolve over the next 10 years. But I’m certain that if these adapters became prevalent Tesla would do something to stop them working until something changes that prevents them from doing so.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Reactions: David29
I’ve always thought Tesla’s proprietary network is unsustainable. Obviously we aren’t going to have a charging network for each automaker.

But for now, the situation is such that cars with universal connectors are at a disadvantage because of Tesla’s first mover advantage and use of a proprietary connector to exercise some lock-in as part of their competitive strategy.

It’ll be super interesting to watch this evolve over the next 10 years. But I’m certain that if these adapters became prevalent Tesla would do something to stop them working until something changes that prevents them from doing so.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

Yah, you may be right and I thought about that. At some point newer deployed units might do some kind of serial number check or something more generic. It wouldn't take much really. In the meantime although I hope I don't have to use it much it will come in handy for our needs. However, my approach and attitude will be that Tesla owners get first dibs on tesla chargers. Like I said, there is always time for good manners.

Reactions: mal_tsla
We've had instances where a non Tesla car/adapter has tripped the HPWC and left it out of service for weeks. The local business was not aware where the charger was fed from to attempt a reset.

As an owner and shareholder I want Tesla to rule the world, not our competitors. The BIG RED SIGN associated with destination charging has the Tesla logo and some other statement. To me that means Tesla vehicles only, Clipper Creek unit or not. The install with a Clipper Creek unit appears unique to NA.

Reactions: Julie's MS
I have shied away from Apple towards Android because I dislike Apple's requirements for propriety hardware/software. I not a huge fan of Tesla's Apple like approach to things. I also appreciate that Nissan dealerships allow any car to charge there.

Tesla (car buyers/stock holders) is spending exponentially more on their network so hopefully there should be some extra consideration why there is interest in using it for it's intended purpose.